Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-23, 16:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Announcements, News and Events / Announcements & Linn News v / Isobarik remastered for deep bass and clean highs

Isobarik remastered for deep bass and clean highs
2011-05-24, 15:02
Isobarik remastered for deep bass and clean highs
Official news item now online, along with product page, gallery and info sheet:

http://news.linn.co.uk/news/2011/05/isob...-highs.php

Majik Isobarik starting to appear at Linn retailers too - get yourself along for a listen!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-05-24, 20:32
RE: Isobarik remastered for deep bass and clean highs
Very interesting looking speaker. Is it right, though, that the news article says "richer/deeper bass when active" (not an exact quote) whereas the Info sheet states an identical frequency range whether passive or active?

Also, in comparing with the Klimax 350, I notice that Info sheet states the frequency range (and weight) of the 350P and 350A to be identical.

Is any of the above perhaps an oversight?
Find all posts by this user
2011-05-25, 11:08
(2011-05-24 20:32)heinzeman Wrote:  Very interesting looking speaker. Is it right, though, that the news article says "richer/deeper bass when active" (not an exact quote) whereas the Info sheet states an identical frequency range whether passive or active?

Also, in comparing with the Klimax 350, I notice that Info sheet states the frequency range (and weight) of the 350P and 350A to be identical.

Is any of the above perhaps an oversight?

Hi Heinzeman,
let me see if I can clarify things.
You are correct that on the Majik Isobarik the low end frequency response is the same (-3dB point) for both passive and Aktiv. However, when driven Aktiv the bass does sound richer and deeper compared to the passive speaker. This is mainly due to the bass becoming faster (improved timing), which means for the duration of a bass note the Aktiv system will introduce more acoustic energy into the room. Consider the time envelope of the bass signal, in Aktiv it goes on and off exactly with the input signal, in the passive there is a slight ramp on (slower attack) so the envelope will contain less energy.

For the Klimax 350 the bass is always Aktiv, it uses Aktiv servo technology. Only the top end of the Klimax speaker can be passive, so there will be no change between bass for either passive or Aktiv 350s.

Hope this helps

Phil.
2011-05-25, 11:14 (This post was last modified: 2011-05-25 11:18 by heinzeman.)
Thanks, Phil.

I should have known better than to doubt the accuracy of your documents(!) but I thought I was being helpful! I'm one of your more naive customers, for sure, not really knowing or even understanding much about the more technical side of things.

I wouldn't have suspected anything was amiss in the first place, except for the fact that I used to own Ninka speakers and I knew that they went to a lower Hz when active, according to the information sheet/instruction manual. I now see that the same doesn't apply to the Majik Isobarik and that it obviously doesn't apply in the case of the Klimax 350 (as the bass is always active as you have said. (I can't believe I missed that, I feel so stupid))!

On a personal note, I am very much looking forward to hearing the new Majik Isobarik, and, for what it's worth, congratulate you on such a timeless and elegant design.

Best
Heinzeman
Oh! ... What about the identical "published weight" figure for the Klimax 350A / P? (Do I score any points with that observation...?)! (Desperately trying to redeem myself but prepared to be humbled once more)!

Heinzeman