Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-11-26, 07:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / DS Troubleshooting v / How to add Album Art to Flac Files?

How to add Album Art to Flac Files?
2008-11-11, 16:45
Rolleyes How to add Album Art to Flac Files?
Hi There

I'm new to the DS world and have been astonished by the sound. However, I am having trouble with Max (I'm a MAC user). How do I get MAX to download Album Art when I have ripped a CD?

Also, I now have 1,500 songs ripped all in Flac but without Album Art. I tried to use MonkeyMedia to add a Album Art but it seems this maybe a very slow process. I also have doubts whether it can cope with the sheer volume of files correctly.

Does any one have any ideas how to add Album Art to these Flac files in a more convenient way?

Was not a huge issue before, but now that I have SongBook, it would be nice to see the covers.

Thanks

Akurate DS, Majik-I, Majik 2100, B&W 805s
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2008-11-11, 18:11 (This post was last modified: 2008-11-11 20:05 by SteveC.)
RE: How to add Album Art to Flac Files?
You might want to look on the Media Monkey http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewfor...a23e35b12b scripts forum. I beleieve there was one for bulk album art downloader. Normally one just press ctl-L to get individual album details.

Edit: this is the one I was thinking of http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtop...+album+art
2008-11-12, 13:17
Quote:How do I get MAX to download Album Art when I have ripped a CD?
Before (!) you start the ripping process, press "Apple D" to open the cover download dialog. You usually get several covers (e.g. different sizes, front and back, etc) to choose from. Take your pick, press return.

Covers are embedded as Metadata, but you can make MAX save an additional copy of the image in the album folder, along with the FLACs. You find the settings in the MAX preferences.

If the covers show up or not also depends on the server software you are using. Twonky serves album art since version 4.6 (I think..) but is not always very consistent in this respect.

Cheers,

Bernhard
2008-11-12, 16:38 (This post was last modified: 2009-01-11 02:01 by Briain.)
Hi

If ripping, set your ripping software to save the art as 'Folder.jpg' and DO NOT use embedded art. I've just typed the below so you can see the nature of problem and to also help anyone else with existing collections.

How to get art working guide (thanks also due to Audiokaas for some of these)…

Art has been available since Twonky 4.4.4. but it is a bit buggy. It looks to me like it probably works something this: When building a Twonky database (the place where a ‘rescan’ stores information from all the tags and the artwork for forwarding to your control point) Twonky first looks for embedded art then if it doesn't find any, looks for Folder.jpg. The trouble is that it when you have embedded art, Twonky is either not picking it all up, or getting ‘confused’ about where it has stored it in its database; I think it’s possibly to do with the file names from which it has lifted the art but that's a bit of a guess.

It seems best to remove all embedded art such that Twonky is forced to lift the Folder.jpg from the album directory. The first thing to do here is take a backup, or at the very least, pull one of your NAS drives so you can get back to square one if there is a disaster! Think of the time it took you to rip this stuff and think about messing all the tags up by accidentally doing the wrong thing. Then think that a 500GB disk and external USB costs about £60, go buy one and do a backup. The remove one NAS disk so you can reset things easily!!

You first have to remove all apostrophes and ampersand symbol from the path names (a bulk utility might help but I just checked them all and did manually for safety reasons). Thing's like Clubber's guide to '99 as a folder name have to have the two red apostrophes whipped out or Twonky will not deal with the artwork. Same applies to '&' in Sasha & Digweed.

If you have all embedded art (and nothing else), you can use dBpoweramp batch converter to extract an image called ‘Folder.jpg’ into each album directory (an automated process for your whole collection). You can then use Mp3tag to select the whole collection and remove all embedded art. This can be done by selecting all tracks fro a large group of albums, right click on the picture area (there won't be a picture since you have selected a gropu of albums) and from the drop down list, select remove cover. You will then need to select the save button and wait for it to update the tags.

Two other issues, you can’t have other images in the same directory (so either delete them, or create a new folder (in each album folder) and store them there, or use a batch rename tool to change all jpg extensions (except Folder.jpg) to *.bak (or whatever suits you).

Try a Twonky database rebuild after that and investigate any missing ones, you’ll find some are caused by *.png files (move them to a sub folder) and a tiny few others (about 0.05% in my case) simply don’t work. For these, re-embed the art into the FLAC files and hide the Folder.jpg

Yes, this is no walk in the park and all due to Twonky bugs but it isn’t too painful and the big bits are automated. The only alternative is to make do with the missing art and wait until the next Twonky (and assume they’ve fixed these things).

