Linn Forums
Davaar DS Software officially released - Printable Version

+- Linn Forums (https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb)
+-- Forum: Announcements, News and Events (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Announcements & Linn News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Davaar DS Software officially released (/showthread.php?tid=11105)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Davaar DS Software officially released - oliverh - 2011-05-05 16:42

We're delighted to announce the first official release of Davaar software, including firmware updates for all DS players and new versions of KinskyDesktop and Konfig.

Main features are listed below, including Songcast support which allows a DS to 'tune-in' to another DS within a multiroom system, playing back whatever source is playing on the first DS with perfect synchronisation. Party Time Smile

For help upgrading see http://www.linn.co.uk/ds_upgrade and remember to check compatibility with any third party control apps before upgrading!

Linn DS Software Update Released (Davaar 1)
Updates are available for Klimax DS, Akurate DS, Akurate Kontrol, Majik DS, Majik DS-I, Sneaky Music DS, Sekrit DS-I and Renew DS.
Songcast support allows a DS to 'tune-in' to another DS within a multiroom system, playing back whatever source is playing on the first DS with perfect synchronisation.
• Songcast also allows external sources such as an LP12 to be streamed from a DS with inputs (Majik DS-I, Sekrit DS-I) to any other DS player
• OpenHome support allows interaction with other OpenHome network players and control points
• Improved handling of recordings with excessive dynamic range compression
• Improved control through Auto Play and Startup Mode settings
• Works with all Davaar-compatible control point software
• Requires the latest version of Linn Konfig to update your device

Linn Konfig Released (Davaar 1)
Update and configure all Linn DS players and devices on the network
• Required to update any Cara (or older) devices to Davaar
• Required to configure any Davaar devices

KinskyDesktop Released (Davaar 1)
Select and play music on your Davaar-compatible Linn DS player from a Windows PC or Apple Mac.
• Songcast support allows a DS to 'tune-in' to another DS within a multiroom system
• Simplified user interface and updated style
• Faster browsing of library album artwork
• Full screen album artwork during playback
• Auto-update functionality (Windows only)
• Works with all Davaar-compatible devices

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Beta Programme and helped test and inspire functionality.

An official news item will appear on Linn News soon but we wanted to give forum members a heads up that Davaar was out of Beta.

Subscribe to the Software Release Feed for automatic updates: http://products.linn.co.uk/VersionInfo/ReleaseVersionInfo.xml [EDIT: link fixed]

RE: Davaar DS Software officially released - stunta - 2011-05-05 19:14

> Songcast also allows external sources such as an LP12 to be streamed from a DS with inputs (Majik DS-I, Sekrit DS-I) to any other DS player

Didn't know this was part of Davaar until now. I won't be able to make use of this, but this is very very cool.

RE: Davaar DS Software officially released - Rik - 2011-05-05 20:03

Congratulations all - been a long slog but the results are worth it.

Rik

RE: Davaar DS Software officially released - Briain - 2011-05-05 20:04

Hi

Yes it is very useful! I use it to pipe technical podcasts from my WD Live TV Hub into the Toslink input of my MDS-I (all in my TV room at the back of the house) to my lounge (KDS system at the front of the house). This now means I can stroll from the back through to my office (at the front) and still hear the podcast programme in my office (it's right next to the lounge) as opposed to the old method; leave the TV room door open and crank the DS-I/Ninka system up way too loud (for the neighbours comfort).

Songcasting verdict: Nice one Linn R&D folks, this is a massive leap forwards! I absolutely love it and I will be using Songcast a lot going forwards (I've still to install my Sneaky to get the three zones sync'd up) Smile

Bri

RE: Davaar DS Software officially released - Arnold - 2011-05-05 20:10

An update that offers a lot: improvement in sound, new functionality and beautifull restyling.

Congrats and big thanks to the people of Linn for these updates!

RE: Davaar DS Software officially released - morris-on - 2011-05-05 22:58

I run the risk of exposing my ignorance here, but I will ask the question anyway.

On opening Konfig today the message "Konfig Software Update Available 4.1.10 (Davaar)" followed by a warning "Compatibility break from Cara". The Update Now or Update Later options imply that I need to update (as there is no "do not remind me again" option).

My question, therefore, is what does the "compatibility break from Cara" actually mean, as my DSi is successfully running the Cara 10 software? Do I need to upgrade? Does Davaar 4.1.10 address the inability to re awaken the DSi from its sleep without manually switching it of and then on again? I am running a Mac, just to add to the mix.

Any comments gratefully received.

RE: Davaar DS Software officially released - entdgc - 2011-05-05 23:09

(2011-05-05 22:58)morris-on Wrote:  My question, therefore, is what does the "compatibility break from Cara" actually mean

Davaar is a new "family of software" and so all software components must be from the same family. This means that if you update the firmware on your DS you must also update your control software (whether it be Kinsky Desktop, ChorusDs, Songbook, Plugplayer et al).
So do you NEED to update - if its working no! Do you WANT to update - yes as i think you will like what you see and hear!

Dave

RE: Davaar DS Software officially released - GTS - 2011-05-06 13:06

Following the update order cited on the Linn website (Konfig; DS; then control software), I have just updated Konfig, but cannot now see my Akurate DS listed in Konfig (and so cannot update or run). I have tried turning ADS on and off, but Konfig still not showing it -- any ideas, please?

RE: Davaar DS Software officially released - Happy Harry - 2011-05-06 15:55

(2011-05-06 13:06)GTS Wrote:  Following the update order cited on the Linn website (Konfig; DS; then control software), I have just updated Konfig, but cannot now see my Akurate DS listed in Konfig (and so cannot update or run). I have tried turning ADS on and off, but Konfig still not showing it -- any ideas, please?

Sounds like a firewall issue, the new iteration of Konfig may have to be given network access. That'll depend on the firewall you're running.

RE: Davaar DS Software officially released - GTS - 2011-05-06 16:35

Issue now resolved. I tried a few things, but the one that worked was to delete the Konfig file and then to re-install it. Konfig instantly detected my ADS -- so on with the other updates!