Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-23, 20:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / Akiva vs Dyna Te Kaitora Rua in Aro

Akiva vs Dyna Te Kaitora Rua in Aro
2012-04-21, 14:18
Akiva vs Dyna Te Kaitora Rua in Aro
Hi interested in opinions on this comparison IF, you have actually heard them please, as they are roughly the same price as opposed to the DRT.

KR
The Flatearther
An Orange coloured Dansette powered by Dynamik from a Supercap.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-21, 14:30
RE: Akiva vs Dyna Te Kaitora Rua in Aro
Chalk and cheese. You need to hear it yourself.

Strathklyde Sondek [by Cymbiosis] Big Grin
Sennheiser HD800 cans
Everythin' else is from Salisbury baby Wink
2012-04-21, 14:55
Honey I know it's chalk and cheese, describe the chalk and describe the cheese please.
Flat

KR
The Flatearther
2012-04-21, 17:31
Chalk is hard and cheese is creamy? Tongue

Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Dem Seminar" Alumni
Main: AK-0/ADS-0/2250/AV5125/AV5140s/Rythmik Audio F12SE Sub/Furman Elite 15i PF Linear Filter
Cave: LP12/Ekos/Arkiv/Lingo/Creek OBH-15/Sonos ZP90/PS Audio DL III DAC/Direktor/Katans
Spares: 2250/Ittok LVII/Karma/NAIT 5i/Cyrus One/Rega Kytes & R1
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-04-21, 18:06 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-21 18:07 by Cymbiosis.)
(2012-04-21 14:30)honeymonster Wrote:  Chalk and cheese. You need to hear it yourself.

Cough!! Erm, apples and pears Julian please! Big Grin

Having just posted in answer to the very same question on the Naim Forum just a few minutes ago............ Maybe I'll just copy and paste my reply there, below here:

Quote:It comes down to the individual, and an A/B demo is really recommended for you to be sure which way is best for you to go as I said just the other day.......................

Hopefully, I'm not about to break forum rules in trying to illustrate this point! But I find that I supply big Dynavectors and Akivas in roughly equal numbers to Aro owners!

So it really is a judgement call you guys need to hear and then make. Don't buy blind.

Something else which hopefully reinforces the above:

Think of a nice image.... A country scene or maybe a car............................ Would you prefer a really excellent painting or would you like a really well taken photograph?

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 01162 623754
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
www.cymbiosis.com
2012-04-21, 20:34
(2012-04-21 18:06)Cymbiosis Wrote:  [quote='honeymonster' pid='190235' dateline='1335015015']
Chalk and cheese. You need to hear it yourself.

Cough!! Erm, apples and pears Julian please! Big Grin

Having just posted in answer to the very same question on the Naim Forum just a few minutes ago............ Maybe I'll just copy and paste my reply there, below here:

Quote:It comes down to the individual, and an A/B demo is really recommended for you to be sure which way is best for you to go as I said just the other day.......................

Hopefully, I'm not about to break forum rules in trying to illustrate this point! But I find that I supply big Dynavectors and Akivas in roughly equal numbers to Aro owners!

So it really is a judgement call you guys need to hear and then make. Don't buy blind.

Something else which hopefully reinforces the above:

Think of a nice image.... A country scene or maybe a car............................ Would you prefer a really excellent painting or would you like a really well taken photograph?

KR

Peter

Ah, oh enlightened one, still looking for the PRaT answer though, Master?
Flat

KR
The Flatearther
2012-04-21, 21:32
I have not heard this particular Dynavector so I cannot comment on the comparison. But I note that Peter says he supplies Akivas and "big Dynavectors" in about equal numbers to Aro owners. From what I've seen in the posts these 'big Dynavectors' seem to be mostly form the DRT series. If I am correct I would think this says something all by itself.Wink

So, which one is the photograph and which is the painting?

LP12 SE Movingui • Radikal/1 • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • Akurate DS • Klimax Kontrol/2 • ATC 100As • Harmoni Mimer Rack
AV system: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol/0/D • 2x LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • LK2-75 • 2 Dahlquist DQ1W subs

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s for over 35 years!
2012-04-21, 22:02 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-21 22:03 by linnrd.)
Quote:Something else which hopefully reinforces the above:

I had to think about this one, Peter. After a cuppa tea and ruminating, I think I prefer to just look at it and imagine.... The warts disappear and the good stuff remains. I do get your point, though. The interesting (to me) question is which one leaves the listener with a happier recollection of the music?

PS: If it's a car, I don't want either; I just want the car! If it's a bike, I think I'd be in serious trouble from the Minister of Finance.

Computer->non-regurgitated Seafood->[in flux]->Horny plastic things
2012-04-21, 23:53
Wink RE: Akiva vs Dyna Te Kaitora Rua in Aro
Well two can play the copy paste game

Also on the N forum:

I have been present when an Akiva and a T.K. Rua where compared in an ARO. The TT however was a Michel Orbe rather than an LP 12.

I will echo Peter's general comment. They are both excellent.
To my ears the sound of DV particular to the T.K. Rua and at a higher level in the XV -1s is very clean and resolved. There is no area in the sound range where the DV's are out of control including the high treble. They are also very musical.
The Akiva has a little more fun in its presentation which is characterised by a little less control but not as a detriment more as a coloration which is very enjoyable.

So both carts are very good at what they do and as Peter says it will come down to individual tastes and perhaps favourite music genres. Listen to both if you can.

regards
Geoff

Klimax DS/1 + frm the darkside: NAC552-NAP500-Kharma Ceramique 2.3s - Orbe SE - K & K (DIY) Phono stage
2012-04-22, 08:49
(2012-04-21 14:18)i'The FlatEarther Wrote:  Hi interested in opinions on this comparison IF, you have actually heard them please, as they are roughly the same price as opposed to the DRT.

Hi

Have heard both and they are both good as said already. One thing of interest is that you are a Naim man. Paul Stephenson has done the comparison and uses an Akiva. He knows more than most and uses equipment that is probably superior to anything Naim currently sell , but it's still just his own expectations and choice which may be different to yours.

Regards.

Colin Macey. WYSAH Beaconsfield.

www.whatyouseeandhear.com
www.wysah.com
01494 681300.
email colin@wysah.com