Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-08-21, 13:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / AKIVA on a ITTOK LVII ?

AKIVA on a ITTOK LVII ?
2012-04-21, 07:23
AKIVA on a ITTOK LVII ?
Hi all,

I am pursuing the upgrade of my LP12.
I am already enchanted by the current combination but I wonder if it is better to change the arm to go for the Ekos SE before the Akiva or to stay with the Ittok and go for the AKIVA right away.

So what combination will work best ?:

ITTOK-AKIVA or EKOS SE-ARGO i

Thanks for your advices.

Best regards,

JLV

LP12 SE, Lyra Etna,
tuner: MD106T
pre: Audiophile Technologie "Theoreme 4.s",
amp: Nagra monoblocks 845 VPA,Cardas balanced Golden Cross cables
Living Voice Macassar Ebony OBX-RW, silver-0FC & PTFE cables

around 5 000 pampered LPs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-21, 07:36
RE: AKIVA on a ITTOK LVII ?
[quote='JLV' pid='190176' dateline='1334989426']
Hi all,

I am pursuing the upgrade of my LP12.
I am already enchanted by the current combination but I wonder if it is better to change the arm to go for the Ekos SE before the Akiva or to stay with the Ittok and go for the AKIVA right away.

So what combination will work best ?:

ITTOK-AKIVA or EKOS SE-ARGO i

Thanks for your advices.

Best regards,

JLV

(quote)

Hi

The difference between an Ittok and Ekos SE is so huge you could even go:

ITTOK-AKIVA or EKOS-SE ADIKT.

The Ekos SE would still easily win even with such a modest cartridge. I have several customers who have Ittok with Akiva , as they previously ran Karma's, Troikas etc and have always used a top quality MC. However the investment in an Ekos SE will show through regardless of the cartridge used so for you EKOS SE- ARGO i makes complete sense.

Regards

Colin Macey. WYSAH Beaconsfield.

www.whatyouseeandhear.com
www.wysah.com
01494 681300.
email colin@wysah.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-04-21, 07:50
I remember deming the ekos when it first came out. The dem was ittok/ troika v ekos/k9.

Everybody bought the Ekos as it was streets ahead.

Regards
2012-04-21, 12:12
I have seen some comments which state that Audioorigami rewire etc level the playing field for Ittock and Ekos.
This may be a way to improve on Ittok and still have a decent cartridge Wink

black ash LP12 (pre circus), black Ittok LVII, Dynavector DV-20X,Plattamat, Heed orbit, Edwards Audio Apprentice, NVA P50 / A40's, Rega Ela MK1.
2012-04-21, 15:55
I agree with Colin and salamonscream. You definitely will get better musical performance by going with the Ekos SE, even with a lesser cartridge than you now have. I also don't believe there is anything in the way of upgrades that can bring an Ittok even close to an Ekos SE. The structural improvements to the Ekos SE are so great it makes it a completely different, and far superior, arm to an earlier Ekos, much less an Ittok.

LP12 SE Movingui • Radikal/1 • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • Akurate DS • Klimax Kontrol/2 • ATC 100As • Harmoni Mimer Rack
AV system: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol/0/D • 2x LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • LK2-75 • 2 Dahlquist DQ1W subs

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s for over 35 years!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-04-21, 16:37
JLV, I concour with the above replies. If you go down the Ekos SE route then an Akiva is the logical end result and what a combination.

But, if you are desperate for a new cartridge then the Akiva will work great in an Ittok but will not be maximised as it would with an Ekos SE. I was really impressed with the improved quality of everything about an SE Ekos, both in physical and musical terms. I still prefer the Naim Aro though.

I just recently changed from a new retipped Troika to an Akiva and it was definitely the right path for me at this time as it is gorgeously musical and dynamic and light years ahead of the Troika. It does mean that it will be Christmas before my final Keel funds are in place. But what a Christmas it's going to be as the combination of Keel Aro, Aro and Akiva will be something else.

Flat

KR
The Flatearther
An Orange coloured Dansette powered by Dynamik from a Supercap.
2012-04-21, 17:17
(2012-04-21 12:12)skiffle0 Wrote:  I have seen some comments which state that Audioorigami rewire etc level the playing field for Ittock and Ekos.
This may be a way to improve on Ittok and still have a decent cartridge Wink

I've had my Ekos rewired by Audio origami and to my ears it was a vast improvement. More controlled and deeper bass, more open treble, voices were a bit more prominent and intelligible and with a better soundstage. For £200.00 or there abouts it's a fantastic upgrade.

If I had the money I'd put a Audio Origami PU7 on my LP12.

[Image: P1000252.JPG]

Thanks to analogueinnovation for the pic, hope you don't mind.
2012-04-21, 19:56 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-21 19:56 by Eeyore.)
Apart from system hierarchy theory saying it's better, I'd go for the SE, and not get an Akiva until the rest of the LP12 is maxed out. I've gone from Ittok to Ekos 2 to SE, all with an Adikt. In that time, I've had several Adikt replacement styli, and dabbled for a while with a s/h Klyde - if I'd had to fund replacement Akivas, I'd never have got the money together for an SE!

An SE is an investment that should last for a very long time - I've recently seen a 30-year-old Ittok pass the swing test with ease. And musically the SE is a big step forward from an Ekos 2.
2012-04-21, 20:32
Thanks to all of you for taking time to read and answer!

No doubt now.
As soon as I can I will upgrade to Ekos SE and will keep the Argo i which I find fantastic. Then...

I jumped in one jump from a "no nothing"198x LP12 to a Cirkused, Keeled, Radikalised trampolinised and Urikised LP12 and I can tell that the shock was amazing.

That's why the quest is not over!

Warm regards,

JLV

LP12 SE, Lyra Etna,
tuner: MD106T
pre: Audiophile Technologie "Theoreme 4.s",
amp: Nagra monoblocks 845 VPA,Cardas balanced Golden Cross cables
Living Voice Macassar Ebony OBX-RW, silver-0FC & PTFE cables

around 5 000 pampered LPs
2012-04-21, 20:37
How about adding a Khan to the Ittok/Akiva combo? How would this stack up against the SE and existing cartridge?[/align]