Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-26, 05:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / DS Troubleshooting v / Kinsky iPhone discovery issues, works after using PlugPlayer

Kinsky iPhone discovery issues, works after using PlugPlayer
2012-04-08, 11:29 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-08 13:16 by Briain.)
RE: Kinsky iPhone discovery issues, works after using PlugPlayer
(2012-04-08 06:37)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  I had major issues when I 1st started using Kinsky on my IPad 2, I disabled one of my wifi connections so it only points to a single valid wifi ( net gear extension in my listening room )

Hi

An update to my post on the previous page ( here):

Well it worked as decreibed above (through many tests) and it worked this morning (again through several tests) but sadly, it has just resumed and lost Twonky and my WDTV Live Hub. After reading your post, I double checked and noticed I'd accidentaly left the 2.4G SSID active on 5G (I meant to set one SSID on eqch band) so I've disabled the 5G one and Kinsky is now working again. It looks like this mornings hiccup might have been due to the two interfaces being available, so we'll see if that's helped.

Before I started these tests (yesterday) I actually had the 5G radio disabled, so it's not been that issue all along*, however, it could still be that iOS has a problem dealing with the two radios in the iPad, but that's just wild speculation at the moment. If it does go wrong again like I have it set now, I'll push it over to the 5G radio (only) and see if that makes any difference. When I initially set the iPad up, both radios were active, so perhaps it's remembered that both bands should be available and it occassionally trying to use the 5G one during the Kinsky startup and discovery window. I don't know how the iPad handles the dual radios, but I wonder if it's attempting to toggling between the two and that's what's causing Kinsky discovery to hang.

*Of course, my 5G enable tick box claimd the 5G was down, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was actually down; it might have still been sending its beacons (time to whip out my spectrum analyser and test things) but having the 2 SSID's - one for each band - and 'forgetting' one of them (in the iPad) has now disambiguated the radios.

So, I'm now wondering if other folks who are experiencing Kinsky problems are using dual band wireless routers (or dual band WAP's)? Maybe that's a good forum question to ask; is anyone who is experiences these Kinsky discovery problems only using a single band wireless router (or single band WAP)?

Bri

PS Come on Miscrosoft, bring out a Windows 8 iPad version; it would both upset Apple and leave us all with working sound systems! Tongue Big Grin Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-08, 13:49 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-08 13:49 by Keltik Klown.)
All rather strange this.

With one minor caveat I am experiencing no problems whatsoever with (the release version of) Kinsky and iOS 5.1 on an iPhone 3GS.

The one caveat is that the RS-232 controlled preamp in our system (and the DS) must either be in Standby or set to one of the DS sources before starting Kinsky. If the pre-amp is set to one of its analogue sources when Kinsky is started Kinsky consistently hangs. However, Kinsky desktop on our 10.6.3 MacBook also does exactly the same thing so I don't believe this caveat to be an iOS specific issue.

(I've yet to verify if Kinsky desktop on Windows suffers from this in our setup but I should get round to giving it a try in the next day or two.)

Our network is really a rather simple domestic affair. The basic infrastructure consists of a somewhat ageing but perfectly functional Draytek 2600G router providing ADSL internet access and DHCP, a (single-band) EdiMax ED-7416 configured as a WAP and a couple of (blue) Netgear 100M/1G switches.

I use the 192.168.x.x address range with 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99 reserved for static addresses and 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199 reserved for the DHCP pool.

The Router, two ReadyNAS Duos and WAP use static addresses while the DS uses a "fixed" DHCP-assigned address.

As I say, it all works perfectly with the one exception of the problem when Kinsky is started with the pre-amp is set to a non-DS source.

LP12 (1988 Fluted Afromosia) | Ekos SE | ESC Arkiv-B | Lingo | Linto
SneakyDS | ReadyNAS Duo | Twonky 6.0.34 | Kinksy
Renew KK | 5125s | Keltik + Klimax Aktiv Crossovers (main)
5103 | 5125s | Centrik Mk 1 | Tukan (Aktiv surround)
2012-04-08, 14:11 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-08 14:18 by Briain.)
Hi

Well apart from one hiccup this morning (which there is a good explanation for) I've moved from having Kinsky fail at every single startup (this being after fully closing it and sleeping the iPad for >30 minutes) to now having it start perfectly every time (thus far), so it is looking a little like the dual band issue has made a significant change to my setup (and that the iPad had cached the fact that dual band was an option for that connection, causing a problem even though the 5G was disabled in the WAP), but it will be at least tomorrow before I can say whether I've eliminated the issues; fingers crossed!

