Linn Forums
Speaker Cables - Printable Version

+- Linn Forums (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb)
+-- Forum: Linn (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Hi-fi (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Speaker Cables (/showthread.php?tid=23829)

Pages: 1 2 3

Speaker Cables - samurai7595 - 2013-07-31 12:28

I'm currently shopping around for a pair of top-quality speaker cables. Due to my setup, I'm looking at a length of 4m (13 ft.).

Ideally, I would like cables that do not add any coloration or alter the sound in any way (neutral cables).

Every time I visit a new dealer, I get a different story and most of them try to push the real expensive stuff. Also, the various cabling web sites mention things like oxygen-free copper, oxygen-free silver, silver+gold, nano crystals, etc.

Do speaker cables really make a difference in bringing out the best from a system or is this stuff just marketing hype?

Also, for speakers with two (2) sets of binding posts per speaker, should I go bi-wire or is it better to go single wire pair but "upgrade" the included binding post links with better quality cable jumpers?

What are you guys using, besides the Linn speaker cables?

Speaker Cables - Lunch - 2013-07-31 12:33

Nothing. "K200" sounds pretty good to me!

RE: Speaker Cables - Oh No - 2013-07-31 13:16

Removed

RE: Speaker Cables - salamonscream - 2013-07-31 13:34

(2013-07-31 12:28)samurai7595 Wrote:  I'm currently shopping around for a pair of top-quality speaker cables. Due to my setup, I'm looking at a length of 4m (13 ft.).

Ideally, I would like cables that do not add any coloration or alter the sound in any way (neutral cables).

Every time I visit a new dealer, I get a different story and most of them try to push the real expensive stuff. Also, the various cabling web sites mention things like oxygen-free copper, oxygen-free silver, silver+gold, nano crystals, etc.

Do speaker cables really make a difference in bringing out the best from a system or is this stuff just marketing hype?

Also, for speakers with two (2) sets of binding posts per speaker, should I go bi-wire or is it better to go single wire pair but "upgrade" the included binding post links with better quality cable jumpers?

What are you guys using, besides the Linn speaker cables?

Hi

Yes speaker cable do make a difference!

I ignore would all the technical stuff on web sites as most of it just B.S.

See if you can a dem of this.

http://www.chord.co.uk/products/speaker-cable/epic-speaker-cable/

It is seriously good and does not cost a fortune. I think it should work very well in your system.

RE: Speaker Cables - ozzzy189 - 2013-07-31 14:03

K200 single wired. Job a good un ;-)

RE: Speaker Cables - The Flatearther - 2013-07-31 14:28

Samurai, bi wiring for Naim Amps is not reccomended by Naim.

In my system even though it is a full on Naim amp setup, I prefer Linn LK20 to Naim NAC5. The only advantage to the Naim cable is it is slightly more tuneful. However there is so much more life and detail in the LK20 which is clearly displayed by the Briks.

Also LK20 is cheap as chips.
Flat

RE: Speaker Cables - slackboy - 2013-07-31 19:16

Linn speaker cable always worked just great in my Linn system, though it can be a bit of a pig to run.

BUT! Not so long ago I found myself needing a really long run of cable for a short time. I used the two cores from bog-standard 16A cable you use to wire a house. I stripped out the earth, and clamped the bare wire tight into the binding posts -- no plugs or solder. I was absolutely astonished at how well it worked.

Or, you could spend £20,000 on a 4m pair of Transparent... Wink

RE: Speaker Cables - Lorenzo - 2013-07-31 22:29

anyone who's using mogami 3104 as an alternative for k2OO ?

My experience is that k20 is inferior to k200.
Basically they seem to be composed of the same cu, thus it must be the stranded configuration (and the addition of a small amount of ferrite in K200) that is responsible for the percieved difference.

The mogami 3104 is stranded too, and has more WAF, so any thoughts or experiences ?

RE: Speaker Cables - jockymac - 2013-08-01 10:00

(2013-07-31 19:16)slackboy Wrote:  Linn speaker cable always worked just great in my Linn system, though it can be a bit of a pig to run.

BUT! Not so long ago I found myself needing a really long run of cable for a short time. I used the two cores from bog-standard 16A cable you use to wire a house. I stripped out the earth, and clamped the bare wire tight into the binding posts -- no plugs or solder. I was absolutely astonished at how well it worked.

Or, you could spend £20,000 on a 4m pair of Transparent... Wink

Many years ago I remember there being a fad for solid core speaker cables which resulted in people experimenting with mains cable. After all it was solid core and cost a few pence per metre. Naturally I had to try it for myself and found that the sound produced seemed clearer and I thought it was an improvement. I continued to run my system like this and after a while (1 or 2 months?) put my old speaker cable (Naim or Linn - can't remember) back in and was astonished at how much of the music had been removed by the mains cable.

In my experience mains cable is best used for its intended purpose.

However, if it works for you.....

Regards,

Neil

RE: Speaker Cables - lancslinn - 2013-08-02 16:51

I used VdH 133 before I got an all Linn system. Absolutely marvellous! I had tried Linn K20 and it was harsh and nasty. In my recently acquired all Linn system, Linn K400 is perfect. Synergy of components?