Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-01, 19:16 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Music v / Prices

Prices
2012-04-20, 14:25 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-20 18:22 by NickP.)
RE: Prices
(2012-04-20 14:03)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Until you listen to both how do you know the quality is the same?

Well, I did ask, in my initial post, whether the Scottish bits would be the same as the North American ones (<tongue firmly in cheek> perhaps American ones are louder?</tongue firmly in cheek>)

The picture of the album cover is the same, as is the list of works & performers. Of course, it's possible that two different products were made from the same source, a higher-quality one for sale in Europe and a lower-quality one (2/3rds. the quality...) for sale only in the USA. But that seems a little unlikely, no?

NickP
KELRDSM, Klouts, Keltiks; Furman Elite-16 PF Ei
LP12, Lingo, Ekos, Arkiv-B in storage.

Always buy the very best you can afford, or the cheapest; anything else is a compromise, and compromises seldom satisfy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-20, 16:51 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-20 16:59 by NickP.)
I've had two private messages asking how to set up a proxy server so one can appear to be based in a different territory from where one actually is.
There are two parts to it:
1) Get access to a server whose IP is registered to the desired territory;
2) Forward traffic to it for onward delivery.

In terms of 1), I followed the guidance of an earlier post, and took out a trial subscription here.

2) Once subscribed, ProxySolutions then provides an IP address and port number to use. These are entered in your web browser; in the case of Internet Explorer, open the "Tools" menu, then select "Internet Options". Select the "Connections" tab, click the "LAN Settings" button and, on the following window, check "Use a proxy server..." and enter the IP and port as provided, like this:

The effect of this is for all your internet traffic to be forwarded to this server, from which it will be directed to your requested destination. Any website you visit will see requests as coming from the proxy, and will reply to it, not your PC.

Hope this helps.

NickP

Always buy the very best you can afford, or the cheapest; anything else is a compromise, and compromises seldom satisfy.
2012-04-20, 17:46
Hi

One of my friends has just asked where I obtained the 24/96 version of Steely Dan - Gaucho (he want's to buy a copy) and I was pretty sure that I bought it from HD Tracks, but I've just looked and it shows there as being no Steely Dan albums at all; is that an example of one that is now unavailable due to me having a UK IP address?

Can someone in USA (or someone who is trialing the proxy server) please have a quick look to see if that album is available and what price they are charging for it? If it is there, I'll let him know and he'll maybe give the proxy a try (as he really wants the HD version of that album and I must admit that I'm rather curious to see if he can successfully obtain it).

Bri Smile
2012-04-20, 18:02
(2012-04-20 17:46)Briain Wrote:  Hi

One of my friends has just asked where I obtained the 24/96 version of Steely Dan - Gaucho (he want's to buy a copy) and I was pretty sure that I bought it from HD Tracks, but I've just looked and it shows there as being no Steely Dan albums at all; is that an example of one that is now unavailable due to me having a UK IP address?

Can someone in USA (or someone who is trialing the proxy server) please have a quick look to see if that album is available and what price they are charging for it? If it is there, I'll let him know and he'll maybe give the proxy a try (as he really wants the HD version of that album and I must admit that I'm rather curious to see if he can successfully obtain it).

Bri Smile

Funny what is available and not. Steely Dan - No; Mark Knopfler - No, but the Bonnie Raitt one Slipstream is (but only this one). So it seems that ones on offer (that they email me about) are but general searches bring a null result.

The world will end on 1st May 2014....
2012-04-20, 18:05

Bri Smile

Hi Bri,

I'd also noticed that things like Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss was no longer available in the HiRes Store and wondered if they were only being licensed for download for limited periods. I'd be interested to know if they are actually tailoring visible content to location

'troll
2012-04-20, 18:09
(2012-04-20 18:02)grimreaper46 Wrote:  

Bri Smile

Funny what is available and not. Steely Dan - No; Mark Knopfler - No, but the Bonnie Raitt one Slipstream is (but only this one). So it seems that ones on offer (that they email me about) are but general searches bring a null result.
Steely Dan - Gaucho is available on HDTracks, its their search engine and menus that appear to be lacking. If you navigate to Browse Music and The Classic 100 you will find it
Peter

Peter
2012-04-20, 18:12
(2012-04-20 17:46)Briain Wrote:  One of my friends has just asked where I obtained the 24/96 version of Steely Dan - Gaucho (he want's to buy a copy) and I was pretty sure that I bought it from HD Tracks, but I've just looked and it shows there as being no Steely Dan albums at all; is that an example of one that is now unavailable due to me having a UK IP address?
I clicked on "Artists", chose "S", then waded through to the seventh page, clicked on Steely Dan, to find "Album not available."
(2012-04-20 17:46)Briain Wrote:  If it is there, I'll let him know and he'll maybe give the proxy a try (as he really wants the HD version of that album and I must admit that I'm rather curious to see if he can successfully obtain it).
The three-day trial of the proxy is free, but they allow only one such per subscribing IP.

N

NickP

2012-04-20, 18:13
(2012-04-20 18:05)moomintroll Wrote:  Hi Bri,

I'd also noticed that things like Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss was no longer available in the HiRes Store and wondered if they were only being licensed for download for limited periods. I'd be interested to know if they are actually tailoring visible content to location

'troll

Raising Sand is also available in The Classic 100

Peter
2012-04-20, 18:14
(2012-04-20 18:09)peter@57m Wrote:  
(2012-04-20 18:02)grimreaper46 Wrote:  

Bri Smile

Steely Dan - Gaucho is available on HDTracks, its their search engine and menus that appear to be lacking. If you navigate to Browse Music and The Classic 100 you will find it
Peter

Indeed it is - Raising Sand is there too.

Many thanks for that.

'troll
2012-04-20, 18:21
(2012-04-20 18:09)peter@57m Wrote:  Steely Dan - Gaucho is available on HDTracks, its their search engine and menus that appear to be lacking. If you navigate to Browse Music and The Classic 100 you will find it

Ah yes! At USD17.98 - but the geographic filter stops me from putting it in my basket.

I reckon the "hiding" of albums is to prevent us either from being disappointed, or from making a fuss.

N

NickP