Linn Forums
Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Printable Version

+- Linn Forums (https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb)
+-- Forum: Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Hi-Fi Separates and Components (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure (/showthread.php?tid=12096)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Tony Tune-age - 2012-07-31 15:37

All good stuff for sure Dr. Eddie, and it makes plenty of sense too! Still wish I could listen to both pairs in active and passive mode Cool.
Looking forward to the follow-up review.

Cheers!
(2012-07-31 15:28)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  I could use these passively, using the crossover boxes built for the earlier pair. The components used are identical.
Its just that passive is a huge let down once you've heard what an Active system can do. Thus I went straight to full on Active.

So these are equally as flexible as the earlier pair. I can thus send 2 power amps back to Naim for servicing or repair and still be able to listen to my system, but in passive mode only.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - skott2772 - 2012-08-14 21:30

Hi, i see some one has already wet your appetite ref 3 amp acive. I wanted to run this by you and any other forum member who could shed some light on the below.

I was reading an old thread on another forum which interested me. Unlike most/ all other Linn Isobariks the Sara's are Isobarik across both the mid and bass.

Some one has suggested that if the Sara's were 3 amp active with the front B200 doing both bass and mid with the rear B200 only doing bass. I think the suggestion was that The Isobarik principle gets a bit muddled the higher the frequency.

Any ideas to the pro's and con's of this set up?

Ps just ordered some off those Tweeters as the reason the pair of Sara's I bought cheaply weren't sounding good was because both tweeters had blown!Big Grin

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Dr_Eddie - 2012-08-15 00:15

HI Skott, thanks for the heads up with the three way active Sara. I have considered the 3 way bit, especially as I was rebuilding the 2nd pair. Now the new pair have had about 70 hours of music pumped through them the gains have been astonishing. The early brutality has completely abated and they are now extremely sweet, powerful, and just about the most astonishingly dynamic speaker I have ever heard. This is a speaker that fully deserves the PMS moniker.
Quite simply it walks all over any studio monitor that I have ever encountered. The information resolved is beyond belief. I had someone here last week counting all the instruments he could hear on a Tower of Power track playing. He got it right too.
The gains from using a large magnet driver instead of a small magnet are much more pronounced than even I thought possible. I would hazard a guess that going 3 way active would yield benefits, but only at extremely high power settings when the 2nd amps on the bass channels ( I would use the same 2 way active X-over with a double XLR lead on the bass channel ) are running out of steam. Because in practice, this rarely seems to happen ( 135's are incredibly powerful ) the new drivers are much more efficient and hence the amp can play loud at lower power settings. For now, I am very happy with the performance. I get blown away by every disc that finds its way onto the LP12

The Isobarik principle all hinges quite rightly , as you say , that both drivers move in tandem. That keeps the pressure chamber equalised. Defeat that and you defeat all the gains this loading offers.

It is though surprising how much of the HF is handled by the B200, if you switch off the HF channels, so I can understand how you were fooled. You will have a very fun time ahead, I can assure you. Keep us posted, and good luck with the install.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Cymbiosis - 2012-09-18 23:02

(2012-08-15 00:15)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  HI Skott, thanks for the heads up with the three way active Sara. I have considered the 3 way bit, especially as I was rebuilding the 2nd pair. Now the new pair have had about 70 hours of music pumped through them the gains have been astonishing. The early brutality has completely abated and they are now extremely sweet, powerful, and just about the most astonishingly dynamic speaker I have ever heard.

A little update on Eddie's "three way active" comment above............. Eddie and I were working on his new system until the early hours of this morning. Everything now needs to settle down/warm up and in a couple of cases run in.

I'll let Eddie fill in the details, as I need an early night after looking after three other clients in London today!

KR

Peter

[Image: p11700261.jpg]

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Tony Tune-age - 2012-09-19 13:03

By the way, does the picture posted above by Peter belong to Dr. Eddie? It certainly looks good in any case!

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Dr_Eddie - 2012-09-19 17:22

Phew, it certainly was a long night, but as usual Peter's fastidiousness with Naim and Linn installation has paid off. I haven't been able to tear myself away from the system for nearly two days.
So after much modification I am now the proud owner of a 3 way Active Sara system, however once I got involved in the cabinet modifications they appear to look somewhat different to their usual look.
I will take a couple of pictures which may reveal just what modifications were necessary to turn a 2 way Active Sara into a 3 way.

Once again thanks Peter, for an outstanding set up ( I haven't moved them a nanometre this time, honest ). Sorry not to reply earlier, but I got into full on- ooh- let's try this- then another- and another- just one more album and I'll have tea- and guess what went hungry again.

What a way to lose weight !!! anyway without more ado here's the 3 way Active Sara.
BTW Tony the above picture was Peter's.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Tony Tune-age - 2012-09-19 17:37

Always interesting reading Dr. Eddie Cool. So, with your new three way Sara speakers, are you using three Naim mono power amplifiers per speaker, or three Naim stereo power amplifiers for both speakers?

(2012-09-19 17:22)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Phew, it certainly was a long night, but as usual Peter's fastidiousness with Naim and Linn installation has paid off. I haven't been able to tear myself away from the system for nearly two days.
So after much modification I am now the proud owner of a 3 way Active Sara system, however once I got involved in the cabinet modifications they appear to look somewhat different to their usual look.
I will take a couple of pictures which may reveal just what modifications were necessary to turn a 2 way Active Sara into a 3 way.

Once again thanks Peter, for an outstanding set up ( I haven't moved them a nanometre this time, honest ). Sorry not to reply earlier, but I got into full on- ooh- let's try this- then another- and another- just one more album and I'll have tea- and guess what went hungry again.

What a way to lose weight !!! anyway without more ado here's the 3 way Active Sara.
BTW Tony the above picture was Peter's.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Dr_Eddie - 2012-09-19 17:51

Hopefully Tony, all will be revealed....................................

[Image: DSC00978.jpg]

[Image: DSC00979.jpg]

[Image: DSC00980.jpg]

[Image: DSC00981.jpg]

[Image: DSC00982.jpg]

S'funny, but they look sort of familiar, I'm sure someones's done this before.
So at 10.00 am, I'm down the gym working out....................by 11.00pm, I've got a genuine six pack. Now that's a record.

Keep tuned for the full story, for now its time to spin the black stuff.
Full Review to follow after about 40 hours running in, usual format.
Peter, many thanks, hope the Whittlebury show goes well, and hope to see you on Sunday there.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Tony Tune-age - 2012-09-19 18:31

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to reading more Cool Enjoy the vinyl session!

(2012-09-19 17:51)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Hopefully Tony, all will be revealed....................................

[Image: DSC00978.jpg]

[Image: DSC00979.jpg]

[Image: DSC00980.jpg]

[Image: DSC00981.jpg]

[Image: DSC00982.jpg]

S'funny, but they look sort of familiar, I'm sure someones's done this before.
So at 10.00 am, I'm down the gym working out....................by 11.00pm, I've got a genuine six pack. Now that's a record.

Keep tuned for the full story, for now its time to spin the black stuff.
Full Review to follow after about 40 hours running in, usual format.
Peter, many thanks, hope the Whittlebury show goes well, and hope to see you on Sunday there.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Dr_Eddie - 2012-09-19 18:40

My Dad always said "use what little space you have more effectively ".
But I don't think I'll get anything more in that alcove .............................................