Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-12-20, 05:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / External drive to rip CDs with

External drive to rip CDs with
2011-04-01, 11:04
External drive to rip CDs with
Could someone recommend a good external CD drive for ripping CD's with DBpoweramp 14 for my Sneaky DS? Currently flipping between two laptop drives, but a few CD's keep going to re-rip and the disc's look fine. So frustrating. Think it could be the drive. Any thoughts would be really useful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-04-01, 18:47 (This post was last modified: 2011-04-01 19:16 by Milo Tweenie.)
RE: External drive to rip CDs with
My limited experience with USB connected external drives is that they run into problems ripping. The high spin speed and rapid acceleration during ripping continually tripped the USB port power limit (even with double headed leads). I also got errors and un-rippable tracks that ripped fine with internal drives. I suspect that external drives don't have enough power to do the job. My experience was with Samsung.

ReadyNAS Duo, Twonky 5.0.68, Majik DS/D, LK140, n-SATs
2011-04-02, 02:05 (This post was last modified: 2014-02-23 20:46 by linnrd.)
⠃⠽⠑ ⠈⠇⠇

Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff
2011-04-02, 09:12
Don’t know if it applies to USB but you can set the drive speed somewhere in dbpoweramp. Otherwise I suspect it’s largely a matter of luck with different drives, although the quality probably is variable …

ADS2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-04-02, 11:19
(2011-04-02 09:12)bez Wrote:  Don’t know if it applies to USB but you can set the drive speed somewhere in dbpoweramp. Otherwise I suspect it’s largely a matter of luck with different drives, although the quality probably is variable …

Quality drives vary ? I've tried various speeds, it is frustrating ! The disc's look ok as well.
2011-04-02, 13:17 (This post was last modified: 2011-04-02 13:18 by Milo Tweenie.)
(2011-04-01 11:04)Gbeer7 Wrote:  a few CD's keep going to re-rip and the disc's look fine

Is the rip actually failing and stopping with an error, or after re-ripping a number of frames do you get a match with AcurateRip? If the latter, don't worry about it. If you get a match or a green tick secure rip, you're done, doesn't matter how you got there.

If a track fails and ends with an error, it's worth trying another drive.

Try also asking your question on the dBpoweramp forum. Spoon is very helpful in diagnosing problems.

2011-04-02, 19:15
(2011-04-02 13:17)Milo Tweenie Wrote:  
(2011-04-01 11:04)Gbeer7 Wrote:  a few CD's keep going to re-rip and the disc's look fine

Is the rip actually failing and stopping with an error, or after re-ripping a number of frames do you get a match with AcurateRip? If the latter, don't worry about it. If you get a match or a green tick secure rip, you're done, doesn't matter how you got there.

If a track fails and ends with an error, it's worth trying another drive.

Try also asking your question on the dBpoweramp forum. Spoon is very helpful in diagnosing problems.

I'm getting re-ripping a number of frames error. for a couple of CD's. Very annoying.

So if you get an acuateRip or secure with any settings thats ok ?
2011-04-03, 12:05
(2011-04-02 19:15)Gbeer7 Wrote:  I'm getting re-ripping a number of frames error. for a couple of CD's. Very annoying.

If you get a match with AcurateRip the track is good, job done. If you don't get a match but nonetheless get a green secure tick (either because your CD has not been ripped before or is a different pressing) this is also a good rip and your rip will in effect become the first for that track in the AcurateRip database.

I would also ensure that you have very carefully followed the setup instructions and have all settings set as recommended in the guide. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know when to move away from the recommended settings, but the recommended settings have never given me a problem. As an aside I'm not sure why it's not shipped with these settings as defaults, but it's not.

The area that seems to give some people problems is c2 pointers and determining if their drive actually supports them. Personally, if your CDs are generally in good condition I would turn c2 pointers off, regardless of whether your drive claims to support them. I've never enabled them and have not run into any issues. Out of about 500 CDs I only had one that would not rip despite trying multiple drives (a Naim CD Wink) I've noticed that Spoon when helping people with unexplained errors on the dBpoweramp forum often recommends turning c2 pointers off if they have them enabled.

I see you are also getting help from Spoon on the dBpoweramp forum and that he recommends multiple drives, as opposed to a single "good one". Remember that you don't have to achieve a clean rip of a complete album from the same drive. Each track rip is an independent file, so just collect the good files together even if ripped from different drives.

2011-04-04, 17:29
(2011-04-03 12:05)Milo Tweenie Wrote:  
(2011-04-02 19:15)Gbeer7 Wrote:  I'm getting re-ripping a number of frames error. for a couple of CD's. Very annoying.

If you get a match with AcurateRip the track is good, job done. If you don't get a match but nonetheless get a green secure tick (either because your CD has not been ripped before or is a different pressing) this is also a good rip and your rip will in effect become the first for that track in the AcurateRip database.

I would also ensure that you have very carefully followed the setup instructions and have all settings set as recommended in the guide. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know when to move away from the recommended settings, but the recommended settings have never given me a problem. As an aside I'm not sure why it's not shipped with these settings as defaults, but it's not.

The area that seems to give some people problems is c2 pointers and determining if their drive actually supports them. Personally, if your CDs are generally in good condition I would turn c2 pointers off, regardless of whether your drive claims to support them. I've never enabled them and have not run into any issues. Out of about 500 CDs I only had one that would not rip despite trying multiple drives (a Naim CD Wink) I've noticed that Spoon when helping people with unexplained errors on the dBpoweramp forum often recommends turning c2 pointers off if they have them enabled.

I see you are also getting help from Spoon on the dBpoweramp forum and that he recommends multiple drives, as opposed to a single "good one". Remember that you don't have to achieve a clean rip of a complete album from the same drive. Each track rip is an independent file, so just collect the good files together even if ripped from different drives.

Thanks Milo Tweenie. So re-rip frames can work sometimes ? Spoon just said that sometimes the only way is to replace the CD. Which is not good, when they look ok or play fine on a CD player. Hoping a new drive might help.
2011-04-04, 17:41
Hi

I'm using a Sony DVD drive which does support C2. I've tried some disks that really were a struggle with my old drive (which didn't have C2 support) and they ripped swiftly and without problems. I assume that's the C2 kicking in rather than the drive being any better at reading disks.

I don't know if this has been mentioned above or not, but I don't think USB CD/DVD readers will communicate with things like EAC (and maybe dBpa) as well as SCSI, EIDE or SATA drives as I think that these programmes rely on full communication with the device and that this is not possible over a USB interface. I really can't remember what the issue is, but it's maybe something worth reading about on EAC and dBpoweramp forums. Apologies if I have that wrong - it was ages ago when I looked at all this and I simply can't remember the story - but I'm pretty sure that there is an issue. I assume eSATA will give full communication, but that's something that I've yet to read up on (and I don't even know if there are eSata disks on the market). Come to think of it, I wonder if a standard SATA DVD device could be put into a box (with a PSU) and easily hooked into an eSATA port; that's yet another thing that needs reading about!

Bri Smile