Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-24, 02:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / BubbleDS 1.0 released [Android Control Point]

BubbleDS 1.0 released [Android Control Point]
2011-02-13, 19:36 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-15 19:36 by bubbleguuum.)
BubbleDS 1.0 released [Android Control Point]
Update December 15th 2011: BubbleDS 1.3.1 released

Changelog
  • loading Library folders is 3 to 5 times faster and uses less memory
  • reduced app size by 800Kb
  • small UI tweaks
  • fixed Chorus DS Server not being discovered
  • fixed Library browse errors due to too low timeouts (WMP in particular)
  • fixed downloaded files sometimes failing to be written on SD card
  • fixed crash on app start if locale is Arabic
  • fixed landscape not displaying properly in 320x240 resolution (Xperia mini)
  • fixed slide to remove track in Playlist not working on screen with small resolution (Xperia mini)
  • volume keys now works while "adding to playlist" dialog is displayed
  • added option to show/hide technical info (codec, bitrate, bitdepth) in Now Playing
  • new track/folder context menu action: Enqueue and play
  • playing/enqueuing a folder will load all subfolders
  • Ethernet support (Google TV)
  • Ice Cream Sandwich initial support
  • other fixes

BubbleDS is available on the Android Market at the price of 9.9€.

To find it, search for "Linn" on the Android Market on you device or go here.

The app will be supported/updated for a long time to come as I use it myself daily to control my DS :).

Features
  • Supports all Cara devices (including pre Cara 6), Davaar devices (no SongCast support)
  • Supports Linn external Preamps connected to a DS device, for volume control
  • Honeycomb tablets support
  • landscape support
  • Now Playing screen with regular playback controls
  • standby / mute / repeat / shuffle
  • DS volume is controlled with the hardware volume buttons
  • Support Internet Radio features of Linn DS. Display dynamic titles
  • Tested with many Media Servers (Twonky, Asset UPnP, ...)
  • Playlist management. Playlist can be displayed as a list of single tracks or as tracks grouped by album
  • Source switching
  • Display album art
  • Display artist info from Discogs and last.fm (requires official last.fm app)
  • Powerful UPnP Search. Search for tracks, albums and artist (support depends on Media Server)
  • Bookmarks. Access quickly albums and folders
  • Random track lists. Discover forgotten gems in your Library
  • Load and save playlists, compatible with KinskyDesktop playlists
  • Multiple selection. Anywhere a list of tracks or albums appear you can swipe many of them to apply a common operation (play, enqueue, remove, ...).
  • Ability to mute/pause DS on incoming phone call
  • Sleep timer
  • Download tracks for local playback

If something is not working, you can record a log file and mail it to me at bubbleguuum@free.fr

- launch the app
- go into the Advanced Settings page (Menu > Settings > Advanced Settings)
- check "Enable logging to file".
- IMPORTANT: Exit the app using the "Exit " menu item found in menu of tab "Now Playing"
- restart the app.
- run the app until the problem appears
- connect your phone to your PC or MAC and mail me the file /Android/data/com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleds/log.txt found on the SD Card.

[Image: nowplaying2.png]

[Image: nowplayingland.png]

[Image: nowplayinghc.png]

[Image: playlist.png]

[Image: radio.png]

[Image: library_albums.png]

[Image: album.png]

[Image: search.png]

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-02-13, 20:48
RE: BubbleDS 1.0 released [Android Control Point]
bought - will test the install/move to SD card - thanks.

Now I just have to ask 'her indoors' to leave her android phone at home when she's 'her outdoors' Wink

Linn sources, pre-, & cables; Lejonklou power-; Spendor speakers
2011-02-14, 22:02
Also bought.
Glad you finally managed to get your app to market, well done.
2011-02-15, 00:30
Also bought but still getting the disappearing ds and library at random that I have been reporting since day 1. It is such a shame when developers release apps when they are not ready.

This issue could easily be resolved by initiating a rescan if the ds and library fall off the radar.

Now you can't even get a refund after 15 mins.

AndrewSad

(2011-02-14 22:02)Run-GMC Wrote:  Also bought.
Glad you finally managed to get your app to market, well done.
2011-02-15, 02:15
(2011-02-15 00:30)apsande Wrote:  Also bought but still getting the disappearing ds and library at random that I have been reporting since day 1. It is such a shame when developers release apps when they are not ready.

This issue could easily be resolved by initiating a rescan if the ds and library fall off the radar.

AndrewSad

And since day 1, I cannot reproduce it on my phone and noone else reported that problem. From the various logs you sent me, something strange happens that I do not understand, network related.

