Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-11-01, 14:05 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / Polishing Outer Platter

Polishing Outer Platter
2012-04-29, 12:39
Polishing Outer Platter
It appears that a lot of the photos of the LP12 people show in this forum have LP12 with a very nice polished outer platter.

The outer platter on my deck is still the original from many years ago (that the plinth and felt mat - everything else is new).

My platter is not damaged in any way but is dull in it's looks. How do people get their outer platter to shine and keep it this way? I believe that the platter has a coating, so metal polish is out of the question.... I have tried plastic polish, etc. but I think the underlying metal has lost it's shine.

I am assuming that all the nice platter I see in the pictures are not always new platters....

Or is a new platter the only way for me to go?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-29, 12:49
RE: Polishing Outer Platter
The simple answer is DONT!!

I seem to remember that the Mazak alloy is photo sensitive and will tarnish no matter what you do.

As you pointed out taking the thin laquer layer off with polish will only cause the platter to tarnish even faster.

Regards
2012-04-29, 12:59 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-29 13:43 by Mr Onion.)
Personally I do not like a shiny platter.

Mine (some 30+ yrs old) was looking very manky, so I cleaned it with some 'Stainless Steel' wipes Heresy I know.

Its given a lovely even satin/matt finish which I think looks good with the fluted afro plinth.

(No pics I am afraid. No matter how much I try the photo looks nothing like the actual item)

For great music recommendations, and more, look no further than the HiFiKabin
2012-04-29, 13:26
(2012-04-29 12:39)Fernar Wrote:  It appears that a lot of the photos of the LP12 people show in this forum have LP12 with a very nice polished outer platter.

The outer platter on my deck is still the original from many years ago (that the plinth and felt mat - everything else is new).

My platter is not damaged in any way but is dull in it's looks. How do people get their outer platter to shine and keep it this way? I believe that the platter has a coating, so metal polish is out of the question.... I have tried plastic polish, etc. but I think the underlying metal has lost it's shine.

I am assuming that all the nice platter I see in the pictures are not always new platters....

Or is a new platter the only way for me to go?

Hi,

I was always advised not to polish and 25 years down the line my original dull outer platter will I'm sure match the Khan top plate very well when I have one fitted.

ttfn

RR

LP12-Keel-Aro-Dynavector XX2 Mk2-Urika-Klimax Radikal/Klimax DS/ Klimax Kontrol/ Klimax Solos/ Kudos C30's
2012-04-29, 15:12
The new outer platters are now diamond turned and laquered more carefully than before with a more even finish. It is still important though not to touch the laquered surface because fingerprints left behind will corrode the finish leaving permanent marks. Many people on these boards advocate the wearing of white cotton gloves whilst housekeeping the turntable.

Also the new outer platter is usually best mated to a new inner platter usually done when a Cirkus upgrade of the main bearing assembly is carried out. If you were to polish your old platter, you would be advised to first remove ALL the laquer with a thinner such as Nail Varnish remover ( Acetone based ).

Then polish the platter with a very fine compound ( white ) and buffer. Then degrease thoroughly with spirit wipe. Then spray with 2 or 3 coats of clear acrylic 1 pack laquer ( ICI do a clear 1 pack laquer that is superb ).

Or buy a new one for about £180=00.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-04-29, 21:21
Hi,

I agree with James. I am not keen on a polished platter, for me it looks out of place on the LP12 (a bit too "bling", although it may just be that I prefer what I am used to). I have only ever used a slightly damp paper towel to wipe mine and it seems to have survived the last twenty odd years pretty well.

If you do polish without replacing the laquer I think that you will be giving yourself a never ending job.

Are different quality platters used on different models of LP12?
I ask because I was not impressed with the finish on a new LP12 that I saw in a Colchester dealers last year, and I seem to remember another thread where a contributor was concerned about marks beneath the laquer on a new model platter.

Best wishes, Guy.

black ash LP12 (pre circus), black Ittok LVII, Dynavector DV-20X,Plattamat, Heed orbit, Edwards Audio Apprentice, NVA P50 / A40's, Rega Ela MK1.
2012-04-29, 23:00
I originally opted to polish mine back in 1994 because the lacquer was blistered and bubbled in quite a few places and dark pits were showing, had been like that since i bought the deck 3 years earlier, but i decided I was fed up seeing my prized LP12 that had taken me 8 years to acquire looking tatty.

I know a few people on here will frown but i used paint stripper on the outside face of the platter to remove the remaining lacquer and wiped it clean with an old towel.

I used (and still do) Autoglym metal polish (white like toothpaste) to give it the shine, one small dab into the tube with a cotton bud is enough to do the job, rub that onto the platter edge and i use household yellow polishing cloth using my thumb on the dab of polish the cloth soaks most of it up and the cloth then does most of the work while rubbing around the platter, i then fold the cloth so that the clean area of cloth is in contact with the platter and a 2nd cloth for my other hand and i hold the platter like a steering wheel with the record surface towards me and i rotate the platter anti clockwise with both cloths and clean off the remaining residue and keep doing this until there is nothing left to remove.

the finish tends to last around a year before it starts dulling, however if you get any finger prints on it the platter starts to tarnish wherever you touched it, and obviously you will get dulling around the top of the platter from finger tip touches from taking the records off. in the photo of my deck in the show us your LP12, the platter was last polished around 11 months ago.

I usually re-polish once a year at the same time i clean out the bearing and replace the oil, so it's sort of an annual service for me.

I always intended to respray it with lacquer but never got around to it, given the hint by Eddie to use ICI acrylic i may just get around to it.

I'm not sure about the platter material being photo sensitive but just like all metal alloys that do not have a protective coating it is always going to be vulnerable to tarnishing and acids in fingertip grease will accelerate it even faster.
2012-04-29, 23:05
If someone has an older tarnished platter kicking around and is attempting to polish it, I would be VERY curious to see how S100 works on it as a protective coating. It seems to do a darned good job on aluminum motorcycle engine blocks that are more exposed to harsher conditions (no problems in over a year of exposure to roadgrime/salt/gravel/etc), and I was wondering how it would fare in a domestic environment.

Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff
2012-04-30, 02:04
The most important surface of the outer platter is the one that mates with the inner platter. This area also is prone to tarnishing and oxidisation. Has anyone any useful tips for cleaning this area?

Thanks
Andy
2012-04-30, 07:56
I have a very early LP12, serial number 108 purchased new in ,73/74.
I polish the platter rim every two or three months using Brasso!!
Yup - the bog-standard stuff - not even the stainless steel version!
All I can say is that it looks amazing next to the SME3009 S2 Imp arm I fitted new when I first got the Linn.