Linn Forums

Current time: 2016-05-27, 09:22 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / [How to] change Twonky 6 menus (trees) in the new Qnap QPKG (and on other NAS's)

[How to] change Twonky 6 menus (trees) in the new Qnap QPKG (and on other NAS's)
2011-03-22, 14:19 (This post was last modified: 2013-03-24 17:04 by Briain.)
[How to] change Twonky 6 menus (trees) in the new Qnap QPKG (and on other NAS's)
Scope

For anyone wishing to install the new Twonky 6 QPKG and add custom trees, below are some brief instructions on where to find them on your Qnap and how to copy over the custom ones (I'll add a few other NAS's to posts below this one, when I can). The below trees suit any version of Twonky 5.1 or Twonky 6.0 and they will work on any NAS (not just Qnaps). Note that these tree packs will not work with any version of Twonky 7 as it does not support the use of custom trees.

Update: Note that I've now also shown an alternative method (using WinSCP) in post 4 of this thread. This might be easier for folks who are not familiar with command line work.

Critically useful advice

To quote from the true bible....

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3606]

May The Great Prophet Zarquon forgive me! Smile

Please note that though there looks to be a lot of text below, the process is actually very quick and easy to perform! The only reason there is such a lot of text is in order to answer any questions should someone get a little 'stuck' (or have some concerns about whether they're doing the correct thing, or not) half way through actually doing it. The actual tree changing instructions are entirely contained within section 4; the previous sections are preparations and downloads and the remaining sections are just useful or interesting notes.

What the new menus look like

Below shows the top level menus for both types of tree pack superimposed onto one image.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3571]

Below shows navigation to an album via the -Album Artists- menu item using the trees suited to large music collections. Note that the trees suited to smaller collections do not have the A~Z menu item (column 2 in the below image); they go directly to the full list of album artists.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2455]

Below shows one of the more complex (but also very useful) routes to your music. In this example, I have used the genre as a filter to remove all but the classical composers from the list. This can be very useful, but its success depends on the quality of your tagging.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3573]

1: Download and install the Twonky QPKG

The new Twonky 6.0.39 QPKG's can be downloaded from the below links (March 2012):

Marvell based Qnaps (TX-x09): here
Marvell based Qnaps (TS-x10 & TS-x19): here
Intel based Qnaps (TS-x39 & TS-x59): here

The previous Twonky 6.0.38 QPKG's can be downloaded from the below links (January 2012):

Marvell based Qnaps (TX-x09): here
Marvell based Qnaps (TS-x10 & TS-x19): here
Intel based Qnaps (TS-x39 & TS-x59): here

2: Download the tree pack of your choice

Once you have installed the appropriate version for your QNAP, you can download and install one of the 4 custom tree packs from the below links (pick the one that best suits your requirements). Please note that these tree packs are for Twonky 5.1.xx and 6.0.xx only; they will not work in Twonky 7.0.xx.

The below two options are suited to folks with large music collections:

Option 1 - Album Artist version: click here (March 2012)
Option 2 - Artists only version: click here (March 2012)

The below two options are suited to folks with smaller music collections:

Option 3 - Album Artist version: click here (March 2012)
Option 4 - Artists only version: click here (March 2012)

Once you have chosen and downloaded one of the above four packs, unzip the contents to your NAS (lets say you put them in a folder called 'trees' in the 'Web' share on your Qnap).

3: Download PuTTY

Download PuTTY (from here) and save it to your desktop. You only need do this with Windows PC's as the Mac comes supplied with SSH terminal software.

Later edit: Note that I've now also shown an alternative method to using PuTTY (using WinSCP) in post 4 of this thread. This might be easier for folks who are not familiar with command line work.

4: The installation process

The existing trees live in a TwonkyMedia directory on the NAS, I think all multi-disk Qnaps will be the same, but you can check where your own TwonkyMedia folder lives by clicking on the Twonky icon in the QPKG section of the Qnap firmware. The below picture shows where Twonky is installed on my TS-659 Qnap (the part I've outlined in red):

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2457]

Inside that TwonkyMedia directory, there is one called 'resources' and inside that another called 'views'; that is where the trees live. The full path to mine would thus be /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/TwonkyMedia/resources/views

Note: The single disk models will instead be something like /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/TwonkyMedia/resources/views, but you can check which your one is as per the above image.

Double click on the putty.exe file you downloaded and then enter your NAS's IP address (and ensure 'SSH' is ticked) as shown in the below image.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4160]

Useful tip: It will likely prove to be extremely useful if you read the 'Very useful Linux tips' section - it's down a little further - before proceeding with the next step.

