Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-23, 23:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Info / Forum and Web v / Volume control via Kinsky

Volume control via Kinsky
2012-04-25, 20:38
RE: Volume control via Kinsky
Hi guys, ummm, I think I should have it straight. Let me attach some screenshots to make sure.

(2012-04-25 11:57)moomintroll Wrote:  
(2012-04-25 11:23)eamonnb Wrote:  
(2012-04-24 17:20)moomintroll Wrote:  ilduro,

not wanting to confuse things, as I'm sure Eamonn will help you to resolve this, in Konfig, under the Klimax DS Configuration tab, what do you have Name, under Device, set to? Is it the same as for the Klimax Kontrol name for the DS? I ask because I had a similar issue when my KDS was upgraded and I'm sure the resolution was to change the names as the updated DS no longer matched what I had on my Kontrol.

'troll

Careful...it's the Room name (not Device name) that needs to match on both devices (KDS and KK) in Konfig.

Thanks for mentioning this moomintroll. I was assuming this was already understood, since ilduro said he had followed all the instructions outlined on the Docs site regarding RS232 control here...

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Systems

eamonn

Thanks for spotting that one, Eamonn, it was a while ago...

'troll

Linn KDS/1 | LP12 | Linto | Lingo | KK/2 | Spectron Musician III Mark 2 Monoblocks (full options) | B&W N800 | Kimber Select and Linn Silver cabling | Ripnas Statement
Accuphase C-2400 | Accuphase A-50V | Renew DS | Gallo Reference 3.5 | Gallo Reference 3 S.A. Amp
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-26, 10:05
(2012-04-25 20:38)ilduro Wrote:  Hi guys, ummm, I think I should have it straight. Let me attach some screenshots to make sure.

Hi ilduro

Those screenshots indicate that you have your Room names matching on both devices.

One other possibility is perhaps your RS232 is disabled on the KK. You can check this by entering the setup menu via the front panel of the KK. Put the KK into standby then hold down the Standby button until the setup menu appears. Now use the Source buttons to cycle through the menu until you reach "RS232 Connection". It should say "Enabled". If not press the Volume +
button to change it to enabled. Now press the Standby button again to exit the menu.

Now power cycle the KDS.

eamonn

Majik DS-I - Akurate 2200 - Akurate 212, Sneaky Music DS - Komponent 104
2012-04-26, 15:10
(2012-04-25 11:23)eamonnb Wrote:  Careful...it's the Room name (not Device name) that needs to match on both devices (KDS and KK) in Konfig.

Thanks for mentioning this moomintroll. I was assuming this was already understood, since ilduro said he had followed all the instructions outlined on the Docs site regarding RS232 control here...

eamonn

I'm pretty sure I need to match the device name om the KDS with source name on the KK to make it work properly.I tried to rename my KDS source to "KlimaxDS" rather than "Klimax DS" just to make the whole name fit in the display. Didn't work. It showed up as a new source instead rather than as my playlist source. Also, Playlist lost volume control.

KDS - KK - KCT - Akubarik/p
ADSM - A2200 - A212 - A226
MDSI - M109
2012-04-26, 16:01
same problem....kinsky doesn't control volume, with plugplayer everything works fine....

ralf

LP12-Ekos-Akiva-Lingo-Uphorik-Keel-Devialet-KDS-B&W
2012-04-26, 16:46
(2012-04-26 15:10)Lunch Wrote:  I'm pretty sure I need to match the device name om the KDS with source name on the KK to make it work properly.I tried to rename my KDS source to "KlimaxDS" rather than "Klimax DS" just to make the whole name fit in the display. Didn't work. It showed up as a new source instead rather than as my playlist source. Also, Playlist lost volume control.

Hi Lunch

Yes, you're correct - the source name of one of the sources on the preamp must exactly match the Device name of the DS product being used for RS232 control.

But ilduro appears to have this setup correctly from what I can gather from the screenshots he's posted.

eamonn

2012-04-26, 16:48
Yes, ok. I read your post to say that only room name need to match. Sorry.

KDS - KK - KCT - Akubarik/p
ADSM - A2200 - A212 - A226
MDSI - M109
2012-04-26, 16:52
(2012-04-26 16:01)T38.45 Wrote:  same problem....kinsky doesn't control volume, with plugplayer everything works fine....

ralf

Hi ralf

Could you elaborate please? What is your setup? Have you followed the detailed instructions on our Docs site here?...

eamonn

2012-04-26, 17:58
Hi eamonn,
I will check my settings again tomorrow!
Don' t understand why pp works and kinsky doesn't...

2012-04-26, 20:46
Could check it now- it works!! Cool - thank you!
I had a different words for source and pre "kds" and "KDS W", changed both to KDS .... tadaaaah :-)

Ralf

2012-04-28, 04:50
Hi eamon,

RS232 is enabled on the KK...

Perhaps it really is the cable.

Cheers!

(2012-04-26 10:05)eamonnb Wrote:  
(2012-04-25 20:38)ilduro Wrote:  Hi guys, ummm, I think I should have it straight. Let me attach some screenshots to make sure.

Hi ilduro

Those screenshots indicate that you have your Room names matching on both devices.

One other possibility is perhaps your RS232 is disabled on the KK. You can check this by entering the setup menu via the front panel of the KK. Put the KK into standby then hold down the Standby button until the setup menu appears. Now use the Source buttons to cycle through the menu until you reach "RS232 Connection". It should say "Enabled". If not press the Volume +
button to change it to enabled. Now press the Standby button again to exit the menu.

Now power cycle the KDS.

eamonn

Linn KDS/1 | LP12 | Linto | Lingo | KK/2 | Spectron Musician III Mark 2 Monoblocks (full options) | B&W N800 | Kimber Select and Linn Silver cabling | Ripnas Statement
Accuphase C-2400 | Accuphase A-50V | Renew DS | Gallo Reference 3.5 | Gallo Reference 3 S.A. Amp