Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-08-29, 15:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / DS Troubleshooting v / Tagging problem?

Tagging problem?
2012-03-27, 21:14 (This post was last modified: 2012-03-27 21:16 by billzab.)
Tagging problem?
Hi all. I have a problem with one of my albums re the tags displayed in Kinsky/Twonky. I have tagged the album with MP3TAg and it reads as I want it to within MP3Tag. when viewed in Kinsky or Twonky it is as if I haven't changed anything. The original tagging did not have track numbers and in Kinsky the tracks are all numbers as a zero and therefore display and play in alphabetical order. This is a live album so this no good to me. I have tried re-tagging with dbPoweramp but when I view the files they are as I tagged them with MP3Tag, so no change can be made. I have rebuilt the Twonky database several times to no avail. I have removed the album from the NAS to another PC and checked the tagging there, and all is well. I have tried everything I can think of, but still can't get this album to display correctly in Kinsky. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers, Bill.

Should have added, that I have ownership of the files.

All views expressed in my posts are my own and if they offend anyone, then too bad.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-03-27, 21:19
RE: Tagging problem?
Hi Billzab,

Are you sure you are editing and viewing the same album? i.e. when you removed (COMPLETELY) the album from the Twonky area and rescanned did the album show in the Twonky database? Having duplicate copies of the same album can cause odd results!

Dave

LP12+Origin Live Alliance+Ortofon 2m Red > Graham Slee Communicator = AkurateDS/D > silver > KK/1D > silver > Keltik Klimax XOvers > black > 2x4200/D > K600(+2) > Keltiks
2012-03-27, 21:23
Hi Bill

You could use the command prompt tag.exe to see what they have in the tags (in case there's something really odd in there) but I'd be surprised if it's that as Twonky only reads a few tags and should thus ignore anything odd that's in there.

If you have dBpoweramp music convertor, you should be able to select the files and then select 'convert to' then choose FLAC. That will strip any oddball tags that maybe aren't showing in mp3tag (it only shows what you have configured it to). That should also clear up any other odd things (maybe they're currently encapsulated in id3 tags).

If that fails, put them on a USB stick and give them to 'Big Bad John' so he can bring them up next time he's in Embra and I'll have a look to see what the score is (and fix 'em). Smile

Bri
2012-03-27, 22:15 (This post was last modified: 2012-03-27 22:20 by billzab.)
Tagging problem?
(2012-03-27 21:19)entdgc Wrote:  Hi Billzab,

Are you sure you are editing and viewing the same album? i.e. when you removed (COMPLETELY) the album from the Twonky area and rescanned did the album show in the Twonky database? Having duplicate copies of the same album can cause odd results!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, I am positive it is just the one copy I have. I mainly use the folders option and it shows up when I have deleted it.

Thanks anyway, Bill.

(2012-03-27 21:23)Briain Wrote:  Hi Bill

You could use the command prompt tag.exe to see what they have in the tags (in case there's something really odd in there) but I'd be surprised if it's that as Twonky only reads a few tags and should thus ignore anything odd that's in there.

If you have dBpoweramp music convertor, you should be able to select the files and then select 'convert to' then choose FLAC. That will strip any oddball tags that maybe aren't showing in mp3tag (it only shows what you have configured it to). That should also clear up any other odd things (maybe they're currently encapsulated in id3 tags).

If that fails, put them on a USB stick and give them to 'Big Bad John' so he can bring them up next time he's in Embra and I'll have a look to see what the score is (and fix 'em). Smile

Bri

Hi Brian. Do you mean convert the Flacs to Flacs? I will give this a try and see what happens. Failing that, I will take you up on your offer of personal service! Whoops, I should watch how I word that!

Cheers, Bill.

All views expressed in my posts are my own and if they offend anyone, then too bad.
2012-03-27, 22:34
Hi

Yes, convert FLAC to FLAC (and when it asks if you wish to overwrite the existing files, hit the yes button). If that doesn't work, no problem for me to fix them. Smile

Bri
2012-03-28, 05:58
(2012-03-27 22:34)Briain Wrote:  Hi

Yes, convert FLAC to FLAC (and when it asks if you wish to overwrite the existing files, hit the yes button). If that doesn't work, no problem for me to fix them. Smile

Bri
umm....Perhaps make sure you have a backup before you do that. Just in case. I tend to use a separate Path and have it save them in \%artist% - %album%\ folders under that path even after I back them up because...well...because that's me.

Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff
2012-03-28, 12:48 (This post was last modified: 2012-03-28 12:54 by Briain.)
Good point! I have several backups and thus don't care if it goes wrong. I have done hundreds of albums and never had one fail, but even though I have an extremely reliable system, PC's can crash, so making a copy of it before you start (or writing it elsewhere) would be a prudent plan if you have no other copies.
2012-03-28, 20:55
Tagging problem?
Yes, that worked Briain. Flac to Flac, never had to change the tagging but it sorted the problem. Once again I bow to your superior knowledge, thanks very much.

On a separate note, Kinsky is now very slow on my iPad. I at first thought it was to do with a recent database rebuild to cure original problem, but.......... Being the cynic I am, is it down to the latest OS update on the iPad? Is it designed to slow down the iPad 2 so that the 3 looks faster? Microsoft always had a major update to the old OS just as the new one was launching and I always thought my PC's were slower as a result. Anyone else ever experienced this effect?

Cheers, Bill.

2012-03-28, 21:49 (This post was last modified: 2012-03-28 22:32 by Briain.)
Hi Bill

Great to hear it worked!

Sadly, since updating to the latest iOS, I've found that Kinsky is now sometimes a bit flaky on my iPad 1 (and as far as I know, you can't revert to the previous iOS; just one of the many things I dislike about Apple products; my mum's one is still on iOS 4 and it's working perfectly) so hopefully Linn can fix it sometime soon. In the interim, I've moved back to using Chorus DS as that seems to work totally okay with the iPad 1 and current iOS. Songbook is also totally fine, but there is a minor bug (it doesn't pick up the number of disk tag) but I'm informed that that will be resolved very soon.

Bri
2012-03-28, 22:32 (This post was last modified: 2012-03-28 22:38 by billzab.)
Tagging problem?
Hi Brian. Tried ChorusDS but it is still quite slow and is also not optimised for iPad. Haven't got Songbook as I purchased the expensive version for iPhone a long while back and it was a real dissappointment and very buggy. Won't buy the iPad version, because as the song says, I won't get fooled again! I wish Linn would give Kinsky the option to scroll through the library withou art, I am sure this would speed it up.

Cheers, Bill.

Updated: just had a look on the app store and see there is an HD version of Chorus for the iPad at £29.99. Is this good value for money bearing in mind that Kinsky is free?