Enter your user name (admin) and password (the one you normally use to access the Qnap web page) and that's you logged in. Now type cd (change directory) and the path to the trees; the one for my NAS is as shown below:

cd /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/TwonkyMedia/resources/views

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2456]

Once there, type ls (as I have done above) and you should see the existing trees (as shown in green above). As long as you see the existing ones (as shown above) then you know for certain that you are in the correct place.

Now copy the replacements over:

cp /share/Web/trees/* .

Useful Tip: Note that there is a space between the star and the dot; it is actually * . and not *.

The star (*) means 'everything in that folder' and the dot (.) means 'to here', so it means copy everything from /shares/Web/trees to here.

Once done, you can close the PuTTY window and then access the Twonky configuration web page. Click on the rebuild database button and when it's finished, you will have all the new menu's.

The end! That's it all done!

Very useful Linux tips (to help with the above):

For the above, type cp /sh then use the tab button to auto complete; the line should then read cp /share or cp /share/ then continue the line by adding more text to give cp /share/We then hit tab to complete that to cp /share/Web/ then add 'tre' and hit tab to give cp /share/Web/trees then complete the line to show the above cp /share/Web/trees/* .

This is not only a way to save typing, but the auto complete will only work if the path actually exists and thus it proves that you are getting it correct.[/i]

Notes

Note 1
(Setting Twonky to send full resolution art to the control point)

After the Twonky database has been built, please access the Twonky config page and set the media receivers to suit your installation; do this as follows:

If you have an iThing and either Songbook or Chorus, simply start Songbook or Chorus and it will set Twonky to send full resolution art to that device (you will see it pop into the list of media receivers). If you then run Kinsky on that same device, it will still get full resolution art as it has already been set to work for Chorus or Songbook.

If you don't have Chorus or Songbook (or are using any other device like a Mac, PC, Android phone, PDA, etc) then start that device and the control point software. Now go into the Twonky config page and click on the media receivers link and look for the MAC/IP address of the device on which you are running your control point software, then select one of the following entries:

AssetControl DS Control Point
Bubble DS Control Point
Linn Kinsky Desktop Control Point
Chorus DS Control Point
Songbook DS Control Point

It doesn't matter which you choose as all of them sent art at full resolution. If you are not sure which MAC/IP is your control point one, it is perfectly okay to set all the entries to one of the above (that's what I do; see note 3). Also note that the next release of Bubble DS will automatically set Twonky in the same way Chorus and Songbook do now.

Konductor needs to be set manually (in the same way you'd set Kinsky, as described above) and AssetControl (beta) needs to be manually set (though the intention is to make the final release version automatically set Twonky).

I see there is also an entry for PlugPlayer which sets art to full resolution. Unlike the others (above) where I spoke to the CP designers and proposed entries to PV, I had no input to the PlugPlayer entry and thus don't know if PlugPlayer automatically sets Twonky (or whether you have to select it manually).

Note 2
(Optional experimental entry for Kinsky PDA)

If you are using an older PDA and you have lots of massive art files, there is a new entry for Kinsky PDA which sets all the art to show at 300 x 300 pixels. I asked PV (Twonky) to include this new entry as it might be a handy fallback fix for some systems and slow NAS's. If you find yourself in that position, instead of using one of the above entries, try the one called 'Linn Kinsky PDA Control Point' and see how you get on with that.

Note 3
(Optional custom clients.db file - sets every MAC/IP to full resolution art)

I also have a custom 'clients.db' file which is handy for users of Kinsky Desktop, Kinsky Touch, Konductor, etc. These do not advertise themselves to Twonky and thus you have to manually select the media receiver type from Twonky configuration pages. The custom file still does everything that it should for things like Songbook and Chorus, but it automatically sets all other devices to receive full resolution art, which means you don't have to bother remembering to set it yourself.

The file can be downloaded here and it lives one directory up from the trees (in /resources). The best way to install it is to unzip it to your NAS, then use PuTTY to navigate to the resources directory. If you are already in the trees folder (/resources/views) then simply type cd .. to get up a level. Then type ls to see the contents (you should see the existing clients.db in there) then remove it (rm clients.db) and then copy the new one to here (similar to the tree copying process cp /share/Web/clients.db .)

Note 4
(Songbook 'Lite' cache on iPad, iPhone or iPod

If using Songbook, after rebuilding the Twonky database, you might have to 'fully close' Songbook and reset its own database (this procedure is also required when you change album art). To do that, double click the iPad 'home' button, then press and hold one of the icons along the bottom strip, then tap the minus sign against the Songbook one. You can now go into the iPad settings and select to 'reset database' and it'll clear any Songbook cache in the iPad itself.

