Linn Forums
Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Printable Version

+- Linn Forums (https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb)
+-- Forum: Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Hi-Fi Separates and Components (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure (/showthread.php?tid=12096)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Dr_Eddie - 2012-11-02 17:22

Well I think you will be fairly well surprised, they offer a scale of performance that can match the Isobarik. However, I think I understand what you mean about the Briks. It will be interesting to compare notes and preferences. With the Sara, you do get a lot more out of the box than you are expecting. Yours look in fine fettle too, nice clean white bellies............lots of tight, tactile bass, waiting to get out.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - wolfmanjack - 2012-11-03 02:59

I havent had the time yet to try them,one of my brothers in law has borrowed my stack of LK2´s and the other have my stands and on top of that my wife visited the IKEA warehouse yesturday and returned with a never ending pile of packages with various construction kits for me to get psychotic by assembling. Probably i am an complete idiot and everybody else thinks they are fun and easy to put together but im not. Finally all of the shelvels,tables,and sofas is finished and assembled and now one at last can enjoy a Bob Dylan record on the turntable.

I havent decided the final goal picture yet with the Saras but when i returned to my Linn addiction i had a vision of a old school LK system and keep things simple. A pair of Kans,a decent Sondek,naim amps or LK1 &LK280´s or Isobariks again as in the mid 1990´s as i was very happy with the briks,LK280/spark. Then i had to went through all of the vintage products and some of the other animals too before i realised that some things hadnt changed. I still know what i like and on top of that i guess one could call me a fetish for the old gear.

Initially i am planning to try to amplificate the Saras with a Klout and a Klimax Kontrol/1,a Linto and a Sondek with 90´s specs(Ekos2,Circus,Troika,Lingo and so on..)and if i find them to be my cup of tea i planning to try to run them on a LK280 and another DIY Klimax kontrol/0 inside a scrapped LK1 with Dirak,ofcourse just for the fun of it but who knows,it could be a cute system to have in the relax departement late afternoons when my wife has occupied my listening room where my Briks and Keltiks are located...

I believe Saras i a must try sometime during a lifetime,i am very curious and looking forward to the experience,they could be a perfect small winter project,the are not mint condition but seems to be an easy task to work with. As soon as i have listened to the saras i will report how they felt to my ears. Cheers! /Niclas

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Dr_Eddie - 2012-11-03 11:33

Great way to approach this, the ideal way to have fun without dismantling your main system. I think I might pursue a similar venture in my back room. Life without Saras is akin to becoming a monk in a monastery...............they are such an exuberant speaker. Fun factor and all that.
Thanks for stimulating the old grey matter Wolf.

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - wolfmanjack - 2012-11-05 04:12

Just went home after a tour with my Saras. Must hit the bed now,it is 4 in the morning,first impression is that i just love the Saras!

Detailed report tomorrow!
[Image: AF8237AE-E5A6-4AEE-A00C-C98609F83B94-964...32CE40.jpg]

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Dr_Eddie - 2012-11-05 11:00

Yep, things like food and bed seem to be of little consideration when listening to these little babies, mind you with a picture like that, it puts you in the right frame of mind. Great room too, Linn on a decent wallshelf, mood lighting.............teltale bluelight, you must be in bulk ( as they used to say in Liverpool.)
Can't wait for your full report........................

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Tony Tune-age - 2012-11-05 12:45

Nice set-up and picture wolfmanjack, looking forward to more information! Cool

(2012-11-05 04:12)wolfmanjack Wrote:  Just went home after a tour with my Saras. Must hit the bed now,it is 4 in the morning,first impression is that i just love the Saras!

Detailed report tomorrow!
[Image: AF8237AE-E5A6-4AEE-A00C-C98609F83B94-964...32CE40.jpg]

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - wolfmanjack - 2012-11-06 02:33

Okay,here we go:
First of all thanks to Pekka for his hospitality and patience,who let me be at his place and supplied me with his hardware and listening room. We began with replace the keltik monocards from all of his klouts and switched his beatiful Keltiks for the Saras. Off we went and heated the amp up with a Sneaky DS through a Klimax Kontrol and played a couple of tunes that one of our local Linn retailer use to play,Christy Moore just to meantion one "-we sat down and had a drink" you all know the tune i guess..

We sat there speachless,didnt know what to think really. After some tracks we fired up the Sondek,a deck fitted with Keel,Radikal,Ekos2 and a EsCo Troika with few hours. There is a lot of fun in these old style speakers i have to say. Perhaps the tweeters have seen its days but still there is plenty of rock n roll in such a small package. The timing and grunt in just stunnig. My friend claimed that they had something that the Keltik miss. I have to agree. They ofcourse miss lot of features from the Keltiks too but i could definitively live with Saras. Some records touched me in a way they never reached me before and some records could be a bit too much. To summarise them i must say that they are suprisingly good. Later we replaced them with a pair of unik and compare some interconnects and speaker cable soldeings. Uniks is much more musical compared with Saras but on the other hand feels like listening to a ghettoblaster and your favourite compact casette. Pure music but nothing more.

The evenings last project was to reassembling all klouts again and play the keltiks. From start to goal a twelve hour long Linn journey and 170 kilometres by car. One might say it is passion,or perhaps that we are crazy?

Next weekend i am hoping to play with the Saras again at my place,i have a smaller room,the hardware are similar just lower specs on the sondek. This time i hoping to tune them more careful. A speaker in my taste!

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - Tony Tune-age - 2012-11-06 13:18

Good report! I agree, the Sara speaker does provide a unique sound and performs really well with a Sondek front end. Most everybody around here has sold their Sara speakers and purchased bigger speakers, although some people now regret not keeping them!

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - SaltyDog - 2012-11-06 13:57

Do saras boom in really really small rooms?

RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure - joddle - 2012-11-06 14:12

(2012-11-06 13:57)SaltyDog Wrote:  Do saras boom in really really small rooms?

I have used my Saras in two extremes - first they were in a really very small living room where they sounded great - and now they live in a huge room - and still sound great. No boom in either place. I doubt I will be swapping them for anything in the near future.