Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-08-01, 08:45 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Music v / Prices

Prices
2012-04-23, 18:41
Prices
I would hope linn would respond to this thread ... Removing it would be a mistake.

KDS 1/KK1D/Lejonklou Tundra Monos/242s with latest bases
Oppo 105 as processor / LK140 / Katan rears
Cambridge Audio NP30 / AV5103 / Twin D / 109s
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-23, 19:01
Prices
Ok I've just seen the bits about proxy servers so perhaps Linn might not want to keep those bits. However a response to the pricing disparity would be very welcome.

KDS 1/KK1D/Lejonklou Tundra Monos/242s with latest bases
Oppo 105 as processor / LK140 / Katan rears
Cambridge Audio NP30 / AV5103 / Twin D / 109s
2012-04-23, 19:26 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-23 19:39 by Briain.)
RE: Prices
(2012-04-23 18:35)mickc Wrote:  I've tried CyberGhost vpn, which allows 1GB per month free, or unlimited if you pay. That makes HDT think I'm in Germany and I can purchase tracks that way.
However, I'd not be surprised if this entire thread disappeared at some point; I can't see the folk at Linn being too happy about it, quite understandably, for a variety of reasons.

Mick

Hi

You can select USA then plonk in the HD Tracks URL and it works just fine (Doors album being downloaded now; just to test functionality). I can definitely see this thread being deleted!! Big Grin

PS PayPal asked me to confirm my particulars, security information and change my password, so just to be super-safe, after doing that and buying the album, I immediately opened a fresh browser tab, logged directly into my paypal account and then changed my PayPal password (and the two security questions) once again! I think it was either a coincidence or that the source address triggered PayPal to confirm who I am, but you have to be super careful when bouncing through a third party and entering secure info (I think the https bit will protect you, but far better being safe than sorry)!
2012-04-23, 20:17
CyberGhost limit of 1GB for the free trial may be an issue depending on what you download.
Both The Who Tommy at 24/96 and Eagles Hotel California at 24/192 are over 1GB
Doors at 24/96 should hopfully be OK for you :-) as its shorter than Tommy

Peter
2012-04-23, 20:27
(2012-04-23 18:35)mickc Wrote:  However, I'd not be surprised if this entire thread disappeared at some point; I can't see the folk at Linn being too happy about it, quite understandably, for a variety of reasons.
Which would, if it happened, speak volumes.
N

NickP
K-DS/1, KK/D, Klouts, Keltiks; Furman Elite-16 PF Ei
LP12, Lingo, Ekos, Arkiv-B in storage.

Always buy the very best you can afford, or the cheapest; anything else is a compromise, and compromises seldom satisfy.
2012-04-23, 22:31
(2012-04-23 10:19)NickP Wrote:  
(2012-04-22 23:20)abl Wrote:  HD tracks isn't a problem to use. All you need is a hotmail account a paypal account. I don't use them that much but the occasional album is ok.

This is not true.
As has been mentioned in plenty of places on this thread - and on others - HDTracks applies a filter that prevents the purchase of (and even the sight of) albums that are not licensed for sale in the geographical area to which the client's IP address is registered.
I would guess, from what you are saying, that either you only purchase materials that are licensed for sale in to your territory, or that HDTracks' IP filter has not yet caught up with your IP address - as was the case for me: I was able to continue shopping at HDTracks for at least six months after others were reporting their "ban".

N

I bought The Doors today.
2012-04-23, 22:55
It's just that they haven't yet listed the address range issued by your ISP. As with NickP, I was fine for months after others were being blocked, but that Doos album was blocked when I tried (several times) a few days back. The CyberGhost trick worked a treat and it was very quick, so it looks like they've got it well sorted out. I dare say there are quite a few companies offering a similar VPN+proxy product set, so it'll make for some very interesting research on who's offering what and for how much. To be honest, I suspect that I've got most albums I want from the ones likey to now be blocked, but who knows what the future will bring and thus whether a paid service might be the way forward.

Bri
2012-04-24, 20:38
Brian,

Did you have The Doors already on CD - was the 24/96 version worth the time/effort in your opinion?

Not asking for a double blind test -that's another post that's running :-)

In my view The Who's Tommy is very worthwhile and the Eagles' Hotel California too although I doubt the 24/192 version is all that different from the 24/96 version. I am not about to buy the 24/96 it to find out though.