Bri

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-03-22, 15:18 (This post was last modified: 2012-05-18 12:05 by Briain.)
RE: [How to] change Twonky 6 menus (trees) in the new Qnap QPKG (and on other NAS's)
Historic Tree Packs

Previous issues of the tree packs are below (the current ones are in the above post):

The below two options show art everywhere, but not at the top of the -Folder- containers (this is the option I vastly prefer, but I never use the -Folder- containers anyway):

Album Artist version: click here (Aug 2011)
Artists only version: click here (Aug 2011)

The below two are the same as the above, but these do show art at the head of all the -Folder- containers. This is great for the ultimate album folders, but it does look pretty silly everywhere else!

Album Artist version: click here (Mar 2011)
Artists only version: click here (Mar 2011)

2011-03-22, 18:39
RE: [How to] change Twonky 6 menus (trees) in the new Qnap QPKG (and on other NAS's)
Hi Briain,
Thanks alot for this description. At last I can update my TS439Pro, which is still under 3.1.0... I will give it a try in the next few days...

LINN stuff
sources: SneakyDS, Majik DSi, G-ADSM DAC, KDSM/1
power amps: 2200, 4200 & 6100
speakers: Exakt 242, 225 4sale
cables: black, silver , K400 & K600
2011-03-22, 19:27 (This post was last modified: 2013-03-24 17:18 by Briain.)
Hi

I've changed the contents of this post to now show how to do the above using WinSCP.

Open WinSCP and select to create a new connection, then populate it with your NAS details as shown below:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5474]

If you wish, you can save this connection (and name it) as you might wish to use it again in the future.

Click on the up arrow on the right to navigate to the top level of the NAS (blue pointer) then use the up arrow on the left (red pointer) to navigate your local PC (to find the folder containing your new trees); see below:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5475]

On the right side, browse to the file containing the existing Twonky trees. I've shown this on a multi-disk Qnap, so the path for that class of NAS is as shown at the top of the next screen:

/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/TwonkyMedia/resources/views

For a single disk Qnap, it will be slightly different:

/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/TwonkyMedia/resources/views

Optional step: Select all the existing trees on the right side and (if you wish) drag and drop them into a folder on your PC (in case you want to put them back again, though that isn't necessary as you could easily reinstall the QPKG to restore them).

With the files on the right selected (as shown below) hit the delete key to delete them from the NAS.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5476]

Now select all the new trees (on the left side) then drag and drop them to the right side. You'll be asked if you are sure, so click on yes (as shown below):

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5477]

Job done, now open the Twonky config pages and elect to rebuild the Twonky database.

Bri

2011-03-22, 21:38 (This post was last modified: 2013-08-22 22:45 by Briain.)
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF WRITING THIS POST; DON'T DO ANYTHING UNTIL THIS BANNER HAS BEEN REMOVED!

(Bri: 8th March 2012)

Smile

Twonky Cache on a Qnap NAS:

If you use embedded art (like I do), Twonky caches the images on the NAS. When you rebuild the Twonky database, the cache is wiped, then when you browse the albums on your control point, it builds a cache of them so that accessing them the next time you browse should be slightly faster. Of course, many NAS's are so fast these days that the difference will not be that obvious, but it's still a sensible way to do things.

Qnap have set the NAS to empty the Twonky cache every night (as part of the housekeeping activities), but I prefer to have the cached art there until I specifically want to update it (maybe when I've changed the art on some of my existing albums (and a Twonky database rebuild empties the cache when you wish to do that).

You could stop that happening by editing a file called 'crontab', but that means you'd have to SSH (or telnet) into the NAS (using PuTTY) in a similar way to changing the trees, but there is a far, far easier way; simply move the cache and thus the Qnap won't know where it is (and thus can't delete it every night). Below are instructions on how to do this, and I've followed that with information on how to set the maximum cache size (should you wish to change it):

Moving the Twonky cache:

First created a new share called cachetwonky

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3865]

Now open the Twonky config page (http://your.nas.ip.address:9000/config) and perform a Twonky full database rebuild (to delete the contents of the existing cache). The cache is only populated when you actually browse albums on your control point, so after rebuilding the database to empty the old cache, don't browse any albums until you've moved it (next step):

Using your own Qnap's IP address (as opposed to mine) enter the following code into a web browser's address line, then hit the enter key:
Code:
http://192.168.96.20:9000/rpc/set_option?cachedir=/share/MD0_DATA/cachetwonky

Tip: As you already have the Twonky config page open from the previous step, you can simply replace the /config bit with /rpc/set_option?cachedir=/share/MD0_DATA/cachetwonky

The above is called an 'RPC call' and it enters the new cache location into the Twonky ini file, and a Twonky restart then picks up the changes (this Twonky restart is important; failing to do so will fill the old cache folder up again).

