Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-23, 07:54 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Top tips & upgrade advice for better sound

Top tips & upgrade advice for better sound
2011-12-17, 15:05 (This post was last modified: 2012-02-25 09:45 by phobic.)
Top tips & upgrade advice for better sound
I've picked up so much knowledge on improving my system from reading this forum I thought it might be useful to try to put some of the key bits of advice and links to other posts in a single place to make it easier for others.

I'll keep updating this first post with peoples recommendations so please make suggestions on what should be added and where it should be placed in the list.

Please try to keep things objective, if there isn't an overwhelming consensus of opinion please try to state both sides and provide links to the debate so people can make their own minds up.

Upgrades and improvements - loosely ordered for importance/impact
  1. Speaker Position Guide & thread on toe in - getting it millimetre perfect makes a huge difference
  2. Free upgrades massive improvements for little or no money, be sure to read up to at least page 5 and watch out for snakeoil comments!
  3. Solid Aluminium speaker stand upgrades are well worth the money - much tighter sound
  4. Dynamik power supply upgrades really are that good
  5. The internal interconnects in Majik power amps are almost as good as external Linn Silver interconnects, but make sure they are connected in the right way as they're directional. Internal 6100 interconnect thread, where 7.5 twists in the cable is recommended (and yes I have done it!)
  6. Linn Speaker cable and interconnects are directional and clearly marked as such on the cables themselves - however some people would argue this doesn't make a difference, try for yourself it's a free tweak so all you loose is your time
  7. Passive amping > multi amping > Aktiv, as a power amp upgrade path. Aktiv requires crossover cards in Majik & Akurte power amps, separate crossover box for Klimax, you’ll need a power amp channel per card so for Majik 140 speakers you’ll need 8 power amp channels.
  8. Once you've gone Aktiv, got your speakers in the right place and cables the right direction tweak the gain on your power amp to suit your room and personal preference
  9. DS changed my life - no more endless shelves of CDs, find what you want instantly
  10. Renew DS is a bargain if you can get your hands on one - it's a reboxed Klimax DS/0 at a fraction of the price

Software and hardware for your DS
  1. DS control software - Kinsky for PC, Mac and iPhone/iPad, Konductor for iPhone/iPad & Bubble DS for Android
  2. UPnP server software for hosting music for your DS - Asset UPnP & Twonky
  3. Installing Twonky on Netgear NAS
  4. NAS recommendations
  5. Listen to Spotify via your DS using Soncaster
  6. Zone Ripper - combined CD ripping, network attached storage, together with UPnP server

Tips and Info
  1. Use Tune Dem as a way to compare before and after upgrades/changes to your system
  2. Trust your ears. Use ABA testing to compare upgrades/changes - before, after, before. Double blind testing is even better if you can set it up. When doing tweaks, upgrades & changes it helps if you have a willing assistant who can make the changes for you while you listen from the same spot
  3. Ask for advice on upgrading your system on the forum, you'll get knowledgeable and helpful info from people who've done it themselves
  4. Peoples best upgrades ever
  5. Linn Product Upgrade History
  6. Worst Hi-Fi Snake Oil
  7. Linn FAQ, Linn Accessories FAQ
  8. Linn Interesting Forum Topics. Excellent summary of threads including 1 Networking, 2 Ripping, 3 Controlling the DS, 4 Twonky & Music Trees, 5 Cover art, and 6 Internet Radio
  9. LP12 Set-up - a brief overview

Room Treatment
  1. What Do You Do To Improve Your Room Acoustics?
  2. Improving room acoustics - Lot's of very useful links to read
  3. Room acoustics, helmholtz resonator, resonance, ringing etc. - DIY Helmholtz
  4. Using SPL meters

Discussions
  1. Are Power Conditioners needed with Linn? - more USA focused // Do you use Power Conditioners - Survey UK biased as most forum members are UK based // Power Conditioning that really works thread UK focused - NOTE: USA electricity supplies aren't as good as European so USA users may get a bigger benefit in this area than Europeans, this doesn't mean it's not a consideration for Europeans though, as always read, demo and make your own mind up
  2. Power Cables // Standard Power Cables vs. High End Cables

Common Terms
  1. MDSi - Majik DS with integrated amp
  2. MDS/0 - Majik DS
  3. MDS/1 - Majik DS updated version, factory fitted Dynamik
  4. ADS/0 - Akurate DS first version
  5. ADS/1 - Akurate DS updated version
  6. RDS - Renew DS, reboxed Klimax DS/0
  7. KDS/0 - Klimax DS first version
  8. KDS/1 - Klimax DS updated version
  9. xDSM - Where x could be Majik, Akurate or Klimax. DSM is the latest version of the DS with integrated amp
  10. MK - Majik Kontrol pre-amp
  11. AK/0 - Akurate Kontrol pre-amp
  12. AK/1 - Akurate Kontrol pre-amp 2nd version, different case & upgrades
  13. KK/0 - Klimax Kontrol pre-amp
  14. KK/1 - Klimax Kontrol pre-amp 2nd version

What key bits of knowledge would you pass on to others?

Obviously spending money on better components will give you most benefit but let's not turn this into a who's got the biggest wallet competition Cool
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-12-17, 19:43
RE: Top tips & upgrade advice for better sound
That's a great set of links, Phobic!

Might be worth making it clearer that they are links. I didn't realise at first...
2011-12-18, 09:17
Good point, will do.
2011-12-18, 11:23
Would be worth adding a "Forum tips" section as well, perhaps including the thread on how to post photos:
http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=5889
2011-12-18, 11:56
(2011-12-17 15:05)phobic Wrote:  The internal interconnects in Majik power amps are almost as good as external Linn Silver interconnects, but make sure they are connected in the right way as they're directional

Are the external interlinks (black and silver) also directional?
2011-12-18, 12:08
(2011-12-18 11:56)Sand Wrote:  
(2011-12-17 15:05)phobic Wrote:  The internal interconnects in Majik power amps are almost as good as external Linn Silver interconnects, but make sure they are connected in the right way as they're directional

Are the external interlinks (black and silver) also directional?

Yes, and clearly marked. The triangular arrows should point from source to preamp (or from preamp to power amp).
2011-12-18, 12:13
Adding to ripnas's Zoneripper max is an excellent product
2011-12-18, 13:42
Thanks Whizz, hadn't come across this product, added to the list
2011-12-19, 01:26 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-19 01:27 by Paulssurround.)
Great post PhobicSmile

This is like an early Christmas present. There is a lot of great reading here.

I would like to see a link to forum discussions on power conditioners, power cords and receptacles as I have had tremendous improvement to my system with themBig Grin

This is a thread that could be used as a reference by many.

Akubariks, 225 Centre, 212 Surrounds, Classe SSP-800, Renew DS, 2 X Akurate 4200(D), XLR/RCA Linn Silvers, K400, OPPO 105
Power: Shunyata Triton, Shunyata Zitron Cobra Power Cords., EP Digiplugs
Room Acoustics: SubDude HT's, Bass Traps, Curtains, Carpets, Acoustic Panels
2011-12-19, 09:50 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-19 10:02 by phobic.)
thanks Paul, that's is just what this thread is meant to be, a reference point with all the key bits of info in it.

good suggestion on Power conditioners, cords & receptacles, coincidently this is something I've been researching myself recently as well. I've a few threads in mind that I'll dig out and add but let me know if you can think of any others as well/instead.

As there's a bit of debate on this subject I'll put them in a discussion section.

Cheers
Ryan