Linn Forums
Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Printable Version

+- Linn Forums (https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb)
+-- Forum: Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Hi-Fi Separates and Components (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure (/showthread.php?tid=12096)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - mrco99 - 2012-10-24 15:58

Great story!
Thanks for sharing.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Mr Onion - 2012-10-25 08:23

(2012-10-24 13:40)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  There is information in the story about Ivor's new baby daughter who was named Sara at the same time the speaker was being developed. Both the baby and the new speaker were small but made lots of noise....................Ivor thus decided to name the new speaker S.A.R.A. Isobarik.
This stands for Small Acoustic Reproduction Apparatus. It lives well up to that moniker.

... but more importantly is it pronounced

S air A

or

S arr A

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Dr_Eddie - 2012-10-29 14:45

I would say S arr A.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Mr Onion - 2012-10-29 17:09

Thats what I have always thought Eddie (mainly because I knew a S arr A many years ago. She was small and cute too Wink )

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Dr_Eddie - 2012-11-01 13:46

OK newstime. How did the Sara X's fare against the Isobariks ? A full review is on its way, but I can tell you this much here and now. It was by no means a defeat for the Saras.
In fact the Briks needed a bit of work to bring them up to a spec where they could compete on a level playing field.

Once I had done this and burnt them in with the cables and brand new Snaxo2 crossover then critical listening could begin. It has taken literally ages to get a handle on what is different and whether or not one is better than the other. In a straight AB heard in a dealers dem room these Sara x's are the more impressive speaker without a doubt.

But its not that simple, there is much more to it where music is concerned, but, last night I played some records by one artist that nailed it for me. I can now start to put my thoughts down on paper after literally weeks of listening, yes, its that close.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Tony Tune-age - 2012-11-01 13:57

Don't forget pictures Cool

(2012-11-01 13:46)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  OK newstime. How did the Sara X's fare against the Isobariks ? A full review is on its way, but I can tell you this much here and now. It was by no means a defeat for the Saras.
In fact the Briks needed a bit of work to bring them up to a spec where they could compete on a level playing field.

Once I had done this and burnt them in with the cables and brand new Snaxo2 crossover then critical listening could begin. It has taken literally ages to get a handle on what is different and whether or not one is better than the other. In a straight AB heard in a dealers dem room these Sara x's are the more impressive speaker without a doubt.

But its not that simple, there is much more to it where music is concerned, but, last night I played some records by one artist that nailed it for me. I can now start to put my thoughts down on paper after literally weeks of listening, yes, its that close.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Dr_Eddie - 2012-11-01 18:37

I'll include pictures where necessary, because it will make the review more complete. They can be found elsewhere on this thread mostly, but it will save people trawling through stuff they've already read or not that interested in.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - wolfmanjack - 2012-11-02 14:05

While waiting for pictures i can fill in with a couple of images,today these animals arrived by car through two pair of middlehands,from Stockholm,Umeå and finally to the backseat of my car at the side of the highway E4 some kilometres south of the arctic pole circle.

I never heared Saras before,i have a late pair of Isobariks and Keltiks and prefeer the briks if i had to choose to keep just one of the loudspeakers. I have no doubt that the Keltiks are better but they doesnt have the very special thing that the "Briks" deliver.

Hopefully the Saras does the same thing,perhaps in smaller scale,but still,perhaps a loudspeaker for me,however,i am happy as a kid on christmas!

[Image: B0AF0DA2-2056-4F85-ACA7-64F471AB42C2-106...A386F6.jpg]

[Image: A47362A1-3402-45E8-A576-E216AF493DBD-106...69A172.jpg]

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - mrco99 - 2012-11-02 14:16

Nicely illustrated intro!
What are you going to play them with?

I´m keeping tuned for your update Wink

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Tony Tune-age - 2012-11-02 14:56

Nice pictures, hope they sound good too ! ! ! Look forward to your thoughts.