Linn Forums

Full Version: Connecting a Majik DS to a simple XP network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
SBE Wrote:Well I opened the link regarding the Homehub and had a look at reply #5. Now I see what you mean.

Simon.

Hi Simon

You should see what Rik wrote and then I wrote about the BT Hometub in a previous post by clicking here. It will both exactly describe the quality and hopefully also give you a good laugh too!

Bri
Hi Bri, I had not idea it was quite that bad.

As your friend put it, ‘some nice design and BT branding’ – has taken in a lot of people.

How depressingly like a big corporate.

Having said that, however, the Homehub I share has behaved itself reasonably well in its broadband role.

But, in the DS context, I imagine I’ve probably avoided a lot of potential Homehub-related network problems by getting the Netgear router - we’ll see.
Hi

It's even worse than that in fact Smile

It was a surprise to me; I used to work in BT and know that they extensively evaluate any product prior to launch. Having worked in BT I'm surprised and can only guess that they either didn't pass this via the research labs at Adastral Park or some senior BT Retail person just decided to go with it despite its limitations. I often dealt with some of the IP people at Adastral when I was responding to complex network tenders and know that they really were top, top people when it came to technology which is why I am so surprised.

Incidentally, I've just been talking to a networks expert (not a BT one, I've left there now) and he agrees that Krisweir's plan to get a second router and put it on a different subnet and link the two is absolutely spot on. It will leave the Hometub available for the broadband connection and IP phone so give you the best of both worlds; getting the Netgear router was a sound plan!

Bri
Briain Wrote:Hi

It's even worse than that in fact Smile

It was a surprise to me; I used to work in BT and know that they extensively evaluate any product prior to launch. Having worked in BT I'm surprised and can only guess that they either didn't pass this via the research labs at Adastral Park

I was sent a free Home Hub 2.0 by BT. With all this discussion I'm wondering if it is worth getting it out of the box?

I don't have any other "802.11n" gear, but the "BT FON" feature seems interesting.

Anyone have any experience using BT FON, (either as an access point, or when roaming?)
Briain Wrote:Incidentally, I've just been talking to a networks expert (not a BT one, I've left there now) and he agrees that Krisweir's plan to get a second router and put it on a different subnet and link the two is absolutely spot on. It will leave the Hometub available for the broadband connection and IP phone so give you the best of both worlds; getting the Netgear router was a sound plan!

That’s all great to know! And it’s been most gratifying to have received all the expert advice and general feeling of good will from the forum.

I think there must be quite a few people in the same boat as myself - those who bought a DS device but underestimated the complexities of plumbing it in, and now need step-by-step guidance through network basics.
Hi to All

I finally got the Netgear router WGR 614, and have been most impressed, not least by the idiot proof startup CD which walked me through the process of setting up the network and took care of the configuration.

My fears of having to do complicated operations with addresses and DHCP etc were – I’m very relieved to say - groundless.

After connecting the router to the Homehub the LAN side of things was straight forward: the Majik stopped flashing (IP address now assigned) and I was able to get on with installing the rest of the software. Ironically, this part proved harder that starting the network: I had problems in getting Linn GUI and Config to find the Majik, but got there in the end.

So now I have a working DS system!

My thanks, again, to everybody for the all the interest, offers of help, and excellent advice.

Simon.

PS As for the sound: very nice, it’s clear, open, and detailed, but initially a bit ‘brittle’ and hard. However, this aspect is improving with use, and I’m not too concerned: I know kit of this caliber usually needs a lengthy burn-in time.
Glad to hear it all went well, Simon!

Funnily enough, I was going through the setup for a WGR614 today, to create a DS users' setup guide. Normally I don't use the CDs for this kind of thing, but I thought I'd give it a go, since many users (yourself included) find this easier.

Glad to hear it worked for you, but after a couple of steps, I got a major error:
"NIC helper - Internal Error. Syntax Error in Automat file Mhstate.inf"
If you Google the above error, you'll see I'm not alone in having this problem - doesn't appear to be a fix, though.

