Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-09-02, 10:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Music v / Listening to the 'Harvest' Studio Master with Neil Young

Listening to the 'Harvest' Studio Master with Neil Young
2011-08-08, 16:56
Listening to the 'Harvest' Studio Master with Neil Young
I just wanted to share my thoughts with everyone after my wholly unexpected but fascinating trip to meet Neil Young at his Broken Arrow ranch in California.

http://blogs.linn.co.uk/giladt/2011/08/l...-young.php

Thoughts and feedback welcome, as always.

Regards,
Gilad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-08-08, 17:18
RE: Listening to the 'Harvest' Studio Master with Neil Young
Has he been able to hear what Linn can do with his studio masters?

Some roads are made for sports cars.

Very nice write up. Thanks.

Not much
2011-08-08, 17:20
Great read Gilad. I worry that the current prices for studio masters, 14-20+ pounds, is going to increase piracy and put people off.
Then again, I've already posted similar in your 'industry set to embrace studio master ' thread.
Ozzzy

Linn- Majik DS-D, Lejonklou Sagatun stereo pre amp, Lejonklou Tundra stereo power amplifier, Linn Majik 109's/Totem kinSUB. Silvers. K400.Russ Andrews oak cone feet and torlyte rack.
2011-08-08, 17:56
Well done GiladSmile That must've been a cool ride.

Harvest is one of my favourite Neil Young albums. And ever since I managed to rip the 192/24 version off my DVD-A (which had been sitting unused in the shelf for years – talk about doomed closed formats..), it's been my favourite hi-res Album.

We did a demo with Heart of Gold, comparing 192/24 vs. CD rip on a DS (can't remember which, not that it had mattered) during last year's Munich High End Show. Results were pretty obvious, though I'm not sure how much of the differences were down to different mastering (as opposed to the actual resolution of the files).

Were the files you listened to taken from the same master?

Cheers,
Bernhard
2011-08-08, 18:23
This is fantastic! Now let's get Radiohead up to Glasgow to hear their 24bit release on a Klimax Aktiv system. The difference in the sound quality between their 16bit and 24bit of "The Kings of Limbs" is incredible. Sounds that I thought were electronically created turned out to be acoustically created. I only realized this after hearing the 24bit on an Akurate DS.

Now it's time to go to work on getting some of the other current big acts, such as the Fleetfoxes, The Black Keys, Bon Iver and The Walkmen, to name a few, to embrace 24bit sales.

Devin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-08-08, 19:13
What's a Buick Eldorado? A Cadillac, maybe?

Or was it a Buick Riviera?

Afromosia LP12+Lingo I, Ittok LVII, Linto, Acer Aspire One+Musical Fidelity V-Link+TeraDak U9 power supply+Numerik, Kudos, Kairn 3, 2xLK280+Spark, K600, Kabers+Ninka tweeters.
2011-08-08, 19:20
Interesting read, ok stupid question, but is the 24 bit version available to purchase or download, I can't find it.... Only a DVDA for about 85 quid !!
Shouldn't NY put his money where his mouth is, and put the studio masters on Linnrecords Wink OR was that the real reason for the visit ? Cool
2011-08-08, 19:23
(2011-08-08 19:20)9designs Wrote:  Interesting read, ok stupid question, but is the 24 bit version available to purchase or download, I can't find it.... Only a DVDA for about 85 quid !!
Shouldn't NY put his money where his mouth is, and put the studio masters on Linnrecords Wink OR was that the real reason for the visit ? Cool

It's dependent on who owns the distributions rights. It's most likely not Neil Young as is with most artist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-08-08, 19:40
Gilad, I am very jealous! Too cool.

I would tell NY about listening to NYA Vol. 1 or Le Noise or a Treasure on my DSes. And I would tell him about how painful it was to get the 24 bit audio from the Blu Ray to my NAS. At least he seems to care. Hope he's persuasive.
2011-08-08, 21:03
Very cool!

Ikemi .Exotic . Majik 140 M4100+C5100+Dynamik+Aktiv Linn Sondek LP12,Lingo2,Cirkus,BASIK PLUS ,Adikt . Nakamichi 581 . Yamaha HTR 6090 surrounds Magnepan 2.5/r . back surrounds Keilidhs.subs , Rel T-1 . PSB Subsonic 8.Cambridge Audio DVD89 . Sony PS3 . BENQ W1070 Tannoy Revolution rc center