Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-12-20, 00:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Info / Forum and Web v / Volume control via Kinsky

Volume control via Kinsky
2012-04-20, 14:53
RE: Volume control via Kinsky
(2012-04-20 13:24)ilduro Wrote:  Hi eamonn,

Does the volume display on the Klimax Kontrol change when you adjust the volume on Kinsky?

- no, it doesn't

Does the source change on the Klimax Kontrol when you change source on Kinsky.

- yes it does and the KK switches to the new source

What source did you choose to rename on the Klimax Kontrol when following the instructions on the Docs site.

- 'Analog 1' source on the KK was set to 'Klimax DS', however 'Analog 1' is still greyed out. Startup source is also set to 'Klimax DS'.

In Konfig, under Extra Information next to the KK symbol, I have a message saying "RS232 controlled device does not appear to be connected".

Hi ilduro

If you're able to change source on the KK using Kinsky then RS232 communications must be functioning to some extent. But the Konfig status report you've quoted suggests otherwise.

So, you've either got a faulty RS232 cable or perhaps the cable is connected to the wrong RS232 terminal on the KK. It should be connected to "RS232 IN" not "RS232 OUT". Could you double check this please?

eamonn

Majik DS-I - Akurate 2200 - Akurate 212, Sneaky Music DS - Komponent 104
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-20, 15:07
[/quote]

Hi ilduro

If you're able to change source on the KK using Kinsky then RS232 communications must be functioning to some extent. But the Konfig status report you've quoted suggests otherwise.

So, you've either got a faulty RS232 cable or perhaps the cable is connected to the wrong RS232 terminal on the KK. It should be connected to "RS232 IN" not "RS232 OUT". Could you double check this please?

eamonn

[/quote]

Hi eamonn,

I believe the switching of the source may happen through the ethernet network rather than the RS232 cable, no? Anyway, checked the RS232 cable connection and everything is as it should be. You may be right, it could be the cable. Wouldn't be the first time, unfortunately... Sad

Since I live in Bahrain, it may be a while until I can get a replacement. Ah, WTH, there are worse things in life. Will simply go back to "manual" then.

Thanks a lot anyway!! Nice of you to help.

Linn KDSM/1 | LP12 | Linto | Lingo | Spectron Musician III Mark 2 Monoblocks (full options) | B&W N800 | Kimber Select and Linn Silver cabling | Ripnas Statement | Isotek Aquarius
Linn KK/1 | Accuphase A-50V | Renew DS/1 | Gallo Reference 3.5 | Gallo Reference 3 S.A. Amp | Kimber Select cables
2012-04-20, 15:27
(2012-04-20 15:07)ilduro Wrote:  Hi eamonn,

I believe the switching of the source may happen through the ethernet network rather than the RS232 cable, no? Anyway, checked the RS232 cable connection and everything is as it should be. You may be right, it could be the cable. Wouldn't be the first time, unfortunately... Sad

Since I live in Bahrain, it may be a while until I can get a replacement. Ah, WTH, there are worse things in life. Will simply go back to "manual" then.

Thanks a lot anyway!! Nice of you to help.

Hi ilduro

Kinsky sends the source change message over the ethernet network to the KDS then the KDS sends an RS232 message to the KK.

What version of software are you running on your KDS?
What version of Kinsky are you using?

eamonn

2012-04-20, 15:42
Hi eamonn,

I am using Kinsky version 4.2.7 and Davaar 4.5.3 on the DS.

Regarding the switching of the source I may have misinterpreted you: I can change the source via Kinsky on the DS but not on the KK. This would indeed point to problem with the RS232 cable connection.

Linn KDSM/1 | LP12 | Linto | Lingo | Spectron Musician III Mark 2 Monoblocks (full options) | B&W N800 | Kimber Select and Linn Silver cabling | Ripnas Statement | Isotek Aquarius
Linn KK/1 | Accuphase A-50V | Renew DS/1 | Gallo Reference 3.5 | Gallo Reference 3 S.A. Amp | Kimber Select cables
2012-04-20, 15:51
(2012-04-20 15:42)ilduro Wrote:  Hi eamonn,

I am using Kinsky version 4.2.7 and Davaar 4.5.3 on the DS.

