Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:05 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Top One Hundered Reference Records

Top One Hundered Reference Records
2012-04-02, 18:34
RE: Top Ten Reference Records
Yep, agree with all this, I love Rocking Jimmy, I've got both albums, the James Newton Howard, my favourite on that is "Gone Buttlefishing" that can pin you to the wall.
Another track to add to the list IMO ( it blew me away on Saturday night ) is "Rythmn of the Heat" by Peter Gabriel on 4. The explosive drumming at the end of this track just takes your breath away, the sheer power of its delivery is mindboggling on my Active system.
Another track I'd add to the list is "Footstomper" by Harry James on Sheffield Labs "Coming From A Good Place"

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-02, 18:55
Whilst we are on system tests....Alpha Blondy & the Wailers ....Jerusalem (Sterns 1019)
.....needs amp on 11 ......Big Grin

LP12SE, Ekos SE, Kandid /Klimax Radikal / Urika / KDS-mk4/K Kontrol - Mk2 / Klimax Solos-Mk2 / Akurate 242-Mk2
A/V System:- Sony S570 Blu-Ray, Onkyo TX-SR875, Linn Komponent Speakers.
Upstairs:- Nakamichi DR2, Exposure VII Dual, 2x VI, IV single, MS10s.
2012-04-02, 19:26
Ha, what a great thread, amp on a 11! Reminds me of being 16 and coming home from the Deep Purple in rock tour. Couldn't hear for hours!
Think I'll have to make it a top 20 and not 10. Just great. Outstanding.
2012-04-02, 22:28
Direct to Metal mastering:
Charly Antolini - Knock Out
Charly Antolini - Countdown

For a taste of what this man can do you might want to airplay/songcast this, with another two variations on the same theme. Each one is different, yet he is as deep in the pocket as can be. On one of the albums, the second side had to be recut because the snare was soaked from the playing.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2012-04-03, 02:55
Lou Reed: Rock n' Roll Animal (Live) "Heroin". While he has represented the heroin rush perfectly in music, it is a great song to show off the terrific articulation and musicality of your Linn system.

Charles Gounod: St. Cecilia Mass, Barbara Hendricks soprano, Georges Pretre Conductor LP# EL 270134 1

Victrola 1922 Floor model.
2012-04-03, 08:31
DSOM- MFSL UHQR pressing
Sgt Peppers- MFSL UHQR pressing
Fleetwood Mac- Rumours - 45RPM Pallas pressing
Dire Straits- Communique - Pallas pressing (once upon a time in the west)
Norah Jones- Feels like home- Classic Records pressing
Alison Krauss + US- New Favorites (and forget about it)
Kraftwerk- Tour de France
Ray Charles- Genius loves company

A Linn system that I am proud of
2012-04-03, 23:28
Many thanks for evryone's input. The Top Ten has turned into a Top 25 due to so many great recomendations. Please keep them coming. Lets see if we can get up to a Top Fifty. This will benefit all of us in finding great music.
Steve

Top 25 Reference Recordings

1. Rockin Jimmy and the Brothers of the Night, "By the Light of the Moon" Track 3 "Little Rachel" Sonet label SNTF 857.

2. Sara K. "Waterfalls" track 3 side C "All your Love” Special mastered recording on 180G by Stockfisch Records.

3. Taj Mahal Recycling the Blues & Other Related Stuff. It is 180 Gram on Pure Pleasure.
The track Sweet Home Chicago.

4. James Newton Howard and Friends (Sheffield Labs recording). Side 1, Track 4 : 'L'Daddy'

5. 'Mars: Bringer of War' - Holst: The Planets, Andre Previn and the LSO.

6. 'Tower of Song' - Leonard Cohen : I'm Your Man.

7. Phil Collins 'Hello I must be going', track called ....'Thru these walls'.

8. Cantate Domino by Oscars Motettkor....any track really, but Julsang is great.

9. 'Breakfast in the field' or 'Aerial Boundaries' by Michael Hedges, great recordings and music.

10. Paul Simon “ One Trick Pony” The track, One Track Pony.

11. Dire Straits. “Dire Straits” Track, Sultans of Swing.

12. Peter Gabriel "Rythmn of the Heat" on 4.

13. Harry James "Footstomper" on Sheffield Labs "Coming From A Good Place"

14. Alpha Blondy & the Wailers ....Jerusalem (Sterns 1019) Needs amp on 11.

15. Charly Antolini - Knock Out, Charly Antolini – Countdown. Direct to Metal mastering.

16. Lou Reed Rock n' Roll Animal (Live) "Heroin".

17. Charles Gounod: St. Cecilia Mass, Barbara Hendricks soprano, Georges Pretre Conductor LP# EL 270134 1

18. DSOM- MFSL UHQR pressing

19. Sgt Peppers- MFSL UHQR pressing

20. Fleetwood Mac- Rumours - 45RPM Pallas pressing

21. Dire Straits- Communique - Pallas pressing (once upon a time in the west)

22. Norah Jones- Feels like home- Classic Records pressing

23. Alison Krauss + US- New Favorites (and forget about it)

24. Kraftwerk- Tour de France

25. Ray Charles- Genius loves company
2012-04-04, 00:14 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-04 00:15 by Gaius.)
It's a great thread and the list above has some superb stuff.

I'm going to add a very favourite of mine, I have it as a first press and also on Classic Records; both are sublime, if I had to choose I'd keep the first cut.

Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions.

Oh yeah Cool
2012-04-04, 04:41 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-04 04:42 by ami.)
(2012-04-04 00:14)Gaius: Trade tiger paw Wrote:  It's a great thread and the list above has some superb stuff.

I'm going to add a very favourite of mine, I have it as a first press and also on Classic Records; both are sublime, if I had to choose I'd keep the first cut.

Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions.

Oh yeah Cool
Absolutely, and Trinity revisited too. Both great recordings. Add to this any of the music matters Blue Note reissues. So many thrilling recordings to choose from. If only one is allowed I guess I would choose the recently reissued Art Blakey 'indestructible' or Lee Morgan's 'search for the new land'.

1st setup: LP12/Cirkus/Lingo 2/Ekos 2/Delos/Linto, Ikemi > Kairn > 4 Klouts > 2*K400 > Keltiks
2nd setup: LP12/Pre-Cirkus/Valhalla/Ittok LVII/ESC-Troika, Karik/Numerik > Majik-IP > Klout+LK140 > Aktiv Keilidhs
2012-04-04, 06:39
Flat Earth...if I may suggest...Can you edit the first post to get the list on there, so that it is always right up front rather than buried here on page 2. I also noticed that there are 26 top 10 records....and...with any luck we should get that number to get even larger.Big Grin Thanks for the compilation...and thanks for suggestions to all...it makes for a great shopping list.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.