Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 09:25 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..

Thread Closed 
Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..
2012-04-03, 22:22
RE: Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..
I've thought about this thread and to my surprise I find I agree with the OP. Traditionally I'd have been right there saying a half decent £300 turntable would outperform just about any digital source. But my recent disappointing experience with a Rega P3-24 - where I discovered I prefered to listen to my CD rips through the 'DS' type media player in my preamp - has led me to conclude that digital replay has advanced to the point where you need a pretty decent turntable to outdo it. Hence my imminent LP12 purchase.

Incidentally from my limited knowledge of what is going on, the creation of digital sources that get to buffer the data with the inherent jitter advantages etc (so, DS type sources and buffering CD players), seems to have been the moment where replay took a big leap forward in musicality and 'natural-ness'. Who would have thought that SQ was on those 16/44.1 discs all that time.....

So yes, if I only had a few hundred quid now I would be getting my hands on some sort of DS type player.

Linn: LP12/Cirkus/Tramp2/MOSE/Khan/Nima/Adikt, 3x C6100, M140 aktiv, M112 aktiv, 2x M109 aktiv. Also: Marantz AV7005 pre/pro, BK Monolith DF sub, BDP-S480 Blu Ray, EP35 HD-DVD, Sky HD, HTPC, JVC DLA-X3 3D projector, Beamax 84" fixed screen, 2 cheapo rear speakers.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose.. - Village Idiot - 2012-04-03 22:22