Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-12-19, 09:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Music v / Mixtapes & Heartbreak

Mixtapes & Heartbreak
2011-12-07, 17:04
Mixtapes & Heartbreak
Hands up if you've ever made or received a mixtape.

http://blogs.linn.co.uk/music/oliver-how...tbreak.php

Would love to hear what, for some Linn Forum members, must be a colourful and eventful mixtape history...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-12-07, 18:00
RE: Mixtapes & Heartbreak
Interesting idea. trouble is were talking twenty odd years ago, so the track details are blurred to say the least.

At the beginning of a relationship, an ex of mine who was a Joni Mitchel nut, gave me two sides of a C90 full of stuff from her early albums and asked if I had any early Bowie.
I did two sides of his early stuff and gave it to her.
She said that there were a lot of comparables between the two tapes, in terms of style and emotional content.
I thought she was probably a bit stoned and went with the general ambiance as it inevitably gave way to total intoxication and erm, "cuddles". Wink

Not exactly mixtapes or romantic, but what do you expect from a bloke? Big Grin

Ingots and wood.
Find all posts by this user
2011-12-07, 18:09
I don't know, I had a tear in my eye Wink
2011-12-07, 18:38
I did quite a few for the lady who eventually became my wife.

We had only been going out for a couple of months, when she had to go into hospital for a planned operation and then for a long recuperation - we're talking 4-5 months here.

She wanted music of varying genres to help her through the inevitable ups and downs of post operative recovery. At the time, the only artist she seemed to listen to was Elton John. Even for a fan, there is only so much of that one can take.

I recall recording about 10 different tapes - yes a whole box of TDK's and driving them up to Stanmore Orthopaedic hospital. Some were compilations, some straight albums and some humourous ones.

If you're looking for sordid tales of seduction, then forget it - a large plaster cast is not condusive to anything of the sort!!

Source: LP12SE, KDS/1, Zoneripper Max, Spotify
Control: KK/1, iPad, Kinsky
Playback: Akubariks
2011-12-07, 18:43
Yes I remember..............but I'm not saying a word.

Not much
2011-12-07, 19:42
(2011-12-07 18:38)Visoflex Wrote:  I did quite a few for the lady who eventually became my wife.

We had only been going out for a couple of months, when she had to go into hospital for a planned operation and then for a long recuperation - we're talking 4-5 months here.

She wanted music of varying genres to help her through the inevitable ups and downs of post operative recovery. At the time, the only artist she seemed to listen to was Elton John. Even for a fan, there is only so much of that one can take.

I recall recording about 10 different tapes - yes a whole box of TDK's and driving them up to Stanmore Orthopaedic hospital. Some were compilations, some straight albums and some humourous ones.

If you're looking for sordid tales of seduction, then forget it - a large plaster cast is not condusive to anything of the sort!!

Magic Smile
Go on, name a few killer tracks you can remember (or recreate the mixtape in Spotify for your missus)
2011-12-07, 19:43
(2011-12-07 18:43)SaltyDog Wrote:  Yes I remember..............but I'm not saying a word.

I was touched.
2011-12-07, 20:47
Mixtapes & Heartbreak
Oh crap... Don't want to go there again. It was a disaster!!!

Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Dem Seminar" Alumni
Main: AK-0/ADS-0/2250/AV5125/AV5140s/Rythmik Audio F12SE Sub/Furman Elite 15i PF Linear Filter
Cave: LP12/Ekos/Arkiv/Lingo/Creek OBH-15/Sonos ZP90/PS Audio DL III DAC/NAIT 5i/Katans
Spares: 2250/Ittok LVII/Karma/Direktor/Cyrus One/Rega Kytes & R1
2011-12-08, 10:39
(2011-12-07 20:47)vicdiaz Wrote:  Oh crap... Don't want to go there again. It was a disaster!!!

How so?
2011-12-08, 12:02
It was the early 80's I was in land coocooo In love , remember at that time thinking there have been different girl friends but never had I felt like this you just knew it was the real deal and I was only 22 years.

TDK Chrome C90 was the tape of choice for me. With these tapes you could push the recording level a wee bit into the red level. On playback you still had a clear sound but a bit more punchier than the original.
tracks were picked that meant something to us both or carried a message. To keep the mood going I would say If I was to rewind my life I would want to be with the same girl

Abracadabra - Steve Miller Band - The lyrics were perfectly matched to the way I was feeling and what I thought

SME Model 10 Turntable -SME Series V Tonearm -Sumiko Pearwood Celabration 11 Cartridge - Uphorik Phono Stage - Akurate DS - Pre-amp Akurate Kontrol - Power Amps 2 x Akurate 4200 with Activ cards - Aktiv Akurate 212 loudspeakers. Leads Linn Silvers - Speaker Cable Chord Epic