Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-22, 16:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..

Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..
2012-04-04, 03:25 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-04 03:26 by jbc.)
RE: Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..
Thanks slackboy.

Getting back to the original question, I'd say the 'inflection' point of new analog and digital gear is somewhere around the majik level (LP12 vs. DS).

To my ears, at least, there's a bigger variance in the quality of analog replay with increasing cost than digital. Also, the cost of good digital has dropped rapidly over the past 5 years or so. Cheap digital is pretty good (cambridge 751, for example). With analog it seems that if you pay more, you get more, and prices have not dropped for decent performance. A rega 3 costs anout the same as it did ten years ago (inflation adjusted). The performance has improved a bit, but not to the point that the new rega 3 blows away their top level table from five years ago. Put in a different way, the law of diminishing returns kicks in at a higher price level for analog.

With my system history, in increasing order of sound quality I'd have the following ranking from low to high: Rega planar 3 (elys), linn genki, unidisk sc, majik ds, lp12 valhalla, lp12 lingo. The closest two were the majik ds and the lp12 valhalla (akito adikt), with the slight edge to the LP12. Hence, I'd say the majik price point is around the inflection level.

Best,
Jbc

LP12/Lingo2/Akito2B/Tramp2/DV20X2, Unidisk SC(D) for surround, and a bunch of other stuff
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose.. - jbc - 2012-04-04 03:25