Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 09:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure

Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure
2012-01-04, 02:55
RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure
Another great write-up, Dr-Eddie, and a great read – it's almost as though I was there enjoying the music!
A review that actually talks about music! Something that most (all?) contemporary reviewers seem to neglect, instead waffling on about all the hi-fi guff that they obsess over! Sad

Ahh, correct system hierarchy; sadly, increasingly unfashionable these days; where's Chris Frankland, when you need him?

And to top it all, a fellow Jethro Tull fan! TBH, though, not appreciating the masterpiece that is “Aqualung” until now?; black mark, there, I'm afraid Wink

You do indeed seem rather lucky when it comes to equipment; I'm still searching for suitably mint examples of the items I'm after Sad

Any more pics for us to salivate over?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-01-04, 16:48
(2012-01-04 02:55)CaledonianFE Wrote:  And to top it all, a fellow Jethro Tull fan! TBH, though, not appreciating the masterpiece that is “Aqualung” until now?; black mark, there, I'm afraid Wink

Interesting point, I have a mint condition "Aqualung" album and it has always sounded great. Although as my Sondek was upgraded, the album did contine to sound better with each improvement.

But at least Dr. Eddie can really enjoy his "Aqualung" album nowCool
2012-01-04, 19:31 (This post was last modified: 2012-01-04 19:41 by Dr_Eddie.)
(2012-01-04 02:55)CaledonianFE Wrote:  Another great write-up, Dr-Eddie, and a great read – it's almost as though I was there enjoying the music!
A review that actually talks about music! Something that most (all?) contemporary reviewers seem to neglect, instead waffling on about all the hi-fi guff that they obsess over! Sad

Ahh, correct system hierarchy; sadly, increasingly unfashionable these days; where's Chris Frankland, when you need him?

And to top it all, a fellow Jethro Tull fan! TBH, though, not appreciating the masterpiece that is “Aqualung” until now?; black mark, there, I'm afraid Wink

You do indeed seem rather lucky when it comes to equipment; I'm still searching for suitably mint examples of the items I'm after Sad

Any more pics for us to salivate over?

There will be a few more pics in my thread called You've Been Fraimed
which explores just what goes into building up a Naim Fraim.
I was helping Peter put this lot together from a pile of boxes and it was more fun than I've had in ages. Not sure if Peter had as much fun as me because it seemed I tended to put it together "on the wonk" which he had to correct, but I learnt fast...........

go and make tea. hehe.

Thanks fellas for the kind remarks, I always knew Aqualung was highly regarded amongst Tull afficionados, but

somehow, in the past, for me at least, it never seemed to really get going, yes, it had its moments but I

always thought that the recording hassles and lack of cohesion within the band at that time had somehow taken

its toll of the spontaneous enjoyment that was so easily heard on the first two outings. It never seemed to be

able to command my attention all the way through, I found it hard to penetrate the quieter sections. Maybe I

was just a petrolhead, although I appear to have mellowed since then.

Consequently, I'm ahamed to admit, that I failed to really persevere with it. On the few occasions I had played

it, it had sounded somewhat wooden and contrived.
Was it Folk........or was it Rock ?

The Active system seems to have plugged into a different plane of energy that was all but hidden before,

because the answer has to be..........Its Rock, by God.
Now the structure of IA's songs are fully revealed to me properly. I'm sure I'm hearing what he was trying to

express before, but because the songs rely so much on the use of tension, pathos and mounting suspense, tempo

and dynamics, they are, in fact, a springboard for IA's strutting swaggery and theatrical leanings but lose

none of their impact for being solely heard but not seen.Unfortunately it missed me, by miles.

I do in fact "see" him at long last. Better late than never, dear friend.
Whatever I failed to hear before, I hear now and enjoy, I'm sure the system is giving their music, it's best

chance to be appreciated at long last. It is powerful stuff indeed. No wonder they went supernova after this.
What did everyone else listen to it on though ?, that's begs a question.
Don't say it.......................................

I must have been dead from the neck down.

Now I'm skint as well.

But in answer to your question Salty Dog...............I like it, like it, yes I do .......................cos its only Rock and Roll, yes I like it.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-01-05, 00:36
Dylan used to leave me wondering about all the hoop-la. With my current system, I just can't get enough. Glad you are at "that place".