Bri Smile

NB I'm using the following devices:
Draytek 2820Vn router (with wireless disabled)
Cisco 1252 enterprise grade WAP (dual band; now with different SSID's on each band)
Netgear GS116 (blue box, 16 port, GigE switch)
Cheapest cat5 I could buy Smile

Everything is set to DHCP and everything has MAC/IP bound addresses (and my subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.192).
2012-04-08, 14:22 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-08 14:25 by Briain.)
NB I've just had the first hint of a problem; Kinsky discovery took a little longer than normal and it didn't find the WD box (but everything else worked and it reappeared after a couple of Kinsky resumes), so I've temporarily isolated the WD box by putting it on a port based VLAN (on the Draytek) to keep it out of the picture for now.
2012-04-08, 14:23 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-08 14:24 by Keltik Klown.)
One other thing that it might be worth confirming -- i.e. are those that are reporting Kinsky-related problems with iOS experiencing any other network related problems with the iDevices (including the basic stuff like e-mail and web access)?

Bearing in mind that a lot of users seem to be reporting that other control points (predominantly Chorus and PlugPlayer) work OK I personally suspect that the answer to this is no and that the problems are unique to Kinsky.

LP12 (1988 Fluted Afromosia) | Ekos SE | ESC Arkiv-B | Lingo | Linto
SneakyDS | ReadyNAS Duo | Twonky 6.0.34 | Kinksy
Renew KK | 5125s | Keltik + Klimax Aktiv Crossovers (main)
5103 | 5125s | Centrik Mk 1 | Tukan (Aktiv surround)
2012-04-08, 14:28 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-08 14:45 by Briain.)
Hi

It's a good question, but if it's very brief anomalies causing discovery problems, you'd not notice them when using email or web browsing (over the delays you normally expect with these services). I've no problems with these services (nor with Kinsky) but I have noticed discovery issues with Twonky Beam on the iPad (it can't always find the WD box since the iOS update). I k ow my wireless network is reasonably free from interference as I use an 802.11 VoIP phone on it.

Bri

PS Twonky beam for iPad is free, so as another test, folks could install it and see if it sees the DS's every time it's opened.

Edit: Kinsky just lost Twonky, so there's still a problem to be investigated (I'll try the 5G radio, then move to Twonky 6.0.34 tomorrow).
2012-04-08, 16:18
I had similar Problems. I changed the following things to fix it:

1. Fix IP adresses on all devices (iPhone, iPad and Laptop with kinsky)
2. Disabled IGMsnooping on the WAP (D-Link DAP 2690) and the switch (netgear GS116E -the grey managed one).

Before I had massive Problems on all wireless devices that kinsky didn't found Twonky on startup. I allways had to close and reopen it or manually choose the mediaserver. Now everthings Works without a issue.

Hope that helps.

1. KDS/1/d, LP12, KK/1/d, Akurate 242MkII new Stand aktive with AV5125(d) (Bass), A3200(d) (Mid), A4200(d) (Treble), Akurate 226, all silver IC, QNAP TS-239 II Pro +, AV5103
2. Classic Movie(d) with 3 Zones: 2x Roomamp, 1x Roomamp2, Komponent
2012-04-09, 10:22 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-09 10:28 by Briain.)
Hi

Thanks for the info on IGMP snooping; that's very interesting. It has always been enabled in my WAP, so as part of my testing, the next thing I'll do is disable it and see how it performs. It could be that it's what causes the very occasional discovery problems and delays (these have always happened) but this latest issue (the continuous discovery failures since the iOS update) does seem to have massively changed for the better (after forgetting and recreating the iPad wireless association).