Like you I am done for now apart from perhaps that Doors album.......

Peter

Peter
2012-04-24, 21:26 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-24 21:29 by Briain.)
Hi

I've only had a very brief listen, but not tried the double blind drunk thing; yet! Smile

I played a few seconds of two tracks on the original, then the same on the 24/96 and one thing that's immediately obvious is that it's quieter. I reckon playing the old one at 55 (on the KK) is equivalent to the 24/96 at 63 or more, so it might mean less compression (but I'd need to hear more to verify that). It does sound very slightly different, so it might be mildly remastered or just that the compression has been throttled back a wee bit, but I'd really have to spend more time than a few 15 second comparisons. On these quick checks, I think the bass was a little lighter on the 24/96 one (just a fraction) but I guess that could just be a side effect from the overall mix being less compressed. I could also be wrong about that bit; it was a very brief listen!

After the above swift comparisons, I played the first couple of minutes from The End, then whacked on the 24/96 one and played it to the end (appropriately). I think the percussion was better and one thing I did notice was when the organ chords were hit (about 1:20 in) it was just the abslute job! Smile I'd need to compare it to the previous one again, but I'm sure that organ was a little richer and more realistic sounding.

So, I really can't say for sure as I've just not had time to assess things (I've been too busy domg other things - joinery and painting in my house - to listen to music) but my gut feeling is that it might be worth procuring. I do have to stress that I've not really spent any time comparing them, so the above is just a very quick first impression. if I get time lat this week, I'll whack it on loud through the day (when the neighbours are out) and compare them properly.

Bri

PS Please excuse any typos; I'm using the dreaded iCrap thing to type this.
2012-04-24, 22:07
Its hard to know whether the mix is different and that's the primary difference you hear. For Tommy I'd say it has better attack (percussion and plucked strings), separation of notes and separtion of instruments. This can make the bass seem a bit lighter in places but I think its the separation of notes rather than having them smeared together that's doing this. The bass is as deep as the CD but better defined.

If I get time, and the inclination, I may try down sampling it to see if its the bit rate or the mix that is the difference. However its a bit of a moot point as the only way to get this version, which I prefer, is to buy the 24/96 copy. So whether its the bit rate or the mix, I'd go for it.

The first 24/96 album I bought was from Kate Bush, who sells it directly from her web site, http://www.katebush.com. And yes you can buy it in the UK using good old pounds.

On the page about the album it has the following about "normalization", which may go some way to explain what we hear as the difference.

And getting back to the title of this thread, she sells if for £14.99 which given tax differences between the US and UK, is just on the high side of OK and much better than £18.

To preserve the maximum audio quality in her recordings, Kate mixes all of her audio on to 1/2 inch tape at 30ips. The analogue tape is then digitally mastered using 24bits at 96KHz. Moving to 24/96 increases the dynamic range and frequency response of the digital process well beyond the levels perceivable by the human ear. 24/96 takes full advantage of the low signal to noise ratio of digital technology while still preserving all the aspects of the original sound waves.

In the recording process all of the audio is recorded at a level that ensures there is sufficient “headroom” in the mix to avoid any clipping. Clipping is distortion that occurs when the recording level exceeds 0dB.

Traditionally when mastering for final production on CD, the 24/96 master will be “normalized” to 0dB as part of the mastering process. Normalizing the recording effectively introduces digital amplification to ensure the maximum dynamic range offered by the CDs 16bits is utilised. This normalisation is critical for a 16bit recording as any “headroom” in the recording will have a significant impact on the dynamic range. For example -6dB of headroom in a recording would only utilize 15 of the 16bits available.

Unfortunately the normalization process introduces quantization errors in the recording - i.e. some bits of the recording may be unintentionally rounded up or down as part of this process. However the balance between quantization noise and loss of dynamic range is an accepted part of the 16bit mastering process.

At 24bit resolution, the issues surrounding dynamic range are not applicable as a 24bit recording provides an additional 48dB of dynamic range over a 16bit recording.

With Kate’s high resolution downloads we have chosen to leave these recordings at the level they were mixed on the studio tape. We have deliberately chosen not to “normalize” these recordings to avoid introducing any quantization noise as described above. As a result, you may notice that the 24/96 files sound quieter when replayed on 16bit devices such as MP3 players or portable CD players.

Peter