1 - LP12 SE, KDS, Lejonklou Boazu, JBL 3677s
2 - RKDS, KK, ATC50ASLTs
3 - Piano Disc'd Steinway, ADS, Karin, Klout, Kabers.
2012-01-05, 20:26
(2012-01-05 00:36)SaltyDog Wrote:  Dylan used to leave me wondering about all the hoop-la. With my current system, I just can't get enough. Glad you are at "that place".

In the past, all of my Bob Dylan albums weren't that entertaining. But after getting the Linn Linto and Akiva, his albums became more enjoyable. Now with the additional upgrades of Radikal, Urika, ChrisH plinth, etc. his albums are even more fun to hear. Of course this could be said about other albums too.
2012-01-06, 13:43
Yes. indeed, there are, and always have been albums that have always sounded great on whatever system I've played them on. Then there are albums that have sounded good on earlier systems, then later found disappointing on so called "better" systems, then come "good" again.

Then there is the type of album under discussion here, like Bob and later Tull. It seems these tend to sound at their best on "simple" systems. Otherwise how did the great unwashed realise it before us? I remember my sister's Dansette record player being far more musically rewarding to listen to The Beatles on, than my subsequent, elaborate, self assembled "system" comprising separate components. ( the left and right channels consisted of 2 X 100 Watt Marshall stacks...........hehe)
Although the system here now is definitely of the elaborate variety, it falls into the same musically simple accessable bracket as that Dansette record player, of long ago. A Linn/Naim system.
A lot more expensive perhaps, yes, but the music seems to emerge far less the worse for wear going through it now, in the same way.

It seems to be a truth in this hobby that the more you seek , the less you find. Sometimes, through sheer luck, the music will find you and take you to "That Place". True wisdom is knowing when it happens and being satisfied.

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-01-06, 14:22
(2012-01-06 13:43)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  It seems to be a truth in this hobby that the more you seek , the less you find. Sometimes, through sheer luck, the music will find you and take you to "That Place". True wisdom is knowing when it happens and being satisfied.

Well said Dr. Eddie...Cool
2012-01-08, 12:41
(2012-01-04 19:31)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  SNIP
What did everyone else listen to it on though ?, that's begs a question.
Don't say it.......................................

I'd have a seat, if I were you, Dr_Eddie, because, unfortunately, most of the Tull albums I have are on...CD!!!

So, a few players over the years, but, in the main, Naim CDS.
2012-01-08, 12:54
(2012-01-06 13:43)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Yes. indeed, there are, and always have been albums that have always sounded great on whatever system I've played them on. Then there are albums that have sounded good on earlier systems, then later found disappointing on so called "better" systems, then come "good" again.

Then there is the type of album under discussion here, like Bob and later Tull. It seems these tend to sound at their best on "simple" systems. Otherwise how did the great unwashed realise it before us? I remember my sister's Dansette record player being far more musically rewarding to listen to The Beatles on, than my subsequent, elaborate, self assembled "system" comprising separate components. ( the left and right channels consisted of 2 X 100 Watt Marshall stacks...........hehe)
Although the system here now is definitely of the elaborate variety, it falls into the same musically simple accessable bracket as that Dansette record player, of long ago. A Linn/Naim system.
A lot more expensive perhaps, yes, but the music seems to emerge far less the worse for wear going through it now, in the same way.

It seems to be a truth in this hobby that the more you seek , the less you find. Sometimes, through sheer luck, the music will find you and take you to "That Place". True wisdom is knowing when it happens and being satisfied.

The problem, IMO, is that most hi-fi equipment produces 'hi-fi sound', rather than music. If a recording is poor, then they will just highlight this; The more musical a system, the easier it is to ignore the, all too common, problems of the recordings themselves, and sit back and enjoy the actual music. Some old 'transistor radios' (I was going to say trannys, but... Wink) , though not particularly revealing, or insightful, can be reasonably musical, unlike many 'high-end' hi-fi systems, in my experience.

Some things are beyond even the most musical of systems, though, like the awful narrated section in "A Passion Play" - bugger me, it's irritating! Sad Wink
2012-01-09, 14:00
I agree wholeheartedly, the thing that scared me the most about going Active was that the results would be all about hifi and the music would suffer. Thank god it was the other way round, all music and very little to do with hifi.
My mum had a Roberts Radio a few years back, that was very musical. I heard many a John Peel session via that.

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com