Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-31, 19:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / [How to] change Twonky 6 menus (trees) in the new Qnap QPKG (and on other NAS's)

[How to] change Twonky 6 menus (trees) in the new Qnap QPKG (and on other NAS's)
2014-05-12, 18:17
RE: [How to] change Twonky 6 menus (trees) in the new Qnap QPKG (and on other NAS's)
(2014-05-12 17:32)Briain Wrote:  
(2014-05-12 16:53)Peter Lanky Wrote:  I was hoping that by reading this thread I could make some minor alterations to by Twonky Media (7.2.7) directory structure to get rid of some unwanted choices. However it seems amazingly complicated and having perused loads of forums and looked at every option on the Twonky software, I am still no closer.

I am happy with the first level options: Music/Photos/Videos, but under 'Music', I want to simply delete some of the options rather than replace or modify them. Is there a simple way of doing this?

Hi

I've not played much with Twonky 7. It's not possible to add custom main containers, but you can tweak existing ones by editing the view-definitions.xml file (eg I turned the Artist one into an AlbumArtist/Album one).

If you just wish to delete the ones you don't wish to show, that should be very easy to achieve. Firstly, from the Twonky web interface, look at the various views and then decide on the view nearest to the one you wish (Advanced, iPod-like, or whatever) and then decide which containers you don't wish to see, then select the very simple xml file that corresponds to that view (you quite easily can tell by the file names) and remove the single lines that correspond to that main menu items you wish to hide. That ought to work very well (and without upsetting anything) but it's not something that I've tried as I don't particularly like Twonky 7.

Note that you might have to perform a database rebuild to pick any changes to the 'shortcut' trees up (I don't know that for sure; I suspect that just changing the view to another one, then changing it back again to your modified one, would maybe work). If not (and thus you do need to perform a database rebuild), the only way to do that in Twonky 7 is via a web browser by typing in your.twonky.ip.address:9000/rpc/rebuild into the URL area, then hitting the enter or return key.

Bri
Where do I find these .xml files? I've tried to locate them after reading other forums, but I'm not sure where to start. When I find the right one, is editing straight forward?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-05-12, 18:32 (This post was last modified: 2014-05-12 18:36 by Briain.)
RE: [How to] change Twonky 6 menus (trees) in the new Qnap QPKG (and on other NAS's)
Depends on the device on which you installed it. In general, it will be similar to where I've indicated (in my first post) .../resources/views (under the Twonky installation directory; likely called TwonkyMedia) on any Linux NAS. Where the main TwonkyMedia directory resides will vary between NAS vendors (if you can't find it, try SSH or Telnet and type 'find -name view-definitions.xml' at the Linux version of the command prompt).

If it's running on a Windows machine, it will likely under program files(x86)/TwonkyMedia/resources/views (or something sort of similar to that). I don't have a Windows machine with Twonky installed on it, but If the above doesn't find them, search for 'view-definitions.xml' and you'll find the views directory with the 7 (from memory) xml files within it. The default-view.xml is the main tree and the others are the small 'shortcut' files which define what's shown in each of the selectable views.
2014-05-12, 18:50
I apologise, I really haven't a clue where to start. I'm using a Qnap TS-210 NAS, and have tried to search for view-definitions.xml either via the QNAP software, or looking at it via my PC, but I'm getting absolutely nowhere.
2014-05-12, 21:22 (This post was last modified: 2014-05-12 21:24 by Briain.)
Hi

Think of the disks in your Qnap as being split into two sections; part of them are visible as the network shares that you see on your computer, and the other part contain the operating system (which is not visible as a share).

To access the operating system area, you can either use a terminal access method called SSH (using PuTTY to access the NAS). This is what's described in my first post in this thread, but it is a command line type system (looks a but like a DOS prompt in Windows, but it's actually the equivalent prompt in your Qnap, remotely accessed using PuTTY to communicate with it over the network).

