Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 03:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..

Thread Closed 
Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..
2012-04-04, 07:23 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-04 07:27 by linnrd.)
RE: Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose..
(2012-04-04 03:25)jbc Wrote:  To my ears, at least, there's a bigger variance in the quality of analog replay with increasing cost than digital.
Absolutely agree. The crappiest CD player will sound better than the crappiest vinyl player. On the other hand, my vinyl setup embarrasses the K-DS/1 even on hi-res audio.

(2012-04-04 03:25)jbc Wrote:  Also, the cost of good digital has dropped rapidly over the past 5 years or so. Cheap digital is pretty good (cambridge 751, for example).
+1

Glad to hear all the viewpoints. I did mention you in the OP, stunta (hadn't forgotten your bedroom rig). It is however, hard to find a vinyl setup at the same cost as a Sonos setup. And yes, while the Sonos may not be as good as the M-DS, it is still a passable digital source that is not going to be bested by a vinyl setup. Much like slackboy, I can't say that I disagree with anyone's posts (and I didn't expect to). And Dr. Eddie, foreseeing your comment, I had the "...or comatose.":P To quote a very well known philosopher, "It's not dead. It's just resting."
(2012-04-04 03:52)SaltyDog Wrote:  Considering how limited time is, the quantity and variety of music one can enjoy via digital media gives it an unquestionable edge.
Considering how limited time is, the quality of music one can enjoy on vinyl gives it an unquestionable edge.Tongue To quote a retired friend of mine, "I don't have time to listen to new music. I only have time to listen to the old jazz that I like. And even then, I'll die before I listen to it all."

(2012-04-04 03:52)SaltyDog Wrote:  So why does a sandwich made by someone else always taste better? And why does a sandwich always taste better on a boat?
So...how does a sandwich made by someone else on a boat taste?Wink Oh...and that comment about sandwiches made by someone else is orders of magnitude truer when applied to souffles...but not on boats!Big Grin

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why vinyl will remain dead...or comatose.. - linnrd - 2012-04-04 07:23