Linn Forums
Keith Jarrett Recommendations - Printable Version

+- Linn Forums (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb)
+-- Forum: Linn (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Music (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Keith Jarrett Recommendations (/showthread.php?tid=14057)

Pages: 1 2

Keith Jarrett Recommendations - rowlandhills - 2011-11-14 01:57

One of my favourite HD albums is "The Koln Concert" by Keith Jarrett.

It's the only one if his albums that I own, and I'd be interested to know which others people would recommend. He certainly seems to have had a fairly prolific recording career!

Thanks.

RE: Keith Jarrett Recommendations - NickP - 2011-11-14 16:02

(2011-11-14 01:57)rowlandhills Wrote:  One of my favourite HD albums is "The Koln Concert" by Keith Jarrett.

It's the only one if his albums that I own, and I'd be interested to know which others people would recommend. He certainly seems to have had a fairly prolific recording career!

Thanks.

To some extent, it's difficult to wrong with him. But Staircase, Hourglass, Sundial, Sand is one of my favourite albums.

N

RE: Keith Jarrett Recommendations - pjla55 - 2011-11-14 16:08

(2011-11-14 01:57)rowlandhills Wrote:  One of my favourite HD albums is "The Koln Concert" by Keith Jarrett.

Thanks.

Wonderful artist. Immense creativity.

Think it depends what you are looking for - solo, duo, trio, European or American band, orchestral,classical etc etc.

He has a new solo album just out "Rio" which by all accounts ( not heard it yet myself) is amazing;one of my favourites is 'My Song' recorded by his European Quartet a few years ago...featuring saxophonist Jan Garbarek; if you have deep pockets At the Blue Note - the Complete Recordings with Gary Peacock & drummer Jack DeJohnette is a wonderful box of live recordings; I have a DVD of the `Tokyo solo concerts from 2002 which is very good....the list goes on! Personally albums of his I avoid are those like The Melody at Night with you, which, admittedly, recorded when he was recovering from a lengthy period of illness, I find bland, and banal.

Not sure what is available as HD downloads...I'm still stuck in the plastic disc era....but I'm sure I'll get there soon!

The best advice is to just dive in - he has been recording exclusively for ECM in Munich for the last twenty or more years, and Manfred Eicher's standards are always very high.

As they say, if you like Keith Jarrett,... try a little Brad Mehldau, Craig Taborn, and for me personally, the most creative of the lot - Bobo Stenson ( eg his albums Serenity, or Cantando)...

Enjoy !!! SmileSmileSmileSmile

RE: Keith Jarrett Recommendations - Briain - 2011-11-14 16:41

Hi

I rather like the below harpsichord one. It's very, very different to The Koln Concert (it's traditional and played without any kicking and grunting sounds) but it's very excellent in a totally different sense (as long as you like harpsichord music; if you don't, you'll likely think it's terrible)! Big Grin

[Image: 31T%2BPw1aCgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

I also like Yesterdays for a bit of very cool jazz.

[Image: 51Yxxqs3VmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

RE: Keith Jarrett Recommendations - moog_man - 2011-11-14 16:48

Seconded for "Rio".

You can hear brief clips of this on the ECM artist page:
http://www.ecmrecords.com/Catalogue/ECM/2100/2198_99.php?lvredir=712&cat=%2FArtists%2FJarrett+Keith%23%23Keith+Jarrett&catid=0&doctype=Catalogue&order=releasedate&rubchooser=901&mainrubchooser=9

- click on the 'ECM player' link.

HDTracks will hopefully be along soon to offer it in FLAC.

RE: Keith Jarrett Recommendations - Briain - 2011-11-14 17:05

The ECM one I'd like in HD would be Tord Gustavsen Trio - The Ground (it is seriously chilled out jazz):

[Image: 316GVvjz%2BHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

I managed to get Tord Gustavsen Trio - Restored Returned in 24/96, so fingers crossed that The Ground will one day appear in high resolution format, too. In fact, if ECM just released their entire catalog in high resolution, I'd be a happy chappy. In fact, Linn should get on their case and see if an alliance could be done; that would make Linn Records an amazing site to visit!!!

Bri

RE: Keith Jarrett Recommendations - Briain - 2011-11-14 17:14

(2011-11-14 16:48)moog_man Wrote:  - click on the 'ECM player' link.
Hi

Tried that and spotted the drop down arrow that shows the 4 tracks, but when I click on the tracks, nothing happens; do you happen to know if it require something dodgy like Java to be installed?

Bri

RE: Keith Jarrett Recommendations - moog_man - 2011-11-14 17:15

(2011-11-14 17:05)Briain Wrote:  In fact, if ECM just released their entire catalog in high resolution, I'd be a happy chappy.

Agreed - (with apologies for temp off-topic).
ECM would clean up very nicely if they embarked on a Studio Master program. It feels like they're still testing the water - offering a few in 96Khz but so many important titles at 44Khz, still.
(2011-11-14 17:14)Briain Wrote:  
(2011-11-14 16:48)moog_man Wrote:  - click on the 'ECM player' link.
Hi

Tried that and spotted the drop down arrow that shows the 4 tracks, but when I click on the tracks, nothing happens; do you happen to know if it require something dodgy like Java to be installed?

Bri

ah.. That would be it, I think.
You on a Mac?

RE: Keith Jarrett Recommendations - Briain - 2011-11-14 17:36

Hi

It's a Win XP SP3 box. I normally use Firefox with no-scripts add-on (a very, very useful tool) but I tried the standard IE8 and that didn't work either. It might be that Java is required (and I don't have that installed) but my thoughts are to just buy the album as I know that I'll like it anyway! Smile

It's tempting to wait and see if an HD Rio appears, though!

Bri

PS Agreed about ECM HD catalogue; that would rake in a total fortune! In fact, if I had tonnes of money, I'd buy ECM, install Twonky on their server and flog my Qnap on eBay! Big Grin

RE: Keith Jarrett Recommendations - sofa - 2011-11-14 20:30

(2011-11-14 16:41)Briain Wrote:  I rather like the below harpsichord one.
[Image: 31T%2BPw1aCgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

I heard Jarrett's Goldberg Variations a few years ago and for me he did only play the notes and not the music. It was like he would be afraid of making something wrong or having too much respect of 'godfather' Bach.