Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-09-18, 00:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / DS Troubleshooting v / Happy with Davaar?

Poll: Are you happy with Davaar?
This poll is closed.
YES 95.45% 63 95.45%
NO 4.55% 3 4.55%
Total 66 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Happy with Davaar?
2012-04-01, 17:31 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-01 17:48 by Briain.)
RE: Happy with Davaar?
Hi

Interesting tip and I'll try that; thanks for that one. The thing is that with Chorus, you can play stuff then click on the art to give the now playing screen. You can then standby the ipad, and when resuming it, Chorus is still active (and in the same screen mode) so you can thus quickly use it to change tracks or volume then standby the ipad again. That's as it should be as it turns the ipad into something far more like a bespoke controller, but with Kinsky, resuming the ipad shows you the ipad home screen and thus you have to then resume Kinsky (and it takes a little while to discover things) so that sleep mode issue really needs to be sorted out as well.

If Chorus had an alternative 'now playing' screen that showed art more like Kinsky's 'now playing' screen, it would be fabulous. In other words, leave the current Chorus 'now playing' screen (the one with the play/stop controls) exactly as it is, but change the more basic one (the one without the controls) to show larger art (and to the original aspect ratio as opposed to being squared-off) and to show no text, and also if there were a user selectable option to have a darker home screen (midnight blue like the latest Sonos iPad, or black like Kinsky iPad) then I'd not look any further than Chorus as the ultimate CP solution.

That said, what I very much dislike about Chorus and Songbook is that you can slide the volume to full by mistake (that's happened lots of times when I've had guests round) so I only use Kinsky when I have visitors (that's why I'd like it to work) so Linn have done a wonderful job on that aspect of it.

So to turn the tables, if Kinsky could stay active after an ipad suspend, and if it could show covers like Kinsky Desktop (which I'm sure it will one day) and if it could start quickly, then I'd look no further than Kinsky ipad as my CP.

Basically, that's why I keep harping on about looking forward to Win 8 tablets as Kinsky Desktop on a tablet would meet with all my requirements as there are things about all the current CP's that I like and dislike.

Bri Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-01, 18:55
(2012-04-01 17:20)pdcman Wrote:  Davaar 5 is mainly great. Great sound, no issues there; and also works very well with Chorus and Kinksy on Windows Vista. It can get a bit cranky on Kinsky for iPad.

On the whole, thumbs up from me, and a big sound upgrade from Cara...Big Grin

Agree with sound improvement, despite Linn suggesting to the contrary on all updates. Also using iPad1 and iPhone, both have problems but it is not the end of the world if I have to restart.

Still never worked out how to play a whole album, only select by track, but don't want to hijack this thread with a non-related question Wink

Majik DS (D), Majik-I (D), 109, Macbook Pro with Minimserver (Seagate FW Drive - abandoned readynas!), Project Debut, Kinsky and Songcast
2012-04-01, 19:20
No problems with sound quality. The problems have occurred with the control aspects. KinskyTouch for IPad and PC have both proved problematic, all the
more so with Asset v4.

Source: LP12SE, KDS/1, Zoneripper Max, Spotify
Control: KK/1, Kinsky, iPad2
Playback: Akubariks
2012-04-01, 19:44 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-01 19:46 by avalon.)
(2012-04-01 18:55)mmbds32 Wrote:  
(2012-04-01 17:20)pdcman Wrote:  Davaar 5 is mainly great. Great sound, no issues there; and also works very well with Chorus and Kinksy on Windows Vista. It can get a bit cranky on Kinsky for iPad.

On the whole, thumbs up from me, and a big sound upgrade from Cara...Big Grin

Agree with sound improvement, despite Linn suggesting to the contrary on all updates. Also using iPad1 and iPhone, both have problems but it is not the end of the world if I have to restart.

Still never worked out how to play a whole album, only select by track, but don't want to hijack this thread with a non-related question Wink
Press and hold your finger on the album listing and a screen will pop up and select play now or laterSmile

Avalon

(2012-04-01 19:20)Visoflex Wrote:  No problems with sound quality. The problems have occurred with the control aspects. KinskyTouch for IPad and PC have both proved problematic, all the
more so with Asset v4.

I have no intentions of upgrading to asset 4, until things settle down, I do wish that Graham would make a comment as to what is going on......Smile

Avalon

Klimax DS/1 , Klimax Kontrol/2, klimax chakra twin(Dk), akurate 242 (new bases) speakers,nordost Tyr & Chord Sarum Tuned Aray balanced, Chord Sarum Tuned Aray mains for Ds,russ andrews purifier block . Tranquil ava rs3 server, ipad 2 & kinsky & songbook lite. Sonos for multiroom.
2012-04-01, 20:04
(2012-04-01 19:44)avalon Wrote:  Press and hold your finger on the album listing and a screen will pop up and select play now or laterSmile

Avalon
Thanks a million, I should have known better, it is a typical ipad thing, tap and hold isnt it (doh) Wink

Majik DS (D), Majik-I (D), 109, Macbook Pro with Minimserver (Seagate FW Drive - abandoned readynas!), Project Debut, Kinsky and Songcast
2012-04-01, 20:24
Happy with Davaar?
Best sound on the ADS/0 I still think is Cara 9, but on the ADS/1 Davaar 5 sounds great and have had no problems with reliability.
2012-04-01, 21:13
Using an Iphone 4 mainly as control point and sometimes various PCs. Sounds great and normally works perfectly. Sometimes doesn't discover the players first time round using the iphone.

G

KEDSM and Exakt 350s, Sneaky DS and Diskreets in Kitchen. Sekrit DSi Kudos and Diskreets In Bedroom. Sekrit DSi and Tukans, Sneaky DS and Kef Eggs in 2nd Location.
2012-04-02, 14:49
No problems here beyond an occasional glitch--no more or less so than with prior versions, just different. Sound is superb.

LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos SE/Kandid; DS-1; Unidisk 1.1; Kontrol; Solos; Tannoy Kensington SE; Sound Application SA1 PLC; Luminous Synchestra Ref ICs & Sig spkr cable; Morph PCs

DS Renew; Kairn; Berning Siegfried; Hornshoppe Horns; Empirical Design ICs; DNM Solid Core spkr
2012-04-02, 15:47
Davaar 5 is very stable and brings some great functionality to the products compared to Cara (particularly if you own multiple DS and/or like to AirPlay stuff from iPods/iPads).

With Kinsky desktop on my PC, I get close to perfect performance.

There are some instabilities with iOS devices - particularly with the latest iOS 5.1 (as others have mentioned) - but hopefully Linn will get a grip on those and update the Kinsky app in the near future.

Technical Director, What You See And Hear Ltd., Beaconsfield
Superior home cinema and sound
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-04-06, 08:35
Davaar5 with Kinsky on iPad2 with iOS5.1 and very happy, no problems, very reliable, songcast works and it sounds great.