Bri
2008-11-12, 16:46
A bit off topic: How do I add album art when ripping with EAC? Is there a thread about this already? Thanks.

LP12 (Klimax Radikal, Keel, Ekos SE, Akiva, Urika) - KDS/1 (QNAP TS-119, Netgear GS108, GISO isolator) - KK/1 - 2x Akurate 226 - Klimax Solos - Akurate 212
Keith Monks RCM II
2008-11-12, 16:51 (This post was last modified: 2008-11-12 16:54 by Briain.)
EAC doesn't do art, there are mentions of great looking utilitues elsewhere in this forum but I just use Mp3tag (not to embed, just to save; see above for why), or go find them manually on discogs or somewhere the web (I've only had to use a scanner 8 times so most are there somewhere if you hunt about long enough). I use dBpoweramp for most stuff now so the problem has gone away.
2008-11-19, 15:08 (This post was last modified: 2008-11-19 15:09 by curzon.)
Hi guys, hi Mohanty

a few days ago I bought MuvUnder Cover, a tool which scans the whole music directory with 1000's of files (mp3, flac etc.) and almost automatically add album art to them. You can select which cover you'd like - if there's more than one hit.
I saved a lot of time with this tool and can strongly recommend it - it's definetely worth it's 15$.

URL: Muvenum

You can even select between embedding the cover in the file only or add a folder.jpg. After this 'treatment' only a few covers are not been shown in SongBook but I think that this has something to do with the pixel sizes. (Very small (100x100px) covers of covers with a diffent ratio than 1:1 don't show up)

greetz
curzon

Majik DS-I (Dynamik) + Majik Isobarik, SilentWire AC16 + LS6
2008-11-29, 18:21
Regardless of the tool I have been using (on my FLAc files, embedded JPG cover arts) , Townky (4.49) and Songbook (1.03) show the following misbehaviour:

The majority of of cover arts show up, but some don't. In particular, the ones of classical music (with composer, album artist and conductor set) don't display properly.

Watching them with MediaMonkey on a PC, they all appear to be all right.

Starting a rescan of the library from Twonky control panel improves the sitation, but almost arbitrarily. Some (even classical ones) work well, some still don't.

Does anybody have an idea, why Twonky and Songbook don't get along with this?

Cheers, SMSWAP

curzon Wrote:Hi guys, hi Mohanty

a few days ago I bought MuvUnder Cover, a tool which scans the whole music directory with 1000's of files (mp3, flac etc.) and almost automatically add album art to them. You can select which cover you'd like - if there's more than one hit.
I saved a lot of time with this tool and can strongly recommend it - it's definetely worth it's 15$.

URL: Muvenum

You can even select between embedding the cover in the file only or add a folder.jpg. After this 'treatment' only a few covers are not been shown in SongBook but I think that this has something to do with the pixel sizes. (Very small (100x100px) covers of covers with a diffent ratio than 1:1 don't show up)

greetz
curzon
2008-11-29, 21:53
Your comments about removing one disk from your NAS is WRONG - this would only work if you are running your NAS RAID 1 (Mirroring) if you are running any of the other more common RAID variants it will either just not work (RAID 5 & 6) or worse destroy all the data (RAID 0).

I would VERY STRONGLY recommend people take off-site backups of their music files. A NAS does not guarantee that your data is immune to things - what happens if you were to press delete by accident or your RAID controller firmware had a bug (& yes even the best RAID controllers have bugs which CAN RESULT IN DATA LOSS*) - or you had a power glitch & fried you NAS etc etc.

Buy a second external disk & learn about rsync or SyncToy - PLEASE.

Rik

* & I'm talking of the big guys here - HP XP / EMC running fiberchannel SANs etc

http://www.rikwatson.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2008-11-30, 09:38
Hi Rik,

can't get the context here. Are you sure that this is your answer to my question?

Cheers,
SMSWAP

Rik Wrote:Your comments about removing one disk from your NAS is WRONG - this would only work if you are running your NAS RAID 1 (Mirroring) if you are running any of the other more common RAID variants it will either just not work (RAID 5 & 6) or worse destroy all the data (RAID 0).

I would VERY STRONGLY recommend people take off-site backups of their music files. A NAS does not guarantee that your data is immune to things - what happens if you were to press delete by accident or your RAID controller firmware had a bug (& yes even the best RAID controllers have bugs which CAN RESULT IN DATA LOSS*) - or you had a power glitch & fried you NAS etc etc.

Buy a second external disk & learn about rsync or SyncToy - PLEASE.

Rik

* & I'm talking of the big guys here - HP XP / EMC running fiberchannel SANs etc