Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-18, 20:02 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / Michell Gyrodec, Avid DIva II SP, Rokasan Radius or Linn Mjik LP12??

Michell Gyrodec, Avid DIva II SP, Rokasan Radius or Linn Mjik LP12??
2011-10-31, 19:02
Smile Michell Gyrodec, Avid DIva II SP, Rokasan Radius or Linn Mjik LP12??
By asking this question on a Linn forum, you could tell me that I already have my answer!
But If I find a Linn felon on this forum, it means that the turntable must be great, given the risk he's taking!

I'm ready to upgrade my TT. My system is a majik system (DS, majik I and 140s) and a rega P3/24 TTPSU TT with an exact cartridge.

I have listen to both the Roksan and the Michell and been quite impressed by their respective performances (detailed, dynamik, good precision of the mediums...) with a litlle preference for the Michell TT.

But there are other competitors on the list, like Avid and the famous LP12 (I've never listened to an LP12!!), in its majik version.

I want to invest in a TT that I will keep on the long run, easy to set up and that I can fit with a vast range of cartridge and arms.

What would be your advices between those turntables (all in the range of £2000 to £3000).

Thanks!
PS:I know, the first thing I must do is to listen to an LP12!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-10-31, 19:47 (This post was last modified: 2011-10-31 19:50 by John R..)
RE: Michell Gyrodec, Avid DIva II SP, Rokasan Radius or Linn Mjik LP12??
You have drawn up a shortlist of very different turntables both in their looks but perhaps more importantly in their musical presentation.

The only real way of making an informed decision is to listen to each turntable for a reasonable period of time - in you own system, in your own room, without the "noise" of anyone else giving their "two peneth". By all means, take advice and opinons at face value and balance them with what your ears tell you.

Not easy to do I agree, but it's never going to be an easy choice as there is no TT on this Earth to suit everyone. You have to be sure it's right for you!

John R.

"Sole" trader.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-11-01, 04:11 (This post was last modified: 2011-11-01 04:12 by Linnism.)
The LP12 is more susceptible to differences in set up than most other turntables, so it's worth being picky where you go to audition/buy.
2011-11-01, 14:26
Hi

Of all you mentioned the LP12 is obviously my favourite. Within your budget you should just about be able to fit a Roksan Xerxes 20+ with Rega tonearm and XPS7 power supply though, not the entry Radius. the 20+ is a different sound to the Linn but still bloody good IMO.

IMO, get the aboslute best base you can build on long term. Forget the Avid and Radius...

Regards, HM

Strathklyde Sondek [by Cymbiosis] Big Grin
Sennheiser HD800 cans
Everythin' else is from Salisbury baby Wink
2011-11-01, 16:36
Lots of good suggestions here, just don't be in a hurry.
2011-11-01, 16:47
if you don't like the LP12, then my next port of call would be a Nottingham, when my Ekos dies, that's what I am getting, (as I can't afford an Ekos SE and don't want to down grade to an Akito/Rega)

Preferably with a Hadcock tonearm

Lp12:Ekos2:Lingo2:Clavis DC:Linto:Ikemi:Kudos
Prima Luna Prologue2:Rogers LS5/9
Nordost and Townshend cabling and all on Mana
2011-11-06, 04:21
With a budget of £3k you should definitely get a home dem of a Well Tempered Amadeus. It doesn't fit your criterion of being a platform for a wide range of arms, but it's so musical that you aren't going to care about that. Get a used one for a grand and stick an Akiva or a Dynavector on it and you can forget about expensive upgrades for a long while.
2011-11-06, 14:18
(2011-11-06 04:21)sonddek Wrote:  With a budget of £3k you should definitely get a home dem of a Well Tempered Amadeus.

I was waiting for that Sonddek! Wink Good advice though.

If you're looking at the used market I'd always suggest tracking down some variant of the Townshend Rock. Like the WTA they're uncomplicated devices that produce remarkable results.

Out of the OP's original suggestions, I'd discount the Diva and the Radius. The Gyrodec is excellent though.

Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
2011-11-06, 19:32 (This post was last modified: 2011-11-06 19:36 by Cymbiosis.)
(2011-11-01 16:47)Linto Wrote:  if you don't like the LP12, then my next port of call would be a Nottingham, when my Ekos dies, that's what I am getting, (as I can't afford an Ekos SE and don't want to down grade to an Akito/Rega)

Preferably with a Hadcock tonearm

Oh please! Don't do that........Sad

"When my Ekos dies".... No it won't, but any problems which might possibly arise in future could be looked after by HQ anyway. Or in the very unlikely event that wasn't possible, I guarantee J7 of AO could step in to help.

Anyway, the point you make about the huge gap in the range between the cost of an Akito and Ekos Se has not gone un-noticed, and you may be aware that I and others have raised it several times with HQ, so let's see what happens...................

Regarding arms... I'm looking, and me now stocking the Nima, as HM pointed out on another thread. Is a result of the need for me to find something low cost that really performs well against what is on offer second-hand for similar money.. i.e. used Ittoks, because there really aren't enough about ATM..... I wonder why?Rolleyes This will allow new LP12 owners to get on the ladder relatively cheaply and then they can upgrade their decks in due course when they are ready to do so and in manageable financial steps one hopes!

BTW Sonddek, we may even see a golf ball on an LP12 before too long!!!!!! I was discussing the possibility with John Burns of Pear Audio only last week! There are a few issues to iron out, but it "might" happen!

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 01162 623754
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
www.cymbiosis.com
2011-11-07, 02:32 (This post was last modified: 2011-11-07 02:48 by sonddek.)
(2011-11-06 19:32)Cymbiosis Wrote:  BTW Sonddek, we may even see a golf ball on an LP12 before too long!!!!!! I was discussing the possibility with John Burns of Pear Audio only last week! There are a few issues to iron out, but it "might" happen!

Interesting. I'ld also be curious about an Ekos on a Simplex. With the right mounting gear that ought to be feasible too.