Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-24, 09:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Info / Forum and Web v / The New Linn website

The New Linn website
2011-11-19, 10:39 (This post was last modified: 2011-11-19 10:40 by grahamd.)
RE: The New Linn website
(2011-11-19 10:28)linnrd Wrote:  Do you reckon that having to actually explain this to people in response to several comments about this might be an indicator that this representation isn't quite getting across? And while the point has been raised, I am unsure of how many viewers would "get" what the other pictures "represent". While the idea and thinking behind the new site do have some merit, does this translate to a better navigation/useful experience to the visitor in search of information and who is not privy to the current philosophical bent of this website? Perhaps in continuing with your analogy, it would be fair to state that while the pictures are meant to resonate with the idea, perhaps the resonance frequency chosen may need to be slightly tweaked. Smile

This is not just the current philosophical bent of the website, it is and has always been the philosophical bent of Linn.

Graham
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-11-19, 10:49 (This post was last modified: 2014-02-25 11:51 by linnrd.)
⠃⠽⠑ ⠈⠇⠇

Computer->non-regurgitated Seafood->[in flux]->Horny plastic things
2011-11-19, 12:11
(2011-11-19 10:14)grahamd Wrote:  They resonate with the idea that it is music that is important rather than particular items of hifi equipment. The feeling is that the more people understand the value of music in their lives the more successful Linn will be. The shower guy represents singing in the shower like it's your own personal 'studio'.

Graham
Hi Graham,
Thanks for the explanation; now I see it. If that is what it means, I like it.

I feel it is not my place to offer feedback as to the execution of a concept, unless specifically asked.

I will say this off beat approach is defiantly in line with Linn, both historically and today. I sure all of you know better than me multiple examples of how Linn did things completely differently than the rest of the industry, despite the comments of critics.

As long as Linn continues to provide the products and service I've come to expect; I don't care what the website looks like.

Dave

Primary: Karik -> Numerik -> Kairn -> LK100 x 3 -> Tri-Aktiv Keilidh's
Secondary: Karik -> Majik -> LK100 x 2 -> Aktiv Keilidh's
2011-11-24, 19:06
I like the new website, makes me feel nostalgic about mix tapes and makes me want to dig out my copy of Paul's Boutique, on vinyl of course.
2011-11-25, 03:47
Penguin has made some solid remarks about the new site. As it is a "work in progress", it is hoped that these constructive comments will help to revise/develop the site further. Opening photos are intriguing, the only one that resonates (to me) is the close up of the violin: it represents what Linn offers: pure music, natural sound, terrific articulation in a classical design based on simplicity and perfection. The rest, well I see their connotations/implications, however I think you've missed your actual buyers and fans with them. Yes, music a a part of all of life, as Linn suggests: but there are limits. I most often listen to music Sunday afternoons during colder weather while I am cooking, and I am sure there are many more Linn owners who do the same; while fewer actually blast their music while they are in the shower!

The archive of manuals, photos and information is an extremely important feature, for Linn equipment, for the most part, has a long shelf-life and pieces regularly are sold and resold several times over (see how many people on the forums upgrade via new and used). This reselling often happens without manuals. Many Linn-ites start the game with older, used equipment, and then, as they have more income, begin to purchase new. It would be nice to have access to the older, timeless equipment: it is not like we are asking for you to keep a statistics and features page on an old Victrola from 1922, or something like that.

Navigating the systems seems odd in every respect. Before we could access via a system or via a particular component and their get a lot of information (owner's manuals, etc.): a cross-referencing along those lines again would be helpful.

Anywho, for all my quibblings, it looks very promising as a "work in progress"; mind you James Joyce's Finnegans Wake was known as "Work in progress" for a number of years, and look what happened (or didn't happen) to it!

Victrola 1922 Floor model.
2011-11-25, 04:25
I will not buy this record,it is scratched.
I like the look but wish one page could be devoted to all categories of equipment.

Ikemi .Exotic . Majik 140 M4100+C5100+Dynamik+Aktiv Linn Sondek LP12,Lingo2,Cirkus,BASIK PLUS ,Adikt . Nakamichi 581 . Yamaha HTR 6090 surrounds Magnepan 2.5/r . back surrounds Keilidhs.subs , Rel T-1 . PSB Subsonic 8.Cambridge Audio DVD89 . Sony PS3 . BENQ W1070 Tannoy Revolution rc center
2011-11-25, 10:39
(2011-11-25 03:47)Eldarboy Wrote:  while fewer actually blast their music while they are in the shower!

That image, as explained above, is about singing in the shower, not listening in the shower.

Graham
2011-11-25, 16:31
Grahamd: Yes, that I recall, but is Linn not a company that enables listening to music? We don't need a Linn system to sing in the shower. Cheers, with a nudge and a wink!

Victrola 1922 Floor model.
2011-11-25, 18:15 (This post was last modified: 2011-11-25 18:22 by grahamd.)
(2011-11-25 16:31)Eldarboy Wrote:  Grahamd: Yes, that I recall, but is Linn not a company that enables listening to music? We don't need a Linn system to sing in the shower. Cheers, with a nudge and a wink!
You still seem to be missing the point. The images are not about showing use of a Linn system; they are about reflecting the importance of music in a person's life.

You may feel that merely establishing the importance of music in a person's life is not in itself beneficial to Linn, but we would have to disagree. Promoting a life-long engagement with music is a core value that even precedes the making and selling of any product.

Graham
2011-11-26, 00:17
Graham - I guess the problem is one of whether the majority of people interpret these images as being about "...reflecting the importance of music in a person's life." or as statements of what Linn have to offer.

If most (or even a significant minority) interpret them differently than intended, the no matter what the original intention was, the images should be revised, either by changing some of the images in the sideshow for others, or by adding overlay text saying something about how they represent music in people's lives or something similar. Otherwise, you will be missing the original design intent for many visitors.

Personally, I quite like them and get what they're about, but clearly not everyone does, and IMHO it would be worth checking with people outside of the design team what their impressions are.