That is a tad daunting for many folks, so there is another method of using WinSCP (like PuTTY, this can also be downloaded free) and that permits you access using something that more closely resembles a Windows Explorer type system (as opposed to the PuTTY command prompt) and thus WinSCP would likely be a far more familiar system to use if you are not familiar with command line type working.

If you look at my fourth post in that same thread, it briefly shows you how to access the files using WinSCP, and there is also a way to edit the files (from memory, right click on the one you wish to edit and the option should pop up; sorry I can't be more specific as I always use the command line method to access my Qnaps).

Be careful whilst you are in there as it gives you access not only to the Twonky files, but also to all the Linux system file in the NAS - it's operating system - so you don't want to accidentally delete a file that's critical to the NAS actually running.

As always, I'd advise mitigating against such things by ensuring you have a current backup if your music and data (to a USB caddy, or the likes) so if you do happen to go wrong, it's simply a matter of resetting the NAS and restoring all your files.

In truth, it's actually quite difficult to trash data on a Qnap (even a total reset doesn't lose the data) but it's far better not to have to rely on recovering from a bad situation by taking extra care to not delete system files (and by having a backup).

Hope that helps and don't worry too much; it's actually not that difficult to do, and as long as you take great care (and only tinker with the Twonky QPKG package files), it's pretty safe, but it's still advisable to have a backup before doing anything like accessing the operating system part of your NAS and tinkering with files, just to be on the safe side!!

Bri Smile
2014-05-14, 15:28 (This post was last modified: 2014-05-14 15:28 by Peter Lanky.)
Thanks Briain, that's done the trick and I now have a little more knowledge than I had before.
2014-06-18, 13:27 (This post was last modified: 2014-06-18 13:28 by Mihaylov.)
(2011-03-22 14:19)Briain Wrote:  The below trees suit any version of Twonky 5.1 or Twonky 6.0 and they will work on any NAS (not just Qnaps).
Whether these trees will work on NAS with Windows OS (with Windows version of Twonky server, for example, version 5.1.1)?

My Klimax Renew DS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=17482)/ My Audiophile NAS DIY (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=27606&pid=328246#pid328246)/ Accuphase p350/ VA Tamino modified - Tannoy ST50/ Nordost cables
2014-06-18, 14:39 (This post was last modified: 2014-06-18 14:41 by Briain.)
(2014-06-18 13:27)Mihaylov Wrote:  
(2011-03-22 14:19)Briain Wrote:  The below trees suit any version of Twonky 5.1 or Twonky 6.0 and they will work on any NAS (not just Qnaps).
Whether these trees will work on NAS with Windows OS (with Windows version of Twonky server, for example, version 5.1.1)?

Hi

Yes. They are actually in Unix format (which uses a different 'end of line' indicator than Windows uses; that's why they look a mess when opened in Windows Notepad), but I built and tested them (in Unix format) on a Windows XP machine (as at the time, it took over 1 hour to index the music on my ancient ReadyNAS, so much faster to test them using Twonky installed on my Windows PC). The Windows version of Twonky understood them, just fine, so there was no point in making two sets - one for Windows and another for Linux and Mac - when the one set worked on all devices.

Bri
2014-07-21, 12:58
I know this thread has been around a while but I'd like to add my thanks for the comprehensive instructions on setting up the custom trees and cache folder. I now have Twonky 6.0.39 running very well on my old Qnap TS109 and sending full res album art to my various clients.
2014-07-21, 13:07 (This post was last modified: 2014-07-21 13:20 by Briain.)
No worries and thank you for your post! Qnap recently deleted their Twonky QPKG packages (as well as a lot of other ones). I think that they 'lost' a server and hadn't any backup; oops! Fortunately, I had copies of the Twonky 3.0.39 QPKG packages for the various Qnap models, so emailed them over to Qnap support, and having just checked, I see the links in my original post are now working, again.

Smile

NB I didn't bother sending the 6.0.38 packages to them as I don't see any need for them (I'll remove these links from my post in a while) but I do have copies, so if anyone ever needs them, just let me know.