Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-09-02, 10:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / Two Radikals,One for the motor,One the Urika

Two Radikals,One for the motor,One the Urika
2011-12-01, 20:12
RE: Two Radikals,One for the motor,One the Urika
(2011-12-01 19:29)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Why not fit TWO motors, if the second motor unit is raised above the position of the lower drive belt there is ample room on the inner platter to accomodate TWO belts.
That might cure Sondeks dynamic wow problem too.

Two motors and two belts should give you more noise as well....and we don't want that, do we Cool

-LP12/Keel/Radikal/Ekos SE/sKale/Benz LP
-LP12/Keel/Armageddon/Ekos 2/Benz Ruby 2
-Audio Research SP-11/Mark Levinson No. 27.5
-ProAc Response 3.8
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-12-01, 20:28 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-01 20:37 by ThomasOK.)
(2011-12-01 20:12)HBerg Wrote:  
(2011-12-01 19:29)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  Why not fit TWO motors, if the second motor unit is raised above the position of the lower drive belt there is ample room on the inner platter to accomodate TWO belts.
That might cure Sondeks dynamic wow problem too.

Two motors and two belts should give you more noise as well....and we don't want that, do we Cool

Besides, it could only work if the Sondek ACTUALLY HAD a dynamic wow problem!

To answer a couple of other questions, the Radikal is not sold separately from the motor - at least not normally. I don't know if Linn would be willing to separate the two for a special order but since there is no improvement it is kind of a moot point.

As to the poster who didn't get sound out of the Urika when trying it there is a simple solution. The Radikal power supply does not send power to the Urika until the motor is switched on. So to use two Radikal power supplies you need to plug the motor and the Urika into one, turn on the motor, then unplug the motor and plug it into the second Radikal PS and turn it on. The Urika will then remain powered up until you turn off the Radikal PS it is connected to by the power switch. This has the added benefit of allowing you to listen to your Beatles records while you hand spin them backwards!Wink

LP12 SE Movingui • Radikal/1 • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • Akurate DS • Klimax Kontrol/2 • ATC 100As • Harmoni Mimer Rack
AV system: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol/0/D • 2x LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • LK2-75 • 2 Dahlquist DQ1W subs

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s for over 35 years!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-12-01, 20:37 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-02 14:15 by Rille.)
One problem I discovered with two Radikals was, that I as a listener was overwhelmed. This made it impossible for me to listen to music in very relaxed way over a longer period. Something very important got lost, which is difficult to discribe.

I would suspect that one Radikal as a power supply for the Urika is propably oversized. Maybe two powersupplies will only work if the one for the Urika has the correct dimension.

A solution could be to add a second motor to the Radikal which is used for the Urika. Single purpose to consumpt the surplus power without any necessarity to be regulated.
2011-12-01, 20:47
FIrst you have to take your tongue out of your cheek, which is where mine was firmly pressed, as I take it is that of the original OP too.!!!!

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2011-12-01, 20:53
(2011-12-01 20:47)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  FIrst you have to take your tongue out of your cheek, which is where mine was firmly pressed, as I take it is that of the original OP too.!!!!

Too true, I do believe I missed the tone - I should know better.Sad

LP12 SE Movingui • Radikal/1 • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • Akurate DS • Klimax Kontrol/2 • ATC 100As • Harmoni Mimer Rack
AV system: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol/0/D • 2x LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • LK2-75 • 2 Dahlquist DQ1W subs

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s for over 35 years!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-12-01, 21:14 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-01 21:16 by Burglar Bill.)
(2011-12-01 20:47)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  FIrst you have to take your tongue out of your cheek, which is where mine was firmly pressed, as I take it is that of the original OP too.!!!!

In that case, I would like to propose a more elegant solution, which is to have two LP12s, with two copies of each record. Combining the outputs from the two turntables will create a stronger signal, with random noise from each at least partially cancelling that from the other. Of course, it will be necessary to ensure that the two records start playing at exactly the same time, but it should not be too hard to achieve that with a steady hand.

I propose calling this quadrostereophonic sound. Cool

I do like Thomas' Beatles comment, too.

System/370 model 168
2011-12-01, 21:18

Sorry Dr Eddie I am little bit confused because I don't understand the connection between your and my post.
2011-12-01, 21:48

Of course, doc, and I think you catched that my comment was a follow up to your joke......

-LP12/Keel/Radikal/Ekos SE/sKale/Benz LP
-LP12/Keel/Armageddon/Ekos 2/Benz Ruby 2
-Audio Research SP-11/Mark Levinson No. 27.5
-ProAc Response 3.8
2011-12-02, 02:36
(2011-12-01 21:18)Rille Wrote:  

Sorry Dr Eddie I am little bit confused because I don't understand the connection between your and my post.

The original post was started by Mud, I was referring to him.
He loves a wind up.............................................................Big Grin
Not having a go at you Rille, I kinda suspected you were onto it.Rolleyes

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2011-12-03, 15:49 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-03 15:52 by mudcrutch.)
This was not a wind up question??
Honeymonster and I spent a good 9 hours trying two Radicals.
One on the motor and one on the Urika when they first came out.
A
lot of time was spent on Radikal rack placement during that day..
Might as i said try again over the Christmas Hols if the HM is not to booked up with other stuff?
Ian at Billy V loves two.
Mud