It's not like there is a magic button to auto-fix this kind of issues.
All sort of weird stuff can happen on some phones and not others.

Adding manual rescan is not really a good solution: it is normally uneeded and will take as much time as restarting the app. I'd rather fix the real issue instead (if it's in my control - there's even Android bugs you know).

btw your comment on the Market was really...unecessary.

If you PM me your order number I will refund you the money.
2011-02-15, 09:52
I do think that looking at the development thread that others have experience the issue of suddenly receiving the message DS not found. One of the important roles of a beta test IMHO is to track down issues and help resolve them when a wider audience pay for an official version of the application. Mabe I'm a perfectionist, but I believe that quality control over software is very poor at present. Things are released before all bugs were ironed out. (MS by the way are the worst offenders and IO have been a beta tester for windows for many years). That was why I was disappointed to see the app released before it is really ready and I am sorry if I caused any offence. However, I do think people need to know the facts before they spend their money, hence the market comments. I have also found the after conducting a search for an album that the tracks are picked up by the DS if I select the album for play as soon as it is found.

If you read other threads on this board you will see the frustration of customers over the quality of control points. IMHO Chorus ds is the best control point, someone has managed to get this to work without problems.

I wish you every success for the app in the future.

Andrew Sanders

(2011-02-15 02:15)bubbleguuum Wrote:  
(2011-02-15 00:30)apsande Wrote:  Also bought but still getting the disappearing ds and library at random that I have been reporting since day 1. It is such a shame when developers release apps when they are not ready.

AndrewSad

And since day 1, I cannot reproduce it on my phone and noone else reported that problem. From the various logs you sent me, something strange happens that I do not understand, network related.

It's not like there is a magic button to auto-fix this kind of issues.
All sort of weird stuff can happen on some phones and not others.

Adding manual rescan is not really a good solution: it is normally uneeded and will take as much time as restarting the app. I'd rather fix the real issue instead (if it's in my control - there's even Android bugs you know).

btw your comment on the Market was really...unecessary.

If you PM me your order number I will refund you the money.
2011-02-15, 20:05
Just installed it on my htc hero. Works fine for me, bit slower than chorus on ipod but i guess my phone is to blame for that. More options than chorus, nice, big album art.Tongue
2011-02-15, 20:15
Hi Bubble,
after the positive beta releases I wanna buy the app in the market. But how does it work with updates? Do I have to buy it new after a new release?
I haven´t any experience with bought apps from the market, so please excuse the "silly" question.
Thx.

Majik DS/D, Acer 340 Home Server, Asset Upnp, Bubble DS
2011-02-15, 20:24
(2011-02-15 20:15)yellowspider Wrote:  Hi Bubble,
after the positive beta releases I wanna buy the app in the market. But how does it work with updates? Do I have to buy it new after a new release?
I haven´t any experience with bought apps from the market, so please excuse the "silly" question.
Thx.

The app you buy on the market are tied to your google account, not to your phone. So you can remove the app and reinstall, or install on a newer phone without problem.
And once purchased, all updates are free .
2011-02-16, 00:43 (This post was last modified: 2011-02-16 00:46 by bubbleguuum.)
(2011-02-15 22:29)little wong Wrote:  Hi Bubbleguuum, installed the full app and been playing around with it tonight. Had quite a few crashes and it sent an error log directly I presume.
Appears to be related to album art cache but that might be the speed of my phone, memory or SD card? Eventually got all my art into cache and it's working fine now.

I saw your crashes which were Out Of Memory errors due to album art.
These are more likely to happen on devices with 16Mb app limit like the HTC Legend. From what I could see, most 2.1+ Android devices have that limit at 24Mb or more (48Mb on a Samsung Galaxy S).
Next significant version (1.1) will address these album art and memory consuption issues so that it isn't a problem anymore. As a bonus, album art will be displayed in Library album lists, without the need to browse a folder first.

(2011-02-15 22:29)little wong Wrote:  One thing I've never noticed before is on the now playing, why is the album cover cropped at the top and bottom? Is that on your to do list?

Thanks for reporting, I semi forgot about that one.
I just fixed it in 1.0.2 that should be shortly available on the market:

Quote:1.0.2
- chg: Now Playing: in the Sources popup, only display visible Sources, sorted alphabetically
- fix: Now Playing: in the Sources popup, Cd and Tuner sources were not listed (present on Linn Classik Music preamp)
- fix: Now Playing: small visual glitch when updating track info header
- fix: Now Playing: do not crop album art