Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-11-28, 09:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Music v / Keith Jarrett Recommendations

Keith Jarrett Recommendations
2011-11-14, 22:43 (This post was last modified: 2011-11-14 22:51 by Briain.)
RE: Keith Jarrett Recommendations
I can totally see where you're coming from with that assessment; it is actually a little 'mechanical' (hense my statement about it being good in a 'totally different sense') but I've always assumed that that's also a bit to do with that genre and trad harpsichord music. I tend to play it in the background to prevent me going totally postal when I'm working on thinking based stuff. That said, I'm not a major classical fan and I don't do thinking based stuff very often, so I normally tend to play stuff like The Grateful Dead, very loud reggae and even some punk rock when I'm working on things that instead require big hammers, spanners and napalm as part of their normal assembly proceedure. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-11-14, 23:02
My favourites are "Paris Concert" and "Standards".

Maybe it is time to listen once again to the other albums I have.
2011-11-15, 14:36
(2011-11-14 20:30)sofa Wrote:  
(2011-11-14 16:41)Briain Wrote:  I rather like the below harpsichord one.
[Image: 31T%2BPw1aCgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

I heard Jarrett's Goldberg Variations a few years ago and for me he did only play the notes and not the music. It was like he would be afraid of making something wrong or having too much respect of 'godfather' Bach.

I know this is definitely off-topic now, but for friends of harpsicord & Bach I have the following suggestion:

"Die Kunst der Fuge" played by Christian Rieger.

[Image: 415fAHn%2B%2B0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Very well recorded, very intensely played (IMHO).
2011-11-21, 22:50
Keith Jarrett Recommendations
Belonging. With Jan Garbarek on sax. Love that one!

KDSM - Solos - Akubarik/p
ADSM - KCT - A212 - A226
Kiko DSM
------------------------
Surplus to requirements: Akurate 2200
2011-11-21, 23:29
I forgot to say "Thanks" to everyone who responded on this. My Amazon wish list is now very full of Keith Jarrett!

Hopefully someone will indulge me for Christmas. If not, I suspect that I'll indulge myself! Smile
2011-11-22, 04:46
(2011-11-21 23:29)rowlandhills Wrote:  I forgot to say "Thanks" to everyone who responded on this. My Amazon wish list is now very full of Keith Jarrett!

Hopefully someone will indulge me for Christmas. If not, I suspect that I'll indulge myself! Smile

Hi! This is too much important to me not to respond.
rowlandhills, the first time I used a credit card on the internet was to purchase two tickets for a Keith Jarrett Trio concert. It was in Spain, and I had to travel from Lisbon, Portugal. At the time I never dreamed I could see them live in Portugal.

Anyway, my recommendation is to try first the Standards Trio. Easier to listen, and the occasional lengthy Keith improvisations, and his rhythmic-charged "songs", used as codas or starters for other tracks, are excellent introductions to other more personal solo albums.

From the Standards Trio, I recommend:

- Standards Live, 1985 live recording. The drum kit sounds amazingly musical, and piano tone is beautiful here. The introduction of the first tune, Stella by Starlight, could be the intro for a very personal KJ solo piece, but here is perfectly picked by the companions. "Too Young to Go Steady" is as perfect as a jazz trio performance can be. "The Way You Look Tonight" showcases Jack DeJohnette excellent drumming technique.

- Still Live, 1985 live recording: less praised by critics but one of my favorite. Some moments of it are only possible when the musicians share the same vision and communicate well. I don't know why but the piano sound has a more full taste here. There is a qualify of a "organic" sound that is not easy to experience in other piano recordings. Again, the start is a very personal KJ touch, to develop a intro line of "My Funny Valentine", but he succeeds. Maybe this is the record where the trio feels more relaxed and using a perfect sense of time. Gary Peacock is a master in the bass showing himself very well in this record. Each tune has a some special feature, like "Autumn Leaves" that develops beautifully into a very pulsation coda. But again, what strikes here is the mastering of time that and that is very apparent in the magnificent way most ballads are played. The start of "The Song is You" is brilliant and is one of Keith's trademarks, the build up he makes using a ostinato, and is beautifully transitioned here by his mates - magical! The second part of this music, starting at about the 9th music transforms itself to be a perfect trio playground, of sheer joy of improvisation. Play LOUD and have FUN! The it ends in a very delicate way, like if the big waves finally broke against a shore. The CD2 is particularly brilliant, and should be listened from start to finish as it captures the trio playing what is, for me, one the best selection of songs.

- Tribute, 1989. In this one, the Trio pays tribute to some of the most significant jazz artists. In this record, the stand-out is the way they give way to each other, the transitions and dialog inside each song. They create masterpieces just by listening to each other, and go with the flow. The second CD is simply more accomplished.

- Tokyo 96; "I Remember April" stands out for giving Jack the lead on opening. It develops beautifully, with a multiple use of chords, ostinatos and the usual rhythmic alchemy of the trio. Bluesy colors can be heard in "Last Nigh", and it forms a medley with "Caribbean Sky", for ending in a very optimistic note. And then you listen to a most exquisite version of "My Funny Valentine", also put into a medley with a KJ composition, "Song".

- The Out of Towners -after being ill for a long time, Keith returned using his physical resources more economically. And now, he needs his mates to ride with him and take more of the center stage. They are all "sideman", to each other. In this record, you can hear that new balance and a more focused KJ on the standards. Except for the big surprise, a big exploration of a group dynamics, that is the title song. The album ends with a KJ solo rendition of "It's All in the Game", using a very elegant melodic line.

From the Solo Albums, I think "La Scala" is particularly significant, for the brilliance of his play, and the emotions that are almost palpable. And because it is said to be the first ever non-classical concert to happen in the famous Opera house. "Vienna", thought, is just brilliant.

Have fun!
2011-11-22, 10:09
Thanks jazzmike. Will try some of those too.