Linn Forums
Why Linn DS - Printable Version

+- Linn Forums (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb)
+-- Forum: Linn (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Linn DS (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Why Linn DS (/showthread.php?tid=9181)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Why Linn DS - tormod - 2010-12-04 17:24

On what criteria did you purchase your DS, did anyone of you compare with other computer based systems, DACs or transporters?

To your opinion what is the best and second best computer based “sound system” on the marked to day, look away from the user interface and cost, just the best sound.

My opinion below:

I have not listen to the really high priced ones above (£15k+), below that price the KDS is the winner, not very far behind a Weiss 202 DAC, I have not listen to the new ADS.

Tormod

RE: Why Linn DS - tormod - 2010-12-06 00:37

Nobody seems to find any interest in my thread or at least nobody wants to comment on the questions asked.

It will most likely be of interest for the ones new to the idea about moving away from the traditional CD player, what to look for and listen too.

If Linn get some competition in this marked it will serve us by pushing Linn to the next level, and that will serve Linn too in the long run.

Tormod

RE: Why Linn DS - tin ear - 2010-12-06 07:16

LINN is a product that you purchase for sound and accurate reproduction.

Their motto "if it sounds better, it is" covers it. The DS just makes a good system better. If you don't like it then it is not for you. Your music may sound better on LINN or something else, it is all taste. To my taste, its LINN and I chose after I listened to the sound of my music on their kit.

RE: Why Linn DS - bassato - 2010-12-06 08:14

didn't see that thread...

it's simple for me - it was a sound quality i never heard before and found my enthusiasm for music again after some desperate years.

for me (very individual view) linn-ds it is not computer-hifi, it is traditional hifi feeded by computer related hardware - big difference for me. wouldn't like to have a pc running for listening to musik, so traditional dacs would never be a solution. just imagine the setup itunes - amarra - dac starting before listing to music - think there is a lack in emotional element. same with all in one solutions with a harddrive spinning inside.

manfred

RE: Why Linn DS - tlchow811 - 2010-12-06 08:40

Hi there
I chose a Linn DS when I was looking for a replacement CD player for my aging Meridian. I came across it on the linn forum and it piqued my interest - the flexibility of use and sound quality being the main attractions. I was a bit wary of problems I might encounter setting it up as the dealers here were not experienced at the time of setting up network based systems. Nevertheless I took the plunge and got a majik DS sight unseen/unheard (thought spending on an Akurate took risky in case i couldn't get it to work!) and I haven't regretted it yet! (except the fact I got it one month before they released the dynamik upgrade!)

It would be interesting to hear from forum members who could share their experience of competitors products, of which there are more and more!

Olive seem to have several models which, like the uniti, has built in storage, plus a cd player for ripping music - so you can also play your discs directly as well (say before you rip them?) I gather their limitation is that they play files up to 96/24bit resolution only. I listened to the Olive 4 - not impressed - but then again - it wasn't set up well.

Bryston do a two box one as well ( BDP-1 & BDA-1) in the Akurate price range that's getting quite good press. Advantage of a separate DAC for separate sources?

Marantz has just released one that's priced below the SDS. (Horses for courses?)

As the market gets more populated with these devices, it will be interesting to see how linn will further develop their DS's in terms of features and usability (sound quality a given!)Smile

Keep up the good work Linn!

RE: Why Linn DS - JohnC - 2010-12-06 09:37

The Linn DS is a very good product, how it stands up against the competition only those that have tried different ones will tell and I suspect that in the end it comes down to a preferred way of integrating the storage of your music and the device that it plays it on.

However one thing that is sadly lacking is the lack of user friendly software to make it work.

The basics of digital stored music is sound, however nobody really has looked into the future and how to keep your music intact and able to be used in 10 to 20 years time.

Take a CD, I have many that are years old, I have LP's from the 70's.

Do you think that your NAS is going to be able to stand the test of time without some portability of your music to the latest storage facility. None of this appears on the market for any of the systems that play digital stored music. Nobody has any simple software to transfer your music from one device to another. The playback software for most is ok at best, but not good.

Over the years I have worked in the IT industry and have seen the difficulties in changing the storage of data from one computer to another, the same will apply to your stored music.

The technology to play the music becomes small in comparison to the issues that keeping your stored music safe. For the majority of people most don’t know one end of a computer from another.

That is what developers like Linn, Naim and anyone else involved should be addressing now. Over the short period that the Linn DS has been in production I think we are now on our third preferred storage device.

So I don’t think that the issue is if one digital player is better than another, the issue is getting a good user interface to play your stored music on the device and the storage systems safe for the future.

That is one of the main reasons I have gone back to playing vinyl, not withstanding the fact it sounds better!

RE: Why Linn DS - tormod - 2010-12-06 10:31

(2010-12-06 08:14)bassato Wrote:  didn't see that thread...

it's simple for me - it was a sound quality i never heard before and found my enthusiasm for music again after some desperate years.

for me (very individual view) linn-ds it is not computer-hifi, it is traditional hifi feeded by computer related hardware - big difference for me. wouldn't like to have a pc running for listening to musik, so traditional dacs would never be a solution. just imagine the setup itunes - amarra - dac starting before listing to music - think there is a lack in emotional element. same with all in one solutions with a harddrive spinning inside.

manfred

bassato,

There is no different between Linn and the setup you mention with iTunes and a DAC. They are all receiving files in ones and zeros from a computer that must be online. The design on of how they do it is different, but a computer is running somewhere inside the DS, NAS,DAC or MAC to get this to work.

I agree, by getting your files over a network gives the impression that this is not computer-based system, but it is.

All this put aside Linn is for sure one of the few out there that is taking a high end approach with a computer feeding music files to our speakers.

Definition:

A NAS unit is a computer connected to a network that only provides file-based data storage services to other devices on the network. Although it may technically be possible to run other software on a NAS unit, it is not designed to be a general purpose server.

Tormod

RE: Why Linn DS - bassato - 2010-12-06 10:57

@tormod

of course you are right, but that wasn't my point in viewing it. i was not aiming on functionality but on the feeling a linn ds gives me. once the it-setup for feeding the ds is right and properly running, this will stay totally in the background in your listening room and when it comes to enjoying the music. wine, cheese and music leaves no space for booting a computer in my hedonistic world. and the haptic of eg a klimax ds is really old-school hifi imho....

manfred

RE: Why Linn DS - bez - 2010-12-06 11:00

I bought a DS purely on the improvement in sound quality over CD.
The bonuses such as very compact music storage on a NAS, playlists, and higher resolution files than Red Book CD were quite secondary.

RE: Why Linn DS - Daria - 2010-12-06 11:09

I didn't mind about sound quality at all, but I couldn't do without using that beautiful super-slick Samsung Q1, with the funky no cover art interface you could turn your stylus on to scroll, like on the iPod...!! SmileBig Grin