I'm going to leave things as they are for now, and with it running it on the 5G radio to see how that compares to the 2.4G one. Thus far, it has not failed once; I expect it will, but I really want to see it actually do so. As soon as it does, I'll disable at the IGMP snooping and see if that stops the occasional issues with Kinsky and Twonky Beam discoveries (that'll maybe take a little longer; both are behaving very well at the moment).

Bri Smile
2012-04-09, 12:26
Morning,
I have a dual band router and didnt mess with it, I did renew the wireless association as per your suggestion Brian. Last night it was our turn to have friends over, 3 couples until 2am this morning (head a bit soreSad )
Anyway the ds was on from noon yesterday until 2am, The performance of kinsky was almost flawless as the ipad was passed around while people made their music selections, it must have been restarted around 50 times and it only hung twice. When it did this I double clicked the home button and the playlist section goes blank, then i touch the blank playlist portion of the screen and everything discovers double quick time. So a good night with no embarrassing technology issuesSmile
This morning the ds and klimax kontrol were in standby and launching kinsky woke them up and kinsky loaded on ipad no problem. Prior to the wireless renewal procedure this would never happen, I always had to press the on button on the linn remote or start up kinsky on my laptop. I have already closed kinsky down and re-opened about 20 times today and no problems.
A strange thing happened yesterday as I was using safari on the ipad, first time after wireless renewal; it would launch a web page and then when I went to launch another or select an item from the original, safari wouldn't do it saying that it wasn't connected to the internet. I had to renew my wireless connection with my password a further 3 times before it behave itself. It was as if the ipad was not remembering the wireless password.... maybe this is significant, i dont know, but it is behaving perfectly now.
One other thing I downloaded a discovery app to have a look at what was being seen on the network by the ipad, it shows 2 klimax ds, one called klimax, linn ds and the other Klimax, media renderer. Maybe this is normal, but I thought I would mention it. Also kinsky doesnt seem to like me running that app as after using it, kinsky hangs, it did it just now so i deleted the app and relaunched kinsky, it took a minute or two for everything to come back on but it is back and is launching in about 4 seconds or so. Brian none of this may be relevant but it is my experiences and I hope it helps you and david to guide those that are having issues.
Thanks for the help.

Avalon

Klimax DS/1 , Klimax Kontrol/2, klimax chakra twin(Dk), akurate 242 (new bases) speakers,nordost Tyr & Chord Sarum Tuned Aray balanced, Chord Sarum Tuned Aray mains for Ds,russ andrews purifier block . Tranquil ava rs3 server, ipad 2 & kinsky & songbook lite. Sonos for multiroom.
2012-04-09, 13:10 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-09 13:19 by Briain.)
Hi

Thanks for the update; it's all sounding very promising! It looks like the dual band aspect might be a red herring, but it certainly looks like forgetting your wireless network then redoing it changes something. It feels a bit like the iOS update can put certain iThings into a funny state where the apps can't talk to the radio in the iPad and that doing the above fixes it. I've been firing it up all day and it's not failed once, so it really does seem to be conclusive. What we don't yet know is whether it will deteriorate over time (so will it start misbehaving next week, or next month) but it might be that David now has nothing to fix on Tuesday (so coffee sales will be up in the Linn canteen)! Smile

I'll change my initial post to suggest the disabling of one radio is an option to try if problems remain (if the wireless reset doesn't work).

Bri

PS It's a pain that the iPad is so locked down and has so little options to tweak things in it. I'd like to be able to set it to always use the 5G radio in preference, then to hand over to the 2.4G when the 5G signal drops to a certain level (then migrate to 5G again when it's back in range), but it seems to always use the 2.4G. In fact, I'd argue that that is how it should work by default (and then have an option to disable it). I think there are busts of interference on 2.4G (I've not yet seen one on the spectrum analyser, but I do very occasionally get 10 seconds of 'motor biking' on my VoIP phone, so I'm getting suspicious of a nearby microwave oven. I'm going to just use 5G for the iPad (and manually change it to 2.4 om the very few occasions when I want to read it outside) as Kinsky did have one dodgy discovery yesterday (2.4G) but it has been rock-solid today (5G).