Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 21:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..

Thread Closed 
Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..
2012-04-03, 07:13
Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..
The unscientific poll that I had carried out about three weeks ago led to a 3:1 proportion of people who said that they could be happy with a system that cost less than a Majik DS-M with M109s. A couple of folks (stunta and Vereina) indicated that they could get away with systems costing less than that using well-chosen gear. The interesting thing is that at no point can one get the same level of quality playback with a vinyl setup that one can with an entry level digital front end. While Vereina did propose the option of a used turntable, it needs to be then compared to a used DS system. Granted the used market has some great values but, if we consider new equipment alone, digital on the cheap is probably going to give a more listenable system than vinyl on the cheap (all things being the same), whereas digital at it's most expensive has yet to reach the peaks (pardon the pun) that vinyl can at that level. The interesting thing would be to figure out where the inflection point of the two lies and what one could get for that amount of expenditure.

Discuss.Tongue

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose.. - linnrd - 2012-04-03 07:13