Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-21, 05:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Behind cupboard mounting?

Behind cupboard mounting?
2012-03-27, 13:52
Behind cupboard mounting?
Hello all

Is there a bracket available for Majik DSM & 4100 cases to allow wall mounting flat to surface?

This would allow mounting behind a free standing cupboard if so (for me anyway)

Thanks in advance

Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-03-27, 14:04
RE: Behind cupboard mounting?
I suspect it would have to be a custom bracket to do it neatly.

When things tended to have screw on feet (rather than stick on), it was fairly common to mount an amp or whatever using the holes for the feet (i.e. screwing from the inside of the case if there weren't PCBs in the way). That way, you didn't have to make any significant modifications to the casing.

Unfortunately with the Majik DSM venting the way it does, you couldn't do the other trick of mounting the casing sleeve straight to the wall (you could buy a spare ready for if you ever sell it).

The venting doesn't lend itself to vertical mounting really anyway - so any solution may have a detrimental impact on the products longevity.

Low budget option - a shallow shelf (100mm) and rest the unit on it's side? No need to modify the casing etc. If it's behind a cupboard, the aesthetics are less of a concern?

Technical Director, What You See And Hear Ltd., Beaconsfield
Superior home cinema and sound
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-03-27, 14:41 (This post was last modified: 2012-03-27 14:43 by budhudson.)
Bugger

As expected but had to ask

At present they are under a cupboard and on view - idea was get them behind cupboard (well vented etc) out of sight

Plan B beckons when i think what plan B is

Thanks for the reply
Plan B -

What if i remove the outer casing altogether (out of view anyway) to increase venting and mount using some sort of custom made bracket/holder?
2012-03-27, 20:38
I recently had some custom work done by a metal shop.

The end result was wonderful and the cost was reasonable, for the work done.

If you know anyone with some design skills, you could take the design to a metal shop, or wood shop for a wood based solution.

Akubariks, 225 Centre, 212 Surrounds, Classe SSP-800, Renew DS, 2 X Akurate 4200(D), XLR/RCA Linn Silvers, K400, OPPO 105
Power: Shunyata Triton, Shunyata Zitron Cobra Power Cords., EP Digiplugs
Room Acoustics: SubDude HT's, Bass Traps, Curtains, Carpets, Acoustic Panels
2012-03-28, 08:50
(2012-03-27 14:41)budhudson Wrote:  What if i remove the outer casing altogether (out of view anyway) to increase venting and mount using some sort of custom made bracket/holder?

My biggest concern with that is that the PSU would be completely exposed, there is potential that something could get knocked off the cupboard and into the PSU with potentially destructive effects. Also if there is the potential for curious fingers getting close to it the possible result doesn't bare thinking about.

If you went with Marcus' low budget option, you should take into account that the Majik DSM has vent holes in the sides too, a carefully designed shelf could leave these exposed. Another consideration is the cabling, if it was balanced on a shelf, then the cabling could be enough to pull the unit off, so adding a support from the top wouldn't be a bad idea.

Best Regards,

Dan
2012-03-28, 10:38
Gents

Thanks for the replies and suggestions

The 'cover off' idea was considered and would be safe (completely behind a cupboard with no chance of anything falling onto or into any of the items) as it was intended to fix them side on (ie flat) to the back of the cupboard. Cover off was purely for venting

Change of ideas results in a different room now anyway so nul and void after all that wasted 'serious thinking'

Thanks again though

Mark
2012-03-28, 11:45
Glad you've worked out a solution anyway.

I'd definitely go with Dan's advice about running things without a cover - not something I would do in my own house let alone a customer's.

He also makes a valid point about the side vents on the Majik DSM. As I said, any vertical mounting solution for a product designed to be horizontal is going to have an impact on the product's longevity.

One burning question for Dan that popped into my head though - one I've always wondered why it exists.

Why can you flip the display on a DS within Konfig (i.e. to make it appear upside down)? Is this for ceiling mount applications???? Wink

I've just never known why that option exists. I know the answer is going to be something very sensible and obvious though!

Technical Director, What You See And Hear Ltd., Beaconsfield
Superior home cinema and sound
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-03-28, 12:00 (This post was last modified: 2012-03-28 12:01 by rad.)
(2012-03-28 10:38)budhudson Wrote:  Gents

Thanks for the replies and suggestions

The 'cover off' idea was considered and would be safe (completely behind a cupboard with no chance of anything falling onto or into any of the items) as it was intended to fix them side on (ie flat) to the back of the cupboard. Cover off was purely for venting

Change of ideas results in a different room now anyway so nul and void after all that wasted 'serious thinking'

Thanks again though

Mark

If you Google "CPU wall mount" (check the Images search) you may get some ideas. I have been looking into this for PC applications. But may work for your problem.

KDS1 - KK1/D - 4 x Solos/D - Sonus Faber Amati Futura
Cables: BEL The Wire; Vertere Pulse B
Mains: Black Rhodium Libra + Cratos; Richard Gray RGPC 600S
2012-03-28, 12:10
(2012-03-28 11:45)marcusjb Wrote:  One burning question for Dan that popped into my head though - one I've always wondered why it exists.

Why can you flip the display on a DS within Konfig (i.e. to make it appear upside down)? Is this for ceiling mount applications???? Wink

I've just never known why that option exists. I know the answer is going to be something very sensible and obvious though!

You're right the answer is simple, one of the designers prefers to listen to music in a particular yoga pose that means they can't read the display when it's the normal way up, Wink

No, seriously it is simply because we don't always have the correct metalwork available when products are being developed, so the prototypes end up needing the display to be run upside down in here.
2012-03-28, 12:10
Rad

Good suggestion - back to plan A

Mark