Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-12, 09:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Music / Recorded Music v / Does practice make perfect?

Does practice make perfect?
2011-12-23, 10:44
Does practice make perfect?
Fascinating blog from The Prince Consort piano player Alisdair Hogarth - not much of a musician myself (never made it past bar chords) so this insight into professional performance is really interesting for me:

http://blogs.linn.co.uk/music/does-pract...erfect.php

Any piano players or musicians out there?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2011-12-23, 10:48 (This post was last modified: 2011-12-23 10:50 by moomintroll.)
RE: Does practice make perfect?
(2011-12-23 10:44)oliverh Wrote:  Any piano players or musicians out there?

Shouldn't that be drummers or musicians....?

Only joking guys - couldn't resist it Tongue

'troll

(edited to correct font)
Find all posts by this user
2011-12-23, 10:55
Bar chords should be ..er barred. Always been a stumbling block for me as well.

I think the point to remember is "If it was easy, it would have no value". Is it not the virtuosity of musicians and the way music can impart that emotional experience that makes it special.

I suppose one question might be though, "Was Mozart a Genius or just lucky that his synapses were joined together in a special way"

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
2011-12-23, 11:02
(2011-12-23 10:55)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Bar chords should be ..er barred. Always been a stumbling block for me as well.

I think the point to remember is "If it was easy, it would have no value". Is it not the virtuosity of musicians and the way music can impart that emotional experience that makes it special.

I suppose one question might be though, "Was Mozart a Genius or just lucky that his synapses were joined together in a special way"

There is no great genius without some touch of madness.
2012-01-23, 11:23
Philip Fowke clip added to article for anyone who'd like to hear it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWTh5FMJZ...ture=email
2012-01-24, 00:32
(2011-12-23 11:02)oliverh Wrote:  
(2011-12-23 10:55)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Bar chords should be ..er barred. Always been a stumbling block for me as well.

There is no great genius without some touch of madness.

And those whom the Gods wish to Destroy they first make mad.
Mozart was a hugely troubled soul who found a release in his music. His Requiem, a dark brooding piece, is majestic.
But not for a summer's afternoon.
He may have been the first Rock star casualty.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-01-29, 17:31
In study of hours practiced, they found a similar pattern of both behaviour and hours dedicated between leading musicians and sportsmen.
The example used from sport was Jonny Wilkinson, hours and hours each day just doing placed kicks.
Doesn't exactly make for the most exciting personality Tongue

LP12, Renew, KK in Black, Tunebox full of cards, LK140 X3, Klout on the Mid, Keltiks, lots of Silver Linn Cables, thick grey expensive cable under the floor boards AKA K600.
And a lot of Dummies books on IPads, Home networks and Windows 8
2012-02-16, 17:29
Interesting question!!

My opinion through many hours of practice is that you have to have some talent in the first place!
If the talent is there hours of practice wil make a huge difference (Rick Wakeman still practices 4-6 hours a day!) but if you have no talent then with 10 hours a day practice then you might just get somewhere the day before you die.
2012-02-16, 18:46
(2012-02-16 17:29)salamonscream Wrote:  Interesting question!!

My opinion through many hours of practice is that you have to have some talent in the first place!
If the talent is there hours of practice wil make a huge difference (Rick Wakeman still practices 4-6 hours a day!) but if you have no talent then with 10 hours a day practice then you might just get somewhere the day before you die.
It is the environment that you are exposed to during your learning process, and unfortunately the concept of talent first is overrated.

There is a great book on this - "The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown." The book analyzes everything from Tennis greats to Cello greats, very eye opening. And it all boils down to 10,000 hours of practice, so I am going to pick up my snooker cue and get some practice :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#1: KDS,KK,SME20/2A w/Akiva, Uphorik, Exakt 350A, Transparent Reference XL Cables
#2: LP12 40th Aniv.,KDS,Unidisc 1.1,KK Solosx2,Kremlin,LP12, Wilson Duette 2,JL Audio F113, Transparent XL Cables
#3: Klimax Renew, Klimax Chakra twin, Akurate Pre, Majik 109s, Akurate Sub
2012-02-28, 10:18
It's a Wall. You hit a wall that depends on your ability. Sure practise is necessary. It was Gary Player, who when chastised for being lucky in getting out of a bunker said "Yes, and the more I practise the luckier I get".

I do believe there are people with, what is labelled "Natural Talent", but it is amazing how many musicians are like a Duck on water. What you see is smooth, confident performance, that belies the ammount of practise and rehearsing that goes on.

I can't remember which Chess Grandmaster it was but the story is told that at 4 years old he was watching his Father play when he told him to play a particular move. Upon examination it was a killer move. Maybe this is apocryphal,I don't know. But it is rather on a par with the stories about Mozart.

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold