Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-26, 18:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Tone Audio gets an LP-12

Thread Closed 
Tone Audio gets an LP-12
2011-09-17, 19:00
Tone Audio gets an LP-12
http://www.tonepublications.com/analogah...2-arrives/

Paul
Find all posts by this user
2011-09-17, 19:34
RE: Tone Audio gets an LP-12
I hope he didn't used it as on the pic with the hinges in place without the lid.
A little strange to say that the Shure V15 mated well with the Ekos when the LP12 had an Ittok.
Haven't tried a Shure on the LP12 but according to the spec it should not be a very good match..........
Ok, ok, shouldn't be too picky, all in all he gave it a good review but he should obviously try a full spec LP12 and than compare it to the VPI and Rega tables.

-LP12/Keel/Radikal D/Ekos SE Mogami/sKale/Benz LP
-LP12/Keel/Armageddon/Ekos 2/Benz Ruby 2
-ReVox B77
-Audio Research SP-11 NOS Telefunken E88CC/Mark Levinson No. 27.5
-Spare pre: Audio Research SP-6B with NOS Telefunken ECC803S
-ProAc Response 3.8
2011-10-09, 21:55
(2011-09-17 19:00)orthobiz Wrote:  http://www.tonepublications.com/analogah...2-arrives/

Although it's a decent review overall, he seems to think all of the Sondek upgrades are either too confusing or too many for the average turntable owner.
2011-10-10, 01:23
Hardly a "review". Not sure what the point of the article was, other than a plug for the store he bought it from.

Keith
LP12, Hercules, Ekos, Argo i, HDX, NAC252, SC, NAP250, Aerial 5B
Exiled in the USA!
2012-07-28, 02:56
Looks like there may be a project brewing...

http://www.tonepublications.com/analogah...the-lp-12/

Paul
2012-07-29, 04:45 (This post was last modified: 2012-07-29 04:47 by tonepub.)
Actually, just to make things clear, that was just a blog post, not a review by any stretch of the imagination. What I'd love to learn more from this forum is the finer points of the LP-12, I am not terribly well versed in this table, have always been a Rega or Oracle guy - and more recent a disciple of AVID. I also just picked up that fairly early, somewhat beat up LP-12 that I'd like to try some of the funk firm mods on.

The reason the one in the photo was shot sans dust cover was the one that came with the deck was cracked and I am waiting for a new one to arrive.

The "point" of the blog post was to say that I found a very clean LP-12 at a friends shop and decided to explore that path.

Hopefully it will be fun. More than welcome to your your suggestions as to where to go. Is there a segment on this forum with cartridge selections? I'd love to hear what you have all found to be great performers. Honestly that V15mxVr that I had lying around sounds pretty good, with proper loading and capacitance settings.
2012-07-29, 10:55
hi tp
welcome to the forum

there is a great setup guide to the lp12 in the sticky section of this forum...some great advice there if you are going to set up the lp12 yourself
ideally a good linn dealer would be able to point out any problems or wear etc...but things like the oil/belt and springs and grommets are the items that are changed the most

if its the ittok you will be using on the deck...set the vtf and anti skat to zero and check the arm floats up and down and left and right with no stickyness

as for cartridges just about any cart will work fine with the ittoks mid effective mass ...and a good quaility MC like the lyra or benz will give excellent results (ive never heard the v15 on a ittok)

hope that helps
best wishes
j7

Check out my Facebook page
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-07-29, 11:27
(2012-07-29 04:45)tonepub Wrote:  Actually, just to make things clear, that was just a blog post, not a review by any stretch of the imagination. What I'd love to learn more from this forum is the finer points of the LP-12, I am not terribly well versed in this table, have always been a Rega or Oracle guy - and more recent a disciple of AVID. I also just picked up that fairly early, somewhat beat up LP-12 that I'd like to try some of the funk firm mods on.

The reason the one in the photo was shot sans dust cover was the one that came with the deck was cracked and I am waiting for a new one to arrive.

The "point" of the blog post was to say that I found a very clean LP-12 at a friends shop and decided to explore that path.

Hopefully it will be fun. More than welcome to your your suggestions as to where to go. Is there a segment on this forum with cartridge selections? I'd love to hear what you have all found to be great performers. Honestly that V15mxVr that I had lying around sounds pretty good, with proper loading and capacitance settings.

welcome aboard JeffCool
enjoy your Sondek and the forthcoming upgrade path

LP12 bubinga Harban/Cymbiosis n°15, Ekos SE, Keel, Khan, sKale, XV-1s, Urika/Chord sarum/ Radikal, Conrad Johnson GAT+LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa, Yter and Furutech cables
2012-07-29, 19:07
Thanks for the advice gentlemen.... I have been thinking about pairing the Lyra Kleos with the LP-12 and giving that a go! I'd like to leave this one all stock in terms of Linn parts and upgrades and use the other one to try third party ones - sort of a "control" group and an "experimental group." That way, we can run identical carts on both tables and easily compare them back and forth.
Thread Closed