Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-24, 17:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Music v / Mixtapes & Heartbreak

Mixtapes & Heartbreak
2011-12-08, 12:42
RE: Mixtapes & Heartbreak
(2011-12-08 12:02)I.D.C. Wrote:  Abracadabra - Steve Miller Band - The lyrics were perfectly matched to the way I was feeling and what I thought

"I wanna reach out and grab yer" ..... how sweet.

The Joker would have been more my style ..... "Really love your peaches wanna shake your tree". Wink

Like I said, not very romantic. Shy

Ingots and wood.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-12-08, 12:47
Mix tapes were always important to me. I made them for friends as well as girlfriends, and I still do a Christmas one every year, though it's on CD now.

Are mix tapes art? I don't know, but I've used them as the inspiration for more "accepted" art forms a couple of times.

[Image: i_made_you_a_tape.jpg]

(see this page for background information). And

[Image: one_in_2.65x10-32.no_10.jpg]

There's background on the print on this page. Copies still available in time for Christmas! Smile

I was a BASF chrome man, myself.

Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
2011-12-08, 13:32 (This post was last modified: 2014-02-25 12:06 by linnrd.)
⠃⠽⠑ ⠈⠇⠇
2011-12-08, 14:55
(2011-12-08 13:32)linnrd Wrote:  Two anecdotes:

A collection of tapes titled variously as "Music to Slash Your Wrists To" and "Leonard Cohen's Suicide Album". The former including various tracks by Tom Waits, The Smiths, etc etc. ending side one with Dylan's Desolation Row. Oh happy memories.

90 min TDK SA-X tape. A mix of Bob Dylan on one side and Clapton on another. Given (on a Friday) to a lady who had heard of Bob Dylan but couldn't think of what it was, and had only heard one song by Clapton and claimed to like it. The note wrapped around the tape said, "If you can't at least put up with this, we're probably not having coffee together on Monday. If you like the stuff, we could probably go for coffee every day." The tape still exists, it is kept in escrow by the Minister of Finance. Perhaps today/night I will make up a playlist to duplicate it and leave the iPad to be found in the morning with a note saying "Press Play". Ahh...the romance lives on.*

*For those who might think that this is an attempt at the the gentle are of (re)seduction, I betting that the response is going to be, "Cute, but you'd have had better luck with scramblies and toast with a hot cuppa on the side."

Thanks for the deluge of memories, Olly (and to all the others who joined in the thread). I think that mix tapes such as the ones people refer to are a means of us getting our thoughts/feelings expressed in words that are written by wordsmiths who have done a job that we wish we could have done ourselves. They are also highly personal in that the reveal ones state of mind (and heart) at a given moment in time, and they do serve as neat time capsules for these moments and events in our lives. The move to digital, in my opinion, has led to the loss of this snapshot simply because of the ease with which playlists can be eliminated, imho.

I think Desolation Row is actually quite cheery Smile

You're spot on about the time capsules and the move from mixtape to playlist - which, incidentally, is my part 2: Mixtapes & playlists...watch this space.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2011-12-08, 17:16
(2011-12-08 12:47)slackboy Wrote:  Mix tapes were always important to me. I made them for friends as well as girlfriends, and I still do a Christmas one every year, though it's on CD now.

Are mix tapes art? I don't know, but I've used them as the inspiration for more "accepted" art forms a couple of times.

Nice images...first one was oil on beer mat too, interesting medium.
2011-12-12, 16:31
Some more good mixtape art from Natalie Kosnar:

[Image: 7342059.jpg?430]

[Image: 5919053.jpg?289]
2012-01-03, 19:48
When I was a student, I used to record a lot of (mix)tapes and give them away as (birthday)presents, so I made most of them for others (read: now ex-girlfriends Big Grin).
In that time, friends and the library were the main sources of new music for me and I really recorded a lot. Maxell XL-II 90 was my favourite tape. Each time I upgraded my hifi system, I felt the need to re-record my tapes (last time from dbx to Dolby-C noise reduction). Friends found that rather annoying and it also was quite time-consuming...You can imagine why it took me a long time graduating Big Grin

When I finally could afford it (literally from my first pay check), I bought a Nakamichi deck that sadly never got the use it was build for because, at that time, I could also afford to start buying CD's. Still got the deck, virtually flawless, but no longer of this time and era...

In the student home where I lived for the longest period, I recorded "home tapes" which I have kept until this very day.
Mostly 80's-begin 90's stuff. These tapes were used when we held student-party's.
A song that comes to mind: Bette Milder's Beast of Burden.

In those days, I used to go sailing in the summer with other students and I remember that a tape of Van Morrison's "Moondance" I had brought with me, had a huge impact on the group. It became the favourite tape of that week. Someone else had brought a tape of Creedence Clearwater Revival which was also played a lot. Back to the 70's we went!
2012-01-25, 16:46
Part II - Mixtapes: The Last Broadcast

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=15372