Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure

Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure
2017-06-07, 11:45
RE: Linn Sara DMS to PMS Procedure
You might find it easier to use Naim amplification for this. Otherwise you will need to source another Mark Levinson amp to match your current one. The Saras were voiced with Naim amplification in the design phase so it is not really that surprising that they sound at their very best with Naim amps.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-06-07, 12:27
(2017-06-07 11:45)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  You might find it easier to use Naim amplification for this. Otherwise you will need to source another Mark Levinson amp to match your current one. The Saras were voiced with Naim amplification in the design phase so it is not really that surprising that they sound at their very best with Naim amps.

I do not believe that the Sara designed for bad signal sources like Naim. Probably also a reason why Linn built very early own amplifier. And a Sara sounded gigantic with Linn amplifiers.

Greetings Jörn (sorry for my awful english)
Hörland - Over 40 years LINN
Open Source Seite: http://www.jpo-aktuell.de/OpenSource.php

New LP12, Radikal, Urika, Kore, Ekos SE, Kristal / QNAP 569 Pro / RME UCX
Akurate Exakt DSM2 / Kinsky (Minim) - Sneaky
Akubarik with Amp Stands / Silvercable - Unik / K200
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-06-07, 17:16
(2017-06-07 12:27)JPO2005 Wrote:  
(2017-06-07 11:45)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  You might find it easier to use Naim amplification for this. Otherwise you will need to source another Mark Levinson amp to match your current one. The Saras were voiced with Naim amplification in the design phase so it is not really that surprising that they sound at their very best with Naim amps.

I do not believe that the Sara designed for bad signal sources like Naim. Probably also a reason why Linn built very early own amplifier. And a Sara sounded gigantic with Linn amplifiers.

Naim are not the source, the turntable is the source. If you believe Naim amplifiers to be poor then that is your opinion. I respect that. There are many on these boards who will disagree with you though. I myself , being one of them.

They are musically superior to any of the exotica I've heard over many, many years.

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-06-08, 00:28
I thought I'd try classic approach...transistor for bass/mid and airy transistor or maybe better tube amp for highs ....just forgot what do I need to take into account when choosing another amp to match.
2017-06-08, 02:35
(2017-06-07 12:27)JPO2005 Wrote:  I do not believe that the Sara designed for bad signal sources like Naim.

Hi,

Linn amps were not even in the picture when the Sara was first released to market (1979). First Linn amp (LK2) was released in mid 1986. Naim and Linn had an almost symbiotic marriage type relationship back then.

Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Dem Seminar" Alumni
Main: AK-0/ADS-0/2250/AV5125/AV5140s/Rythmik Audio F12SE Sub/Furman Elite 15i PF Linear Filter
Cave: LP12/Ittok LV-II/Arkiv/Lingo/Sonos ZP90/PS Audio DL III DAC/Wakonda/LK140/Katans
Spares: 2250/Cyrus One/Rega Kytes
2017-06-08, 08:32
I know worked there

2017-06-08, 14:07
Stelya, one of the beauty's of the Saras musical purity is its simplicity. As I've said countless times before in this thread, if you want to hear the Sara perform at its very best ignore tube amps and the like and drive them with Naim 135's. It really doesn't get any better than this. The sheer exuberance and joy these speakers can create with the Naims in total, complete control has to be heard to be believed.
Nothing has changed in the intervening years to alter this fact.

The Sondek has become a far more transparent source in the meantime with better resolution and timing, and the Saras, will, like the Isobariks do here, make the most of it.
The result is music making of a very high degree. All thoughts of air and other hi fi red herrings will mean nothing. You will be transported to another place.

Beg, borrow or steal some Naim amplification and you will see what I mean.Big Grin

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-06-08, 17:28
Sorry so nonsense I have not heard very long. Recently, Active Isobark with 135 and Naim preamplifiers as well as LP12. Unfortunately this has nothing to do with music. I had the Isobarik for a long time after the Magnetpan and the Dayton Whright.

2017-06-08, 18:54 (This post was last modified: 2017-06-08 18:54 by Dr_Eddie.)
(2017-06-08 17:28)JPO2005 Wrote:  Sorry so nonsense I have not heard very long. Recently, Active Isobark with 135 and Naim preamplifiers as well as LP12. Unfortunately this has nothing to do with music. I had the Isobarik for a long time after the Magnetpan and the Dayton Whright.

Jom, you are entitled to your opinion, but like mine that is all it is, an opinion. My experiences are obviously very different to yours over the last 40 years.

TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com