Warning Note: The the path I've suggested (/share/MD0_DATA/cachetwonky) is correct for finding the cachetwonky share on the multi-disk NAS's that I use (TS-659 and TS-219) but it might not be correct for the single bay NAS (like the TS-119); SINGLE DISK NAS SHARE PATHS TO BE CHECKED AND POST UPDATED.

Setting the maximum cache size:

The default cache maximum (set by Qnap) is about 100 MB (it's set at 100240) but you can easily increase the cache size limit, if required. In my case, I'm slowly updating my album art to 800 x 800 pixel images, so that means many are about 330 K. When they are all about that size, browsing my 3200 album covers would generate about 1 GB of cached images (and that's before you add the played tracks cache on top of that). The cool thing about creating a cachetwonky share (as described above) is that you can easily access it and find out how big it is (with Windows, you can right click on the 'images' folder and select 'properties'). In my case, it's currently about 350 MB (I've set my cache max size is set to be 500 MB). Just like the process of moving the cache, the maximum cache size can be set by yet another RPC (and restarting Twonky to pick up the changes).

in the below example, I've shown how to set it to 500 MB

Code:
http://192.168.96.20:9000/rpc/set_option?cachemaxsize=500000

.....post to be completed when I get some time to do so Smile

Edit: NB Odd attachment about Coll placed here due to an odd forum bug where new posts temporarily can't accept images (I'll sort it out later)

2011-03-24, 20:22 (This post was last modified: 2011-03-24 20:24 by Ray Blu.)
I am afraid i get stuck... (qnap ts119, twonky 6.03)
The qnap qpg page says the install folder is indeed /share/HDA_DATA/.qpg/TwonkyMedia/

BUT: I cannot find the .qpg folder in putty

I have share/HDA_DATA but no .qpg subfolder

I do have twonkymedia@ directly under /share, but when i change to that folder i cant find the resources folder. Maybe this is because twonky 6.03 was installed over version 4.x?

Suggestions are wellcome..Rolleyes
2011-03-24, 20:45 (This post was last modified: 2011-03-24 20:46 by tokenbrit.)
Hey Briain, let me know if you need any help wrt Duo - I just followed your PM'd instructions to copy/paste the files, using Win Explorer & mapped n/w drive to the NAS, into the appropriate folder (under TwonkyMedia, I believe) Then it was just a case of telling Twonky to rebuild the database... I can look up & post more details, including screenshots, if that'd help

Linn sources, pre-, & cables; Lejonklou power-; Spendor speakers
2011-03-24, 21:27 (This post was last modified: 2011-03-24 21:31 by Briain.)
(2011-03-24 20:22)Ray Blu Wrote:  I am afraid i get stuck... (qnap ts119, twonky 6.03)
The qnap qpg page says the install folder is indeed /share/HDA_DATA/.qpg/TwonkyMedia/

BUT: I cannot find the .qpg folder in putty

I have share/HDA_DATA but no .qpg subfolder

I do have twonkymedia@ directly under /share, but when i change to that folder i cant find the resources folder. Maybe this is because twonky 6.03 was installed over version 4.x?

Suggestions are wellcome..Rolleyes

Hi.

It should be .qpkg as opposed to .qpg

Bri

PS FYI If you navigate to /share/HDA_DATA then type ls -a it will show all the folders (just typing ls doesn't show the hidden ones that begin with a dot)

(2011-03-24 20:45)tokenbrit Wrote:  Hey Briain, let me know if you need any help wrt Duo - I just followed your PM'd instructions to copy/paste the files, using Win Explorer & mapped n/w drive to the NAS, into the appropriate folder (under TwonkyMedia, I believe) Then it was just a case of telling Twonky to rebuild the database... I can look up & post more details, including screenshots, if that'd help

Hi

Thanks for that kind offer, but I do have 2 friends with ReadyNAS and will thus be updating their ones soon. When I do that, I'll take screen-shots and generate an instructional post Smile

Bri
2011-03-24, 23:59
Bri,

What tree would I need if I maintain all my folders myself and I just want to browse by Folder,Artist, Album, then track numbers? Also, I tried copying the ArtistOnly trees over to my 209 last night but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I did also rebuild the database. The Tracks are still being shown alphabetically, when I'd like them by track number.

Majik DS - Majik-i - LK100 - Aktiv Keilidhs - Ku-Stone Bases - 2 x K400 - Linn Silver ICs - Quadraspire Q4 - HP MicroServer - Twonky - Nexus 7 - BubbleDS
2011-03-25, 08:51
(2011-03-24 21:27)Briain Wrote:  PS FYI If you navigate to /share/HDA_DATA then type ls -a it will show all the folders (just typing ls doesn't show the hidden ones that begin with a dot)
Thanks, the ls -a did the trick, found the right folder, got the files copied and it is working fine.