Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-24, 07:16 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / Building a turntable shelf.

Building a turntable shelf.
2011-07-29, 14:29
Building a turntable shelf.
I don't really like any of the shelves I've seen so was thinking of getting a friend to build me one.

What sort of material would be best: steel, aluminium, carbon fibre?

I'm guessing it must be rigid and light. Any other properties I should be thinking about? rather than having a flat surface, I was thinking of having four circular areas for the feet to sit on. Another idea I had was to make it possible to slide a hollowed out wooden shelf over it to make it look nice. The shelf would slide over a separate mount so that it doesn't touch the actual turntable support, and would have four holes for the feet to go through.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.

LP12 (T2 Cirkus Ekos2 Lingo Linto Klyde) Renew DS AK(D) M6100(D) Aktiv109s
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-07-29, 16:09
RE: Building a turntable shelf.
(2011-07-29 14:29)Irri Wrote:  I don't really like any of the shelves I've seen so was thinking of getting a friend to build me one.

What sort of material would be best: steel, aluminium, carbon fibre?

I'm guessing it must be rigid and light. Any other properties I should be thinking about? rather than having a flat surface, I was thinking of having four circular areas for the feet to sit on. Another idea I had was to make it possible to slide a hollowed out wooden shelf over it to make it look nice. The shelf would slide over a separate mount so that it doesn't touch the actual turntable support, and would have four holes for the feet to go through.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.

Do you just not like the looks of turntable stands...or do you not like how they sound?

There are threads located in this forum and a thread in the Lejonklou forum addressing various turntable stands. ThomasOK has information on building a Quadraspire turntable stand, if that would be of interest to you...good luckCool
2011-07-29, 16:21
Very good question Irri. The ones on the market (or have been) are all rubbish, look ugly and have major design flaws. I half designed one a year ago, but never finished it...probably pick it up again. Yes, I was thinking on a similar basis i.e. no base, just four feet. I would have thought a titanium or carbon fibre structure would be best.
2011-07-29, 17:01
(2011-07-29 16:09)Tony Tune-age Wrote:  Do you just not like the looks of turntable stands...or do you not like how they sound?

The look. I haven't really compared the sound of any. I was referring to a shelf rather than a stand.

(2011-07-29 16:21)Count.d Wrote:  Very good question Irri. The ones on the market (or have been) are all rubbish, look ugly and have major design flaws. I half designed one a year ago, but never finished it...probably pick it up again. Yes, I was thinking on a similar basis i.e. no base, just four feet. I would have thought a titanium or carbon fibre structure would be best.

Wouldn't titanium be a little expensive?

2011-07-29, 17:30
If you're looking for a clean design then what about making your own floating wall shelf. It would need to be a lot more solid and deeper than the ones you find in DIY stores (see below), but 'might' be possible with some monster fixings and solid chunk of wood.

[Image: Varnished_Walnut_floating_shelf.JPG]
2011-07-29, 17:35
(2011-07-29 16:21)Count.d Wrote:  Very good question Irri. The ones on the market (or have been) are all rubbish, look ugly and have major design flaws. I half designed one a year ago, but never finished it...probably pick it up again. Yes, I was thinking on a similar basis i.e. no base, just four feet. I would have thought a titanium or carbon fibre structure would be best.

[/quote]

It's all relative to the cost one has paid for the deck. Lp12/Keel/Aro/Radikal/etc is not cheap.
2011-07-29, 17:40
(2011-07-29 17:30)charlie1 Wrote:  If you're looking for a clean design then what about making your own floating wall shelf. It would need to be a lot more solid and deeper than the ones you find in DIY stores (see below), but 'might' be possible with some monster fixings and solid chunk of wood.

Isn't a large chunk of wood bad for sound with a turntable? My idea was to have a floating shelf (similar to the one in your picture), but for it to be hollow with a light weight metal shelf inside. So it would look like the one in the picture, but have four small holes in the top which you wouldn't be able to see with the deck in place.

(2011-07-29 17:35)Count.d Wrote:  It's all relative to the cost one has paid for the deck. Lp12/Keel/Aro/Radikal/etc is not cheap.

I'll see what the cost would be, but I'm guessing it would be more than I'm prepared to pay.

2011-07-29, 18:42
Well, no doubt there will a turntable shelf which meets your criteria...Cool

Enjoy...
2011-07-31, 00:34
The most important design feature of any turntable wall shelf is to decouple it from the wall, so that no vibrations in the wall can affect the deck. Since many people on this Forum have stated that the best sounding shelf for an LP12 was made by an Italian company called Audiotech, looking at that design would be a good place to start. I would imagine it is fabricated from Square section steel tubing and using a plate glass shelf , with a means of levelling the glass on adjustable pads aka the Mana table or NAIM Fraim.

You must have an absolutely bulletproof way of fixing this to the wall so no leverage is imposed on the fixings and it should be an outside wall too.

Best of luck with the project.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2011-07-31, 01:31
(2011-07-29 17:35)Count.d Wrote:  

It's all relative to the cost one has paid for the deck. Lp12/Keel/Aro/Radikal/etc is not cheap.
[/quote]Count,
Any pictures of the design you starred?
I have a three legged borron one being built at the mo by a very famous fishing rod builder.
The carbon one was shite.
He builds everything to stress bend,
Its a new way of thinking for him,
He has made me a few nice blocks for my target wall shelves,
And a couple to replace the glass on my system racks.
Its a work in progress though.
Mud