Regarding the switching of the source I may have misinterpreted you: I can change the source via Kinsky on the DS but not on the KK. This would indeed point to problem with the RS232 cable connection.

Hi ilduro

Ok, it's possible you have the RS232 cable connected to the wrong port on the Klimax DS, through no fault of your own (some early KDS products had the RS232 ports labelled wrong on the back panel).

Please connect the RS232 cable to the other port on the KDS then power cycle the KDS. It is important to power cycle the KDS after changing the RS232 cable connection.

eamonn

2012-04-20, 16:04
eamonn, tried that, too, but no success. I plugged the cable into the other port on the DS. I can still see the volume numbers on Kinsky but they will not change any longer as I increase the volume on the remote. Think this one may be a dead end. BTW, my KDS is a 2009 build and was upgraded last year.

2012-04-24, 14:50
(2012-04-20 16:04)ilduro Wrote:  eamonn, tried that, too, but no success. I plugged the cable into the other port on the DS. I can still see the volume numbers on Kinsky but they will not change any longer as I increase the volume on the remote. Think this one may be a dead end. BTW, my KDS is a 2009 build and was upgraded last year.

Hi ilduro

Did you power cycle the DS after plugging the cable into the other RS232 port on the DS?

eamonn

2012-04-24, 17:20
(2012-04-20 13:24)ilduro Wrote:  Hi eamonn,

Does the volume display on the Klimax Kontrol change when you adjust the volume on Kinsky?

- no, it doesn't

Does the source change on the Klimax Kontrol when you change source on Kinsky.

- yes it does and the KK switches to the new source

What source did you choose to rename on the Klimax Kontrol when following the instructions on the Docs site.

- 'Analog 1' source on the KK was set to 'Klimax DS', however 'Analog 1' is still greyed out. Startup source is also set to 'Klimax DS'.

In Konfig, under Extra Information next to the KK symbol, I have a message saying "RS232 controlled device does not appear to be connected".

ilduro,

not wanting to confuse things, as I'm sure Eamonn will help you to resolve this, in Konfig, under the Klimax DS Configuration tab, what do you have Name, under Device, set to? Is it the same as for the Klimax Kontrol name for the DS? I ask because I had a similar issue when my KDS was upgraded and I'm sure the resolution was to change the names as the updated DS no longer matched what I had on my Kontrol.

'troll
2012-04-25, 11:23 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-25 11:23 by eamonnb.)
(2012-04-24 17:20)moomintroll Wrote:  ilduro,

not wanting to confuse things, as I'm sure Eamonn will help you to resolve this, in Konfig, under the Klimax DS Configuration tab, what do you have Name, under Device, set to? Is it the same as for the Klimax Kontrol name for the DS? I ask because I had a similar issue when my KDS was upgraded and I'm sure the resolution was to change the names as the updated DS no longer matched what I had on my Kontrol.

'troll

Careful...it's the Room name (not Device name) that needs to match on both devices (KDS and KK) in Konfig.

Thanks for mentioning this moomintroll. I was assuming this was already understood, since ilduro said he had followed all the instructions outlined on the Docs site regarding RS232 control here...

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Systems

eamonn

2012-04-25, 11:57
(2012-04-25 11:23)eamonnb Wrote:  
(2012-04-24 17:20)moomintroll Wrote:  ilduro,

'troll

Careful...it's the Room name (not Device name) that needs to match on both devices (KDS and KK) in Konfig.

Thanks for mentioning this moomintroll. I was assuming this was already understood, since ilduro said he had followed all the instructions outlined on the Docs site regarding RS232 control here...

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Systems

eamonn

Thanks for spotting that one, Eamonn, it was a while ago...

'troll