Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-16, 05:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Info / Forum and Web v / The New Linn website

The New Linn website
2011-10-11, 18:26
RE: The New Linn website
Hi

Another site observation:

I'm a little surprised at the obfuscation of the Linn records search page. When you select 'Music' on the main Linn site, you should then be presented with a very obvious link to the Linn Records home page (or even be presented with a search field to find and buy stuff), but it seems you have to scroll down to the section titled 'Studio Master' then spot the link (buried in the middle of some text) to Linn Records. Okay, it is there, but I think it would be better to make it a tad more obvious such that new visitors actually see it.

Hope that helps
Bri Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-10-11, 18:31 (This post was last modified: 2011-10-11 18:48 by Mr Onion.)
(2011-10-11 17:41)eamonnb Wrote:  
(2011-10-11 17:25)Mr Onion Wrote:  Do LINN still make the LP12???

Looking at the site you would think not. Well, put it this way, I cant find a link to it.

http://www.linn.co.uk/buying/products/lp12

IMHO it needs to be made more obvious. One link labelled 'Products' showing all that LINN make.

PS I asked SWMBO to find the LP12 on the site.

She failed as well Sad

Other forums are available:- http://hifikabin.me.uk
2011-10-11, 19:46
Well, on my regular laptop, the background is just annoying - I'd prefer the space it occupies to be used productively, giving the forums a bigger image for example.

But on my net book, I don't see the sides of the background, but then I have to scroll right because the forums are now wider than my screen!

Willing to be convinced, and the old site was less than perfect, but this doesn't do it for me. Sad

<exit grumpy old git mode>
2011-10-11, 20:27
Well, it looks nice, but, as mentioned before, a bit slower...

And were are the product ranges, or is the only choise 'systems' and 'DS'????????
2011-10-11, 21:06
(2011-10-11 18:31)Mr Onion Wrote:  
(2011-10-11 17:41)eamonnb Wrote:  
(2011-10-11 17:25)Mr Onion Wrote:  Do LINN still make the LP12???

Looking at the site you would think not. Well, put it this way, I cant find a link to it.

http://www.linn.co.uk/buying/products/lp12

IMHO it needs to be made more obvious. One link labelled 'Products' showing all that LINN make.

PS I asked SWMBO to find the LP12 on the site.

She failed as well Sad

Don't worry - the LP12 will be getting the same treatment as the DS a la http://www.linn.co.uk/systems/ds
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-10-11, 21:07
(2011-10-11 20:27)geletaxi Wrote:  Well, it looks nice, but, as mentioned before, a bit slower...

And were are the product ranges, or is the only choise 'systems' and 'DS'????????

All the existing products are within the Product Info section: http://www.linn.co.uk/buying/products
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-10-11, 21:09
In my opinion the site has many nice features but is a also a little over designed. In general it is to complicated to navigate on the site, the typography is too big and it has too many rows and collums.

Two things annoys me in particular:
1) I spend a lot of time scrolling - even on entrance pages. It goes both for an iMac 24" and an iPad.
2) The menus doesn't work on an iPad. Am I the only one who surfs the Linn site while controlling my DS?
2011-10-11, 21:09
(2011-10-11 19:46)David Neel Wrote:  Well, on my regular laptop, the background is just annoying - I'd prefer the space it occupies to be used productively, giving the forums a bigger image for example.

But on my net book, I don't see the sides of the background, but then I have to scroll right because the forums are now wider than my screen!

Willing to be convinced, and the old site was less than perfect, but this doesn't do it for me. Sad

<exit grumpy old git mode>

Hi David,

Actually, the forums fill the same amount of screen real-estate as they always have, 85% of the browser width as it happens.

We have limited the minimum width though, in order to accommodate the new top menu—enabling you to jump around the site easily—it is this that may be causing you bother on your netbook. What resolution is that out of interest?

I will shortly be releasing an optional forum theme that will allow more flexibility on the minimum width for users such as your self. Hopefully that will help.

Jim
2011-10-11, 21:11
(2011-10-11 21:09)duchamp Wrote:  In my opinion the site has many nice features but is a also a little over designed. In general it is to complicated to navigate on the site, the typography is too big and it has too many rows and collums.

Two things annoys me in particular:
1) I spend a lot of time scrolling - even on entrance pages. It goes both for an iMac 24" and an iPad.
2) The menus doesn't work on an iPad. Am I the only one who surfs the Linn site while controlling my DS?

Hi Duchamp,

You will be glad to know we will be releasing an update for the iPad menu system shortly.

Thanks for your feedback!

Jim
2011-10-11, 22:55 (This post was last modified: 2011-10-11 22:57 by Eeyore.)
(2011-10-11 21:09)Jim C Wrote:  What resolution is that out of interest?

Jim,
Thanks for the quick response - very pleasantly surprised as it's long after hours! And impressed there is a fix on the way.

1024 x 600 - I'd rather be able to see full width forum, and scroll on the menus when/if needed.
David