Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 11:45 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Top One Hundered Reference Records

Top One Hundered Reference Records
2012-04-04, 18:51
RE: Top Ten Reference Records
Roger Waters - Amused to Death

All the album on wax is my 'standard test listen'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-04, 19:26
(2012-04-04 18:51)budhudson Wrote:  Roger Waters - Amused to Death

All the album on wax is my 'standard test listen'

I'd like to get a copy on vinyl. I wish someone would do a reissue.

LP12, Exposure amps, Tannoy Speakers, Mana & Symposium Supports
2012-04-04, 19:46
TALK TALK 'The Colour of Spring'.
It's the album I keep going back to and the first one I play every time I have made an upgrade.It's the best produced and recorded album I've heard.
I have gone alittle OTT this year.I've had a copy on vinyl from when it was first released.I bought another copy 6 months ago,mint from ebay.I bought the Simply Vinyl reissue a month back AND ordered the lastest EMI reissues.

LP12-Dynamik Radikal-Urika-Keel-Ekos SE-Cadenza Black-Akurate CD player(D)-Exotik(D)-C2200(D)-Roksan TR-5 speakers-Chord Signature speaker cable-Linn Silver interconnects
2012-04-04, 20:04
Would like to suggest:

Keith Jarrett

The Köln Concert

ECM Records 1975

1st: LP 12 Sondek, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo, T-Kabel, Akito, Benz ACE L, Mission DAD 5, Akurate DSM, Akurate 4200 (D), Goldkabel Sound Edition 300,
B&W CM 9 bi-amped, Goldkabel Powerline MK II, Ears, QNAP TurboNas TS 219P II, ChorusDS

2nd: iPod 30 GB, Pretek, Powertek, Flatline Cable, EPOS ES 14
2012-04-04, 23:25
Paul Simon - The Rhythm of the Saints
Neil Young - This note's for you
Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the night
Dire Straits - Love over Gold
Dire Straits - On every Street
Sarah McLachlan - The Freedom Sessions
Supertramp - Brother where you Bound
Sade - Ultimate Collection
Van Morrison - Magic Time
Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark
Mark Knopfler - Get Lucky

LP12 Keel/CH Bubinga/Lingo2/EkosSE/DV20x2L/310LP/320PS/Moon600i/JMLabs Electra
2012-04-05, 22:13 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-05 22:18 by The Flatearther.)
[quote='linnrd' pid='186893' dateline='1333517991']
Flat Earth...if I may suggest...Can you edit the first post to get the list on there, so that it is always right up front rather than buried here on page 2. I also noticed that there are 26 top 10 records....and...with any luck we should get that number to get even larger.Big Grin Thanks for the compilation...and thanks for suggestions to all...it makes for a great shopping list.

Linnrd thanks for the suggestion. Done

Hi Everyone. Thanks for the further suggestions. I am very busy at the moment trying to tune my Mana table with no real idea what I'm doing. "The glass is supposed to what? Ring" Hells teeth.
I will update the master list this weekend and repost at the start of the thread.
Keep them coming please.
2012-04-05, 23:34
So many but if we are talking nice recordings then an old fave that springs to mind is Tommy Chase, Groove Merchant on Stiff records. Fantastic UK 4 piece jazz with bags of energy and driving rhythm. The sense of 'liveness' and the immediate vitality and pace of the music flatters even a medoiocre system but on a top flight TT/cart and system it sounds gobsmacking and will leave you breathless... just as if the band are right there in your living room complete with lots of incidental background noises and sounds that shouldn't really be there.

I also like Stanley Clarke, Stories to tell, from 'if only this bass could talk' because its one of those ones where I have yet to hear a system that can properly unravel it.

Allnic / Avalon / Vitus / Aurender / Durand / Entreq / HFC / Transfiguration / PAB / Reed
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-04-06, 00:16
Any track from Goldfrapp's 'Felt Mountain'.
2012-04-06, 02:14
Antonio Forcione - Live (Naim)

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2012-04-06, 09:52
One of my faves is Carol Kidd - Nice Work from our very own Linn records. Has superb dynamics and swing, great piano sound, bass and of course her wonderful voice. Unfortunately not available on LP any more but if there ever was a reissue I'd buy one in a minute as my copy is starting to show it's age.

The Blue Niles' first album 'A Walk Across the Rooftops' also on Linn is pretty wow as well. Don't know availability on this one but most probably out of print also. These are both pretty classic albums from Linn and I personally believe they should always be available on LP purely for prosperity. Wonderful stuff.

Jonas Hellborg - Elegant Punk. An album of solo bass playing and one that will test the bottom end of any system. Distributed in this country by Rega of all people, not sure if they do that anymore......ho-hum.

Had all of these back in the day when I had 135's and Isobariks and whatever incarnation of LP12 I had at the time.........ahhhhh the memories, but all of the above still sound killer on modern systems too.