Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 19:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Kinsky Desktop Playlist

Kinsky Desktop Playlist
2011-03-19, 02:35
Kinsky Desktop Playlist
Hi guys

I had an issue with Kinsky Desktop and i had to uninstall and start again, so now my playlist is disappeared, i wonder where Kinsky saves them? and can i save them somewhere safe for later if i change computers. It doesnt seem to give you the option - just a name. Maybe i have to re-create them but dont want to have to do this again in the future - very time consuming

Thanks any help would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-03-19, 06:32
RE: Kinsky Desktop Playlist
Hi Sandrat,

I think you have stumbled upon what I would call "the final frontier" for software developers serving digital music streaming in an open environment over a network. Where are your music files stored? Are the playlist commands on the same device? What happens when you add or delete information from your storage device and the device reassigns the location of that information? What happens when you alter software on one of the three computers required? Actually it sounds like you deleted it and essentially installed new software on one of the computers required. I have not yet figured out how to preserve a playlist while making changes to the system.

Majik DS|NetGear ReadyNAS NVX (Fuppes)|iPad (Kinsky) + Akurate CD + Pioneer Blue Ray > NAD T775 > B&W 805's (Front Channels, Passive BiAmp)|REL R 305 sub + B&W 805's (Surround) + B&W HTM4 (Center)
2011-03-19, 10:27
By default it is
C:\Users\yourusernameinwindows\AppData\Local\KinskyDesktop\Playlists

You can change this
right click in the header
tools
options
Local playlist

Hope this is what U want
Mike

2011-03-19, 10:46
(2011-03-19 10:27)mikegriff Wrote:  By default it is
C:\Users\yourusernameinwindows\AppData\Local\KinskyDesktop\Playlists

You can change this
right click in the header
tools
options
Local playlist

Hope this is what U want
Mike

Thanks guys found it - couldn't find the old but at least i now know where to save it safe
2011-03-19, 12:26 (This post was last modified: 2011-03-19 12:28 by Briain.)
Hi Folks

I get a bit concerned when folks talk about saving their Kinsky Desktop playlists somewhere safe. Hopefully folks realise that these playlists are not 'long term' when you're dealing with certain (maybe all) media servers; a media server database rebuild will change the contents of these playlists (they'll play different tunes). Pleas see here for a very rough analogy of why that happens.

I would hate to think someone has spent ages building up playlists only to loose them. As far as I know, the only way to make permanent playlists is to generate m3u files from something like Media Monkey.

Hope that helps avoid any unexpected disasters.

Bri

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2011-03-19, 14:32 (This post was last modified: 2011-03-19 14:33 by SaltyDog.)
I have had some m3u files disappear on my QNap. I don't recall how that happened. I later found them in the recycle bin on the QNap. I do not recall any m3u files that have quit working.

I think it is a good idea to have the NAS mapped as a network drive for this and other reasons.

I used to use jRiver media jukebox. Then I found that this could add files to my NAS. I don't recall giving it a permission to do so. If data/library files are needed I want them on the PC. I want only firmware and my music on my NAS. I'm not talking about just a few files.

I recently went back to using MediaMonkey. I liked that JRiver had smartplaylists in a free version. MediaMonkey has limited power in the free version. So far no unexpected files have shown up on the NAS.

You can make playlists in m3u and then also save them into control points playlists if that suits your needs. Once on the NAS m3us are able to be played by any of the control points AFAIK.

1 - LP12 SE, KDS, Lejonklou Boazu, JBL 3677s
2 - RKDS, KK, ATC50ASLTs
3 - Piano Disc'd Steinway, ADS, Karin, Klout, Kabers.
2011-03-19, 17:18 (This post was last modified: 2011-03-19 17:21 by Briain.)
Hi

Yes, I tried J River a while back and I recall it tried to scan everything (including my NAS) as soon as I installed it. I no longer have mapped drives, I just have a shortcut to \\nasname in my start menu; my rationale being that this will help to prevent anything else that I wish to test out from 'seeing' it as a local drive and thus accessing/indexing/changing it before I realise what's going on. Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)