Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-08-28, 14:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Difference ALAC vs. FLAC

Difference ALAC vs. FLAC
2008-11-23, 09:51
Difference ALAC vs. FLAC
Hello,

for me it is a great Advantage that Linn Supports ALAC, but what is better FLAC or ALAC?
Can someone hear a difference?

I have made a first Test with a XRCD "Best of Audiophile Voices II" and for me sounds identically. The differnce to a MP3-320kps is very high.

Next I make some tests wirth some Diana Krall and Michael Buble CDs.

Yours Thomas
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2008-11-23, 15:31
RE: Difference ALAC vs. FLAC
Hi,
Flac is the best format, the difference: is open source (security for your music)!

Cool

ThomasB Wrote:Hello,

for me it is a great Advantage that Linn Supports ALAC, but what is better FLAC or ALAC?

I have made a first Test with a XRCD "Best of Audiophile Voices II" and for me sounds identically. The differnce to a MP3-320kps is very high.

Yours Thomas
2008-11-23, 19:07
They're both lossless, so both supply identical data on decoding.

Yours Thomas

Akurate DS, Unidisk SC, Pekin, Kinos DSP, Akurate 212 aktiv, Majik 112 aktiv, Majik 3100, Katans, AV5125s, Audyssey MultiEQ Pro, AKG K701, Sony MDR SA5000, Graham Slee Solo
2008-11-24, 11:59 (This post was last modified: 2008-11-24 12:40 by MattC.)
dlorde Wrote:They're both lossless, so both supply identical data on decoding.

...but is there not more to it than that? ...I think that comparing the sound of the formats is only half the discussion...as both are lossless in terms of their storage, then the debate moves on to the method used to extract the data.

Most people who use ALAC would use iTunes to rip and manage - and i have to confess that appeals - but the reason i have been using flac to date is that in EAC (and one or two other ripping tools) you have absolute certainty that you get every single bit and byte from the disc, and there is a comprehensive series of settings and configurations options to ensure that it is optimised. This optimisation for high quality extraction is not (...that i am aware of...) present in iTunes.

...if somebody tells me that iTunes is natively capable of extracting everything from the disc, then i will switch to use ALAC, because while i accept the arguments that its a proprietory format (and thus owned by "the man" with the risks that that entails) i can easilly convert them all my ALAC files to FLAC without any loss of quality if "the man" starts to abuse his position...

Source: Klimax DS/1, Sneaky DS, Denon DVD-A1UD

Control: Klimax Kontrol/1, Denon AVP-A1HDA

Playback: Klimax Solo/1, Klimax 350P, Klimax 340A, Custom 2K 106C, Monitor Audio GXFX, Denon POA-A1HD
2008-11-24, 13:39
Hello ThomasB

My post from a few weeks back might be of interest...

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=1041

Regards
Gilad

Yours Thomas
2008-11-24, 20:46 (This post was last modified: 2008-11-24 20:46 by dlorde.)
MattC Wrote:
dlorde Wrote:They're both lossless, so both supply identical data on decoding.
...but is there not more to it than that? ...I think that comparing the sound of the formats is only half the discussion...as both are lossless in terms of their storage, then the debate moves on to the method used to extract the data.
A valid point - the format itself makes no difference, given identical input data. Of course, Garbage In, Garbage Out applies, so a poor ripper will give poor results on either. OTOH if you were to convert one format to the other and compare them on decoding, the output would be identically good or bad.

Akurate DS, Unidisk SC, Pekin, Kinos DSP, Akurate 212 aktiv, Majik 112 aktiv, Majik 3100, Katans, AV5125s, Audyssey MultiEQ Pro, AKG K701, Sony MDR SA5000, Graham Slee Solo
2008-11-27, 09:24
I made the ripping with max on my mac.
I donĀ“t know if iTunes is not so good in ripping, but I want to have the same prerequisite.

Yours Thomas
2008-12-13, 15:00
'They're both lossless, so both supply identical data on decoding.'

This is patently not true and has not yet been proven.

The mistaken analogy most make is to compare audio compression to data compression. The former is much less straightforward and much more complex.

And for professionals to push this received wisdom is misleading at best.
2008-12-13, 16:41 (This post was last modified: 2008-12-13 16:44 by mickc.)
manicm Wrote:'They're both lossless, so both supply identical data on decoding.'

This is patently not true and has not yet been proven.

But it would be an easy job to prove one way or another. Compress the same .WAV file with both ALAC and FLAC, then decompress and then use a binary diff program of some sort to see if they are identical or not. If they're both lossless they surely must 'supply identical data on decoding' which is easily measurable - if they don't, one or both isn't truly lossless.

Source 1:- LP12-Radikal-Keel-Ekos II-Akiva-Urika
Source 2:- KDS/1-iPad Air-Kinsky-Asset
System:- KK/1/D-KCT/D-Espeks
2008-12-13, 21:18
Quote:This is patently not true and has not yet been proven.

If you mean that every possible combination has yet to be tested on lossless codecs (such as FLAC) then yes not every combination has been tested, but of the millions of files which have been compressed to FLAC not one has failed because of an error in the mathamatical routine (FLAC internally contains an md5 hash of the data going in, so can detect at the end of decoding if there was an error). Plenty have failed because of HDD errors, but never the FLAC format (latest versions). For me that says FLAC is lossless,

spoon www.dbpoweramp.com