Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 03:41 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure

Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure
2012-04-03, 21:14
RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure
Thank you Dr. Eddie, I do hope to get over there eventually. I would very much enjoy hearing your Sara speakers and to visit Peter's shop as well. My girlfriend studied in Luxembourg during her college years, and stayed in one of the castles. So, she would like to show me where she lived, and the all the areas she traveled and visited.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-04, 15:06
Sounds like it would be a great holiday too. Let me know when you decide to travel. I'm sure I have many of the albums in your collection as well.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-04-04, 15:33
(2012-04-04 15:06)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Sounds like it would be a great holiday too. Let me know when you decide to travel. I'm sure I have many of the albums in your collection as well.

Thanks again Dr. Eddie Cool
2012-04-11, 01:45
OK folks, as promised my pal Terry made the hike over to my gaff from North London bringing some vinyl masterpieces with him. We had a few hours of spinning vinyl at 33 and then 45 rpm.
Here then, are his impressions of the current system. There was no pressure on him to identify any differences due to Khan. The last time he heard it though was with the vanilla SS top plate.
I just wanted him to listen to music that he was familiar with, so he could enjoy any improvements that he might have heard.

"Hi Eddie,

I had a great afternoon listening to your system, and what an amazing sound you are now getting from those rebuilt Sara's.

It's a little difficult for me to identify what the Khan has brought to the turntable in isolation to the latest mods (going active plus the Naim Fraim) but what is apparent is the incredible dynamics and clarity of the system.
Certainly the sound of drum kit has suddenly taken a dramatic leap forward in dynamics and precision, Bass lines have become faster and more dynamic, in fact I have never heard bass with such incredible depth and punch from a pair of Sara's before. (Now that's saying something having once owned a pair) The scale of the bass from such a modest speaker beggars belief. My passive Naim SBL's are no slouch in the bass department, but not in the same league in terms of very low frequency kick.

The clarity of vocals and harmonies has taken a step forward being that much closer to the real event. We listened to both standard pressings, Mobile Fidelity and finally the American pressing of Fleetwood Mac's 2x45rpm Rumours album, they all blew me away, quite simply a very entertaining few hours of musical pleasure.

The mind boggles when it comes to your next Sara rebuild with those larger drive units, just hope the cabinets can hang in there with the copious levels of bass.
Hope you get the Rumours album OK, the guy at Vinylonly.biz is very obliging.

Be in touch.

Terry

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-04-14, 23:04
Dr. Eddie,
I didn't read this thread until right after you completed your last project.

I became aware of your writings and only read your posts on the "LP12 Forum". If I knew of your quest, I could have given you some, of what I consider, better advice along that journey.

Back in the 80s, I heard quite a few hi-fis which contained SARAs. I've heard two active systems since, one with Naim amplification.

The best I ever heard SARAs was a top LP12/Naim amps with the SARAs mounted on opposite sides of an all stone fireplace, sitting right on a mantle. It was in a log cabin in northern Michigan. Away from any vibrations and very clean electricity. My female companion and I didn't stray from that listening room for an entire weekend!

Even though I had what I consider a top-notch hi-fi, and had listened to and sold hundreds of systems over the years at that time, this was one which was a "keeper".

Fast-forward to the late 90s: I was a bit upset when a hi-fi I had dibs on got sold to some nimrod newbie. This dipshit offed the Naim electronics and decided to mod his SARAs. He tore apart the already active SARAs and made them radio-active (or super-active) (or super-conductive) [sorry, I'm at a loss for cool verbiage].

Anyway, he did kind of like you; he turned active SARAs into three-way active SARAs!!! His journey led him to, if I remember correctly, Keilidh active cross-overs, powered from three LK100 amps.

I only got to hear this hi-fi for a very short time. I didn't think it sounded that amazing until I found out it was only regular "active". Then it was "Super" activated.

After hearing the triple-active configuration::: WOW! What a stunning demonstration! I still thought the all-mason passive system I previously heard was better (for several reasons). However, my post today is to simply convey the improvement a Linn speaker goes through from two-way active to three-way active.

It will take little in the way of resources to convert your new project to a "three-way" speaker. In fact, you have left yourself with no upgrades at this time. Going the route of another set of 135s and Fraims will keep you toward your ultimate goal (which you aren't even close to yet!).

Enjoy your journey,

Ron The Mon
Super-Active SARA Fan
2012-04-15, 09:27 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-15 09:38 by Dr_Eddie.)
Oh boy Ron, what a thought that is. It hadn't crossed my mind. At the moment things are being held up whilst I await the new tweeters. Then I must first investigate the SP1022 drive units.