Gave up on the CD at that point! As I said I try to avoid using them in general, as they can leave a lot of junk on the PC and sometimes break things.

Did you get the wireless network working properly? Have you set up encryption? In general, I'd recommend doing it without encryption first, checking it's working reliably, then encrypt at the highest level that all your wireless devices can cope with (which is often WPA1-TKIP if you're using XP.)

Definitely worth encrypting though, and changing your router password!

I'll post the non-CD WGR614 setup procedure as a new thread.

Hope you enjoy your system, and it continues to mellow with age (as do we all, hopefully.)

Are you using flac files for your music? Definitely the best option for CD ripping. I'd recommend EAC (Exact Audio Copy) for doing this. It's free and very good.

If you want to hear what your DS is really capable of, try downloading one of the Linn Records studio master quality recordings from http://www.linnrecords.com - some of these are really stunning!
Hi Kris

krisweir Wrote:Glad to hear it worked for you, but after a couple of steps, I got a major error:
"NIC helper - Internal Error. Syntax Error in Automat file Mhstate.inf"
If you Google the above error, you'll see I'm not alone in having this problem - doesn't appear to be a fix, though.

Gave up on the CD at that point! As I said I try to avoid using them in general, as they can leave a lot of junk on the PC and sometimes break things.

Yikes! It sounds a if I’ve had a narrow escape in using the CD.

Had I “received NIC helper - Internal Error. Syntax Error in Automat file Mhstate.inf” it would have confirmed my worst fears of networks – ie they are too hard and difficult for the likes of me.

I wonder what triggered this response in the machine you were working with – and why not mine?

krisweir Wrote:Did you get the wireless network working properly? Have you set up encryption? In general, I'd recommend doing it without encryption first, checking it's working reliably, then encrypt at the highest level that all your wireless devices can cope with (which is often WPA1-TKIP if you're using XP.)

Regarding wireless: now the comp. sees both Homehub and Netgear (which is unencrypted). At the moment I’m using neither, mainly because I don’t really need to.

I prefer to keep the wired network to the router for streaming audio, and I don’t as yet have a wireless control point.

Wireless is a subject I want look at more in the New Year, when I’ll probably want to pick your brain about encryption etc.

krisweir Wrote:Are you using flac files for your music? Definitely the best option for CD ripping. I'd recommend EAC (Exact Audio Copy) for doing this. It's free and very good.

Yes, I’m using flac, along with Ripfactory DS. I do also use EAC. When I get more time (ie after Christmas) I’d like to do some audio comparisons between the two.

Come to think of it, if it ‘s not been done before, perhaps this would be a useful/interestng new thread – perhaps as a ‘pole’: EAC v Ripfactory DS – to compare people's views on the sound quality of the rips obtianed with each.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?
If you're not using the unencrypted wireless network (and you don't live in the middle of a very large field) I'd strongly recommend you switch it off! As far as I remember, this is under Advanced/Wireless in the Netgear GUI. No point in leaving a hole in your network, even if it just means your neighbour can steal your bandwidth!

Re sound quality, I don't think there's really likely to be much difference. Flac is after all a lossless compression algorithm. In the absence of errors, when you convert a flac file back to WAV before it goes to the DAC it should be identical to the original.

I have found EAC to be less prone to errors though, and therefore to pops and clicks at the beginning of tracks.
krisweir Wrote:If you're not using the unencrypted wireless network (and you don't live in the middle of a very large field) I'd strongly recommend you switch it off!

Actually, living in rural Devon, this isn't too much of a problem: my nearest neighbour is a ten minute walk away. Nonetheless having the encryption ‘on’ seems preferable to 'off'. But as I'm away from home at the present, and will be until the new year, this will have to wait.

krisweir Wrote:Re sound quality, I don't think there's really likely to be much difference. Flac is after all a lossless compression algorithm. In the absence of errors, when you convert a flac file back to WAV before it goes to the DAC it should be identical to the original.

I expect your right about this, but EAC's analysis of the CD drive and drive related parameters during instillation does, presumably, help to get better accuracy at the rip stage.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's