Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-18, 04:55 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure

Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure
2012-05-07, 14:24
RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure
If the Rega used an 851100, then it just drops straight in. The frequency response is the same, so no need to change caps. They do require a 40 hour burn in though, after which you will be totally blown away.

What the 851200 brings to the table is a response that has no notches in. It is so sweet, clean, detailed and musical. Will improve on an already good speaker.

Please do come back here with your experiences, so other forum members can benefit.
Best of luck with the project.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-05-07, 16:03
(2012-05-07 14:24)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  If the Rega used an 851100, then it just drops straight in. The frequency response is the same, so no need to change caps. They do require a 40 hour burn in though, after which you will be totally blown away.

What the 851200 brings to the table is a response that has no notches in. It is so sweet, clean, detailed and musical. Will improve on an already good speaker.

Please do come back here with your experiences, so other forum members can benefit.
Best of luck with the project.
Hi Dr Eddie
many thanks will phone falcon tomorrow and get it moving
regards
Tony
2012-05-10, 10:55
And yesterday something arrived in the post that was life changing. The last SP1039 unit that I was short of. Unpacking the box revealed another pristine drive unit that tested OK.
To be honest, the standard Linn drive units sound so good in my current Active pair, that I hadn't felt the need to start the rebuild with the SP1022 units. This is different though.

Now I can go for broke though, should be fun. Keep tuned.

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-05-11, 16:00
Hi Dr Eddie
many thanks will phone falcon tomorrow and get it moving
regards
Tony

[/quote]

arrived today!!
2012-05-11, 18:21
Good news Tony, quick service from Falcon indeed. Really interested in how the Regas perform after installation and burn-in.

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-05-11, 21:47
(2012-05-11 18:21)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Good news Tony, quick service from Falcon indeed. Really interested in how the Regas perform after installation and burn-in.

Hi Dr-Eddie
Yes excellent service indeed!!
Jerry was going away on a work meeting for a couple of days, but although rushing out the door to leave, he took my order and made sure it was processed.
I have installed them tonight and have left them to burn in on low volume over the weekend with my ipod.
I look forward to dropping in occasionally to see how things are progressing.Wink
Will keep you posted
regards
tony
2012-05-14, 19:43
(2012-05-11 18:21)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Good news Tony, quick service from Falcon indeed. Really interested in how the Regas perform after installation and burn-in.

Hi Dr_Eddie
Ok so left running over the weekend and have sat down this afternoon for a listen:

speed and attack
space
authority and power
vocals more intelligible
cymbals so sweet
SMOOOOOTH
These are the first things i wrote down as it is difficult to put into words the size of improvement
Am i sure i only changed the tweeter?????????????
The improvement in bass control and authority is amazing
Try Mellisa Etheridge 'chrome plated heart' the speed of the snare drums in the intro followed by the weight of the kick drum!
Try Ronny Jordan 'the jackal' from A Quiet Revoloution the vocal is so real !
Try 'words of love' by the Beatles, no longer do the guitars sound jangly and over dominate the track but sound 'right' allowing the handclaps to bring the rythm to the track
I could go on but all i would say is A BIG THANK YOU !!
Great upgrade for just over 100 quid resultBig Grin
The only problem is i bought some new clarity caps so once the tweeters are well run in it may well improve even moreWink
will keep you posted
Regards
Tony
2012-05-17, 18:37
Yes, you aren't the first person to notice that the bass end actually gets tighter and more dynamic when the tweeters are replaced with units this good.
One can only imagine how good the Linn Isobarik would be with 4 of these units on board. I intend to try that though with my friend John's Active pair. We have the 4 tweeters now. Just need the time to redecorate his room, install the system, then replace the tweeters.

Next year perhaps.
Great result though Tony. Thanks for the feedback.

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-07-09, 16:48
Well, the journey is well and truly over my friends. The Sara X is now alive and kicking. They are still practically out of the box and will need extensive running in. But I can tell you this.

THEY ARE BRUTAL, this speaker should come in a box will yellow and black stripes and a printed Government Health Warning, also Hardhats and Boots should be worn because the plaster on the ceiling is likely to give up its fragile hold on the joists of the floor upstairs.

Despite being incredibly stiff/ airtight these new Saras are the most surprising speakers I've ever been privileged to hear. What is the surprise ? well. you'll have to wait for the full review to find out. That will take some time, since they will need at least 40 hours to burn in.

I am now perfectly comfortable with why Linn chose to ignore these large motor drive units. It all makes perfect sense now, and if I was on the original design team I would have endorsed their decision.
That they make incredible music, so endowed is without question, the PF ( party factor ) is huge, but they contained a surprise twist in the tail that absolutely floored me. More of that in the review, complete with pictures of the final assembly containing detail differences with the early pair.

I hope I've whetted your appetite. Now to spin some yummie vinyl........................

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-07-09, 18:09
Look forward to reading more Dr. Eddie Cool. So, will you be keeping both sets of Sara speakers?

(2012-07-09 16:48)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Well, the journey is well and truly over my friends. The Sara X is now alive and kicking. They are still practically out of the box and will need extensive running in. But I can tell you this.

THEY ARE BRUTAL, this speaker should come in a box will yellow and black stripes and a printed Government Health Warning, also Hardhats and Boots should be worn because the plaster on the ceiling is likely to give up its fragile hold on the joists of the floor upstairs.

Despite being incredibly stiff/ airtight these new Saras are the most surprising speakers I've ever been privileged to hear. What is the surprise ? well. you'll have to wait for the full review to find out. That will take some time, since they will need at least 40 hours to burn in.

I am now perfectly comfortable with why Linn chose to ignore these large motor drive units. It all makes perfect sense now, and if I was on the original design team I would have endorsed their decision.
That they make incredible music, so endowed is without question, the PF ( party factor ) is huge, but they contained a surprise twist in the tail that absolutely floored me. More of that in the review, complete with pictures of the final assembly containing detail differences with the early pair.

I hope I've whetted your appetite. Now to spin some yummie vinyl........................