IF I'm right, the improvements wrought from this could take me a long way towards that goal.
Fate has also been kind in the meantime. I have a Z-Foil 453R AirPlug for the Superline which arrived in the post yesterday. I don't quite know what I was expecting from this, all I had been told was that
a) They were being sold as fast as they arrive,
It was noticeably heavier than the Naim one, and required a 3 week burn in.

I fired up the system for the evening and settled in. On to the platter went Bonnie Raitt's The Glow.
arguably her best album.
Ye bloody Gods.....................what was this ? barely 4 bars into the first track I was hurriedly joined by my daughter ( studying music tech at the Purcell School, she aspires to be a studio engineer and she is GOOD ) "What have you done Dad, it sounds like a live band even from upstairs"
"My god, listen to way those drums have been recorded, that is how they should sound "
The comments kept coming, she was blown away, yet again.
And in the next 3 weeks it will continue to improve. The dynamics are simply unbelievable, and it is so organic, it takes your breath away.

When you consider she has a multi- million pound SOTA digital recording studio at her disposal, and she is blown away by a 1979 LP playing through a speaker designed about 34 years ago, you wonder whether we've really made progress at all. The words lost the plot spring to mind.

So thanks for the kind words Ron, and your experiences ring a big bell in this house, that is a fact.
The journey continues.............................

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-04-15, 18:03
Dr_Eddie,

My first post on the Linn Forum so your Sara odyssey has taken my virginity on this forum at least!

I have just read through this thread and I am in awe of what you have achieved with your Sara's! I am also now totally depressed!

You see, I have a pristine pair of Sara 9's and for a few years now I have toyed with the idea of making them active but I thought it couldn't be done and now that I have seen what you have achieved I should be happy! Alas, No!

The problem is that I have nowhere near enough skill or expertise to do what you have done and I can only dream of what could be.

Anyway, what a fantastic effort and thankfully you live far enough away that I'll never get to hear them and become ever more depressed in the process!

Cheers

Jim
2012-04-15, 20:27
[quote='Dr_Eddie' pid='189130' dateline='1334478452']
I fired up the system for the evening and settled in. On to the platter went Bonnie Raitt's The Glow.
arguably her best album.

Hi Dr_Eddie
As always a great report, but more importantly you got me digging into my library for an album i have not played in a while. I would love to hear this on your system but even on my humble set up the album is a real treat qualiy musicians performing quality songs!!
Thanks for the reminder and keep 'em comingSmile
Tony
2012-04-17, 07:36 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-17 07:47 by Dr_Eddie.)
(2012-04-15 18:03)Exiled Highlander Wrote:  Dr_Eddie,

My first post on the Linn Forum so your Sara odyssey has taken my virginity on this forum at least!

I have just read through this thread and I am in awe of what you have achieved with your Sara's! I am also now totally depressed!

You see, I have a pristine pair of Sara 9's and for a few years now I have toyed with the idea of making them active but I thought it couldn't be done and now that I have seen what you have achieved I should be happy! Alas, No!

The problem is that I have nowhere near enough skill or expertise to do what you have done and I can only dream of what could be.

Anyway, what a fantastic effort and thankfully you live far enough away that I'll never get to hear them and become ever more depressed in the process!

Cheers

Jim

The only answer here Jim, is firstly, welcome to these forums, secondly to thank you for reading my thread, not an easy first time task. Also, don't be depressed. You still have a fantastic speaker, nothing's changed.
If you really do want an Active pair, try to get hold of another pair of Saras so you can afford to experiment. You still need to be able to listen to your system whilst you are working on the donor pair. If things work out, then great you can keep your Sara 9's as is. If they don't then you have a great source of spare parts. All you really need are the cabinets. The tweeters and bass units you can still get hold of. I say go for it.
Don't belittle your own skill just yet. You can always rely on me for help and advice. Live the dream.

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-05-07, 12:36
"I also once again, await a new pair of the truly wondrous D2008/851200 Ferro fluid damped tweeters. This unit is now even cheaper (I saved a full £20=00), on my previous order a year ago, due to the weak Euro. That is a big plus, and makes this unit one of the best upgrades possible for next to no money. It outperforms units costing many times this price, blows away the early D2008 originally fitted, which is so crude by comparison. I have it on good authority from other forum members that it also blows away the Hiquaphon unit that replaced the D2008. It really is a no brainer for anyone with Kans, Saras or Isobariks., and it has improved one member’s SBLs too."

Hi Dr Eddie
I currently have rega xels which use the d2008/85110 tweeters
I have found your comments regarding the d2008/85120 very interesting
do you know if I could do a straight replacement for what I have now or would I need to change caps as well?
Your comments would be appreciated
Many thanks
Tony