Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-18, 06:54 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / External drive to rip CDs with

External drive to rip CDs with
2011-04-05, 14:04 (This post was last modified: 2011-04-05 14:07 by Briain.)
RE: External drive to rip CDs with
(2011-04-05 10:47)Gbeer7 Wrote:  Arrr ok. Only got a laptop at home. I see what Brian means, as i guess internal latop drives are connected buy USB internal, right ?

Hi

No, in older machines they are connected to an internal IDE bus and on newer machines they'll connected to the internal SATA ports. On very new machines there might also be an external eSATA port, and if you're one does have that, let me know and I'll go read up on eSATA and see if we can adapt your new DVD to talk directly to that (I plan to do read up on it at some point anyway; I'll bring it forward if required).

Of course, in the interim, we might have someone pop into the discussion and give us the answer; anyone out there used eSATA devices and know if this is what they're the same as internal SATA (apart from the plugs)? I've always assumed this is what eSATA is for, but I'd need to actually check that's the case.

My thoughts are that if the above can be done, you can avoid the USB interface completely and thus take it right out of the equation.

Bri

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM/3 (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADSM -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' also yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-04-05, 14:34 (This post was last modified: 2011-04-05 15:42 by Gbeer7.)
What if its not an eSATA ? Does that mean its a totally different issue ?

Here is the spec of my laptop http://www.shop.bt.com/products/samsung-...-6NB9.html
2011-04-07, 00:12 (This post was last modified: 2011-04-07 00:13 by bez.)
I have a Seagate BlackArmor eSATA external hard drive (also USB if required) Seems to behave much like an internal one – powers up with PC switch on, goes to sleep when it feels like it, etc.
.. somehow don’t think a laptop would have an eSATA socket?

ADS2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-04-07, 04:53 (This post was last modified: 2014-02-23 21:01 by linnrd.)
⠃⠽⠑ ⠈